The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Maximum Effort Bench Question using chains and bands.

I wanna ask any of you that are knowledgable about chains lets say if my maximum bench is 500lbs and i am trying to get stronger if i was to have on the bar 470lbs and 40 lbs of chain and go for a single and try to go up every week for either a single or a double or whatever would that be a good maximum effort exercise i am trying to understand how they bench over at westside on maximum effort days with bands or chains. i know there are a lot of other exercises like floor press board press incline decline but i am mostly interested in chains and bands.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

That would be a good ME exercise, yes. Now you have to find 2-3 other good ME exercises to go along with that one. If you just do bar weight+chains every week, your body will adapt. Thats the whole point behind the conjugate system...picking exercises that are similar to the exercise you are trying to improve and changing the chosen exercises every week or two.

For example if you are trying to improve your bench. Youl would pick 3-4 exercises similar to the bench press. Say floor press, 2 brd press, rev band press...then you can add chains or bands in on floor press and 2 brd press. Very basic idea of WSB benching...hope that helps some anyway.

I'm by far no expert on anything, but a Westside template has you switch your ME lift every week. So I don't think doing the same lift every week and adding more chains or weight would technically be Westside style. They cycle their lifts for a few weeks and follow the conjugate method. Travis Bell could tell you a lot more than I could about Westside; I'm just speaking about what I am familiar with. I hope that helped somewhat!

Edit: beaten to the punch!
    Last edited by jbrin0tk; 05-05-2008 at 08:12 PM.

I can appreciate your enthusiasm. I know the articles can be difficult to understand, but keep at it, once you get the hang of this stuff it becomes second nature.

As for that workout, yeah, thats an OK start. You'll warm up with the bar, put the chain weight on there and then work up to a single. The other thing you can change is the grip, index on the smooth, thumb length from the smooth, pinkie on the ring and competition grip.

Do you have bands?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I can appreciate your enthusiasm. I know the articles can be difficult to understand, but keep at it, once you get the hang of this stuff it becomes second nature.

As for that workout, yeah, thats an OK start. You'll warm up with the bar, put the chain weight on there and then work up to a single. The other thing you can change is the grip, index on the smooth, thumb length from the smooth, pinkie on the ring and competition grip.

Do you have bands?
    Thank you all for the replies everyone has been very helpful.Now travis i want to ask you a question when you all warm up to a single how does your sets and reps look. what im trying to ask like you for example after you warm up with like 315 what weights and how many more sets would you do before you get to that single and what is the rep range if any that you try and stick to. Thanx travis for your help.

We're all a little different, Wolf might chime in and say what he does, but what I do is warm up with the

barx12
    135x12
    225x5
    315x2-3
    405x1
    455x1 etc

so really I stop doing reps after doubles at 315. Thats far away from my max, but there is no reason to keep doing reps if you want to hit a max single

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Oh i almost forgot you asked do i have bands yes i have the mini monster mini and light and strong pair. but the chains i only have 40 lbs currently i thought i read you all at westside use a pair of 90 lbs of chain if that's the case then i need to buy some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    We're all a little different, Wolf might chime in and say what he does, but what I do is warm up with the

barx12
    135x12
    225x5
    315x2-3
    405x1
    455x1 etc

so really I stop doing reps after doubles at 315. Thats far away from my max, but there is no reason to keep doing reps if you want to hit a max single
    Ok travis so you all kind of make your own sets and reps or does louie tell you what to take? forgive me i am not to familar with the exact method that you all use i have the westside tapes but i was under the impression that louie trains you all. i guess you really just have to experiment a little with the sets and reps and stuff.

well Lou does train us all, but the warmup is kinda personal taste. it doesn't really matter

We try and make at least a 5lb PR on that given movement. Thats what Lou wants to see. He'll also comment on form.

Lou isn't a dictator though. Many times he'll ask you want you want to do for the day, and then discuss pros and con's of that. Thats how he teaches you.

As for the reps, we always work to a single on ME day. Dont' do doubles very often.

The chain weight is variable. We've used up to 200lbs of chain weight before. You just keep track of your PR's at a given chain weight and beat them next time.

I had very good success rotating bands and chains but will all my lifts except Incline but that might be a good on band inclines or chains on Incline if u set them right. Has anyone ever thought about doing those?
    Best Raw Squatter and Sponsored by the Best AtLarge Nutrition, Titan, and APT.

Quote the Priest Nevermore PriestCometh's Avatar
    I usually rotate:

Bands(full range)
    Chains(full range)
    Bands(2 board)
    Chains(2 board)
    3 Board presses
    Pinpresses
    Pinpresses(chains)
    Pinpresses(bands)
    Close Grip Bands(full range)
    Close Grip Chains(full range)