The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How Many Times A Month Do You Deadlift?

Trying to get some feedback on the DEADLIFT on here bros! How do YOU train the pull? List your workouts here.

I am presently doing mini off season cycles

1. RACK PULLS OFF A 4 INCH BOX

2. HEAVY GMS

3. PULLS AGAINST THE BANDS

4. HEAVY GMS

AND SO ON...

Semper Fi

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i usually do something like

week 1- deadlifts of some sort, against quaded minis or from plates

week 2- assistance stuff, pull thrus, etc

week 3- GM's

with a deload thrown in there every now and then.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

i alternate squat and deadlift, so each week will be heavy the only difference is i will start with deadlift, my last 3 deadlift workouts were stiff leg with no belt, rack pulls with quad minis, and reverse band with no belt.
    2000 or bust

for the last year i've been doing ME reverse bands one week , jump stretch bands for speed the other week.

I think i'm going to switch it up now. maybe regular DL, zerchers, reverse bands, back to regular DL.

I was deadlifting every week, but alternating between a speed/volume day and an ME day. Now I am deadlifting off the floor every other week with the non-deadlifting weeks doing rack pulls, GM's, or SLDL's or RDL's. De-load every 5th week.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I deadlift pretty heavy once a week. I try to do variations of He-mans HOSS program. Ill do a few warm up sets and then 5 x5 with a moderate weight, or Ill go a lil heavier and 4x4 or ill really test myself and go as heavy as i can and still rep it out for 3 sets of 3. (this a week to week basis, not all in one work out lol)

Then for other back movements, Ill throw in either Tbar rows or DB rows and I always try to hit up lat pull downs and seated rows.

Its working, my back has never been this strong or this thick!!!

Lewy
    Last edited by Lewy23; 04-30-2008 at 08:41 AM.

Banned
    There are weeks I pull twice a week. Ours right now looks something like this:

1. Pulls from floor
    2. Rack pulls
    3. Good mornings
    Repeat

Banned
    We also hit the posterior chain pretty hard with the wider stance box squats of various sorts as well, then accessory work like GHRs, pull throughs, RDLs etc.

i like heavy squats and high rep stiff leg DLs one week, then heavy pulls and high rep SSB squats or box squats the next. thats on sat or sun, then on weds i start off with heavy bent rows then nothing elase that taxes my low back. started draggin sled backwards recently and love that.

basically, heavy set of 3-5 on first exercise, then alot of volume with lighter weight on the other so

squat up to heavy set of 5
    stiff leg DL 3x10 double overhand

next week
    pull up to heavy 3-5 from floor, off blocks and from deficit
    SSB squats 3x10 or ssb box squats 5x5
    All Time 198 Squat Record of 1,050 pounds
    http://ironscene.com/view_video.php?...e=&category=tr

All Time 220 Squat Record of 1,100 pounds

** 1063 squat , 611 bench, and 733 deadlift for 2408 Total
    All Time 242 Squat Record of 1,108 pounds At 228)
    ** 1108 squat , 639 bench, and 700 deadlift for 2447 Total

What I Lack in Genetics, I Make Up For With Determination and Discipline

Wannabebig Member
    i pull twice a week every week D.E and M.E

Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROCK View Post
    Trying to get some feedback on the DEADLIFT on here bros! How do YOU train the pull? List your workouts here.

I am presently doing mini off season cycles

1. RACK PULLS OFF A 4 INCH BOX

2. HEAVY GMS

3. PULLS AGAINST THE BANDS

4. HEAVY GMS

AND SO ON...

Semper Fi

i'm the same as you rock... i've switched all my ME exercise over to mini cycles for deadlift ONLY to break over 700. I suck at squatting so only do it on DE day.

good mornings
    rack pulls
    pulls off a box
    pulls against bands
    reverse band deads
    repeat...
    Last edited by thewicked; 04-30-2008 at 07:05 PM.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Quote Originally Posted by thewicked View Post
    i'm the same as you rock... i've switched all my ME exercise over to mini cycles for deadlift ONLY to break over 700. I suck at squatting so only do it on DE day.

good mornings
    rack pulls
    pulls off a box
    pulls against bands
    reverse band deads
    repeat...
    given any thought to thats why u may suck at squatting? if u just dont like them, then thats a different story
    Last edited by Big_Byrd52; 04-30-2008 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Byrd52 View Post
    given any thought to thats why u may suck at squatting? if u just dont like them, then thats a different story
    just never been good at it.. i love pulling and benching..and even like squatting. But I can't consistantly stay in the mid 600's. One day I'll smoke it..the next time i squat I dont' even come close. I've changed my stance to a wider stance to give me more stability which helped ALOT but now I have a problem getting depth. It also kills my right elbow supporting the weight..but I'm wearing sleeves to fight that.

again i'm sure squatting by myself since there's no local clubs can't help much.. but..

