Thread: Other muscles getting tired

Wannabebig Member

Other muscles getting tired

Hello everyone,

I just have a quick question im hoping someone can help me with.

Lately i've been noticing that when i do back and chest workouts, by other muscles are getting way tired before the actual muscle im trying to work on.

For example, today i was working on chest and noticed that if i want to get my chest tired before my biceps i have to move my hands all the way to the end of the bar.
    Is this caused by having a weak chest or weak biceps? or is my form wrong?

Now for my back here's the routine i currently am on:
    Latpulldowns to Front - (use underhand grip)
    Deadlifts
    T-Bar Row
    Seated Low Pulley
    Shrugs

I tend to do either a 5x5 or 3x8 depending on how i feel that day. But everytime i do a back day, i never feel like ive acomplished enough. I've seen good gains in everything else (even in my chest despite the problem mentioned above) but my back is still giving me troubles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i don't really understand your question - but from what i'm getting if your biceps are feeling that weak on bench then strengthen them. just don't go overboard. and remember, muscle soreness isn't always the best indicator of making progress in the gym.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I don't know why your biceps would be affected by bench pressing. But, there are plenty of shrug variations to hit your back without involving the arms. Or just deadlift more.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    I don't know why your biceps would be affected by bench pressing. But, there are plenty of shrug variations to hit your back without involving the arms. Or just deadlift more.
    i was thinking the same thing, but i guess if your biceps were extremely weak this could happen?
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Hey guys, thanks for the info.

I'll definently take the info into consideration.

Some of the responses seem to be confused by my question, which is probably my fault for not clearly stating my problem.

When im doing the benchpress, the only time i actually feel my chest being worked is when i have my hands all the way to the end of the bar. If i have them any closer my biceps get tired.

So, ill just strengthen them a bit and see how that works.

Auburn, can you give me some variations to try for my next back day?

Quote Originally Posted by LDIas View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for the info.

I'll definently take the info into consideration.

Some of the responses seem to be confused by my question, which is probably my fault for not clearly stating my problem.

When im doing the benchpress, the only time i actually feel my chest being worked is when i have my hands all the way to the end of the bar. If i have them any closer my biceps get tired.

So, ill just strengthen them a bit and see how that works.

biceps as in muslces on the front part of your arm right? those shouldnt get tired at all. what kind of bench press you doing?
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

Quote Originally Posted by LDIas View Post
    Kelso's Shrug Book is a good place to start. Also, this thread from another board (requires registration) talks about some of the shrugback/shrugdown ideas:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/for...ead.php?t=9679

Here is a good read about activating the pecs during the bench press:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/blo...with-the-pecs/
    Last edited by Auburn; 05-05-2008 at 03:34 PM.

Are you sure you don't mean triceps? Because that would make much more sense. Anyways, a wider grip uses more chest and less triceps, a more narrow grip uses less chest and more triceps.

Footballer
    He has to be triceps, the only thing I would suggest if you want to make sure your chest fatigues first is to pre fatigue it with some chest flys or something.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks again for all the info.
    And no its not my triceps its definently my biceps. Im going to try all of the suggestions here and see what kind of results i get

Thanks

When i first started benching I had the same issue, you're probably not recruiting the right muscle when benching . As you learn better form and all your muscle grow this will fade.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Wannabebig New Member
    I have the same issue. My chest is still getting a workout since it's sore the following day, but my triceps force me to stop before my pecs get that tired.

I'm doing some flys following the benchpress to target the pecs a bit more.

Your biceps are getting fatigued from bench, another guy's chest is getting worked from chinups...what are you people doing?

Even IF you don't know much about how muscles work...doesn't it seem odd to you? You must realize what the biceps do...curls etc...since benching is more similar to the opposite of that...how could your biceps do anything but stabilize? Ahhh, wait.

Have someone watch you bench from the side. Your forearms should be perpendicular to the ground. If the bar is lower than that, your biceps may need to work to prevent the bar from collapsing onto your stomach.

Does it feel like you are actually benching with your biceps, or does it feel like they are just getting strained?

And I assume you aren't doing anything crazy like underhand bench or anything...

Wannabebig Member
    I used to do underhand, but that hurt my wrists so i changed that, so thats not whats happening

Next time i work on my chest ill post an update on how it went

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    When i first started benching I had the same issue, you're probably not recruiting the right muscle when benching . As you learn better form and all your muscle grow this will fade.
    True. Also, try this. Do a set of incline flyes and with no rest and a moderate (not too wide -- shoulder width max) grip immediately do incline BP, really focusing on a sloooow negative movement, touch the chest, pause one sec, explode up. Slow and controlled on the way down, pause, explode upward. Your chest should get hit.