Variety of squat bars might help as well

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Variety of squat bars might help as well
    Agreed. Maybe it's just your training methods for squat. Tweak it a little and maybe your squat will start to improve and you'll like it better!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by thewicked View Post
    just never been good at it.. i love pulling and benching..and even like squatting. But I can't consistantly stay in the mid 600's. One day I'll smoke it..the next time i squat I dont' even come close. I've changed my stance to a wider stance to give me more stability which helped ALOT but now I have a problem getting depth. It also kills my right elbow supporting the weight..but I'm wearing sleeves to fight that.

again i'm sure squatting by myself since there's no local clubs can't help much.. but..
    were u squatting and pulling heavy on different days? i know my back and hips cant take that kind of beating. if u go all out on a squat day it will beat u up for a good 2 weeks. i know this is a dl thread, but if u throw up what u used to do for squats and pulls maybe we can get ur squat movin again.

and i used to train squats by myself for years... i squatted maybe once a month. the rest was done on the hack squat machine. go ahead and laugh, but it built up decent squat and i didnt need spotters or to go heavy every time

WESTSIDE BARBELL MONSTER.

sam big big big big byrd squat ha ha lol

well sam is right about using machines to help squat i used heavy smith squats at one time to learn how to drive with you legs better and keeping chest up and tight ,hey that might laugh but it worked also high reps do alot for the time of cycle you are on so it works .anyways whats up sam thanks for the tip getting fat boy time ha ha lol keep in touch bro..ps you going to ipa pro am meet?
    Last edited by squatzilla phil; 05-01-2008 at 10:57 AM.
    squatzilla.com atlarge nutrition.com inzer advance designs.#1 squatter of all time 905,at 181 bw. 7 all time world records in the squat at 181 . #6 all time total at 181 2077, #4 total alltime total at 198 # 2240 # 4 squat all time at 198 960. westside barbell .elite total in 4 weight classes 165 through 220.

i do conjugate training on my ME days on mondays for the lifts listed above to help get my pull up.. if i don't break 700 in 3 months i'm goingto be pissed! HAHA..

i'm just trying to maintain my squat in the low 600's.. it's not my priority but i want respectable numbers when i go to my next raw meet. typically I squat on a parallel box working..

barx20x1
    135x10x1
    225x8x1
    318x8x1
    500x5x1
    585x2x3

with a goal of getting 585 for 5 before moving up... then i'll do leg curls and leg presses or front squats. that's IT..i just work up to working with 585 for doubles or triples for now until it gets easier.. i used to use bands but it KILLEd my low end power. I've recnetly changed to a wider stance and went with 635 and got it going but gave up..my own fault. I like the wider stance stability but I'm just not progressing in the squat.

Quote Originally Posted by squatzilla phil View Post
    well sam is right about using machines to help squat i used heavy smith squats at one time to learn how to drive with you legs better and keeping chest up and tight ,hey that might laugh but it worked also high reps do alot for the time of cycle you are on so it works .anyways whats up sam thanks for the tip getting fat boy time ha ha lol keep in touch bro..ps you going to ipa pro am meet?
    Definately. i need to get my entry form in, just been busy the last few weeks. ill have it out on monday. You goin 198 or 220? i havent decided yet, but im eatin good!

Right now I am doing heavy deadlifts (it changes between conventional and sumo although I pull sumo in contest) 3 times a month and straight leg deadlifts also 3 times a month.

Previously I was doing each 4 times a month and it was just too much for me. I've spread it out so I only pull heavy every 10 days and this seems to be keeping my hips a lot happier!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Lexen Xtreme
    I pull heavy every other week, and on the weeks I don't pull I try to get some speed pulls in at around 50% 1RM, as these have given me pretty good carry-over to heavy pulls. Even on heavy days, I'm not just doing a regular deadlift, but rather out of a rack, against bands, from a deficit, and so on. As long as you're getting other heavy squat and lower back work, you don't need to pull heavy every week.

Banned
    i pull roughly 6-8 times
    about 4-6 max outs

I never seem to be able to train my deadlift like my squat or bench.

I wont deadlift for weeks, then Il deadlift 2 times a week for 4 weeks and make great gains and then drop off for a couple of weeks because of over training then stop deadlifting for a while and start all over.
    YOU CANT BUY STRENGTH

Feb-March I did this:

Tues: 5x3 DL off of 4" boards at 65%
    Wed: 5x3 DL 80%, 4x2 rack pulls 90%
    Sat: 5x3 DL, first two reps to knees with pause, third pause and to lockout, at 70%

That's a cut-down Sergey Ivanov program for sumo pullers. I don't think it would work very well doing conventional. Most of it is supposed to be done with suit bottoms and a belt (except the deficit work, that I think is belt-only), but I don't use a DL suit.

Currently I just do the Wednesday workout weekly, alternating between rack pulls and pulls to the knee every week. The volume didn't bother me so much, I just wanted to train no more than 3 times a week to free up time for other activities, and I squat the other two days (I never do both in the same workout, but I usually do GMs with squats). I dropped pulling off of boards since I don't have any problems with starting strength right now.

I have recently had good results from doing heavy deadlifts every other week and weekly. Weekly seemed to have worked on my nerves quite a bit. I'm now going to move into a 3 day per week Upper/Lower split and plan to really pull heavy from the floor or deficit on the weeks that I only have one lower body session. On the weeks where there are two lower sessions I am going to do high rep stiff leg deadlifts on one of the days. I'd really like to work snatch grip deadlifts into the mix but I don't need to focus on too many things. I have a goal of making a raw Elite total this year in the SPF@181lbs so I gotta use the things that give the results.