The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Why do you lift?

To feel confident? For the ladies? Athlete?
    Height: 5'11
    Starting Weight: 112
    5/15/08

Current Weight: 122 (+8)
    8/25/08
    Stage: Bulking

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Footballer
    Athlete, It feels word not lifting for a few days. I've been lifting for about 7 years now.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

My dad was a powerlifter. So I started lifting when I was about 10 years old. Never stuck with it, pops never coached me consistantly. Then got to high school and I played football and wrestled so I lifted for that. Then once I started college I lifted bc it kept me sane then took a long while off and now I'm back doing it because I enjoy it. I like the progress I make and I also enjoy the confidence it gives me. Its not confidence stemming from being the strongest or looking good, its just knowing that i can **** up how every i want in anyway but at the end of the day I can always walk back in that weight room and do what I have to to get back on top. So i guess its confidence stemming from the regularity and nonjudgmental nature of the weights.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Gamer/Lifter
    I like cause I like being strong. I also enjoy the feeling of getting some really good phyiscal labor in. In today's society very few poeple actually have a labor type job, most of us work in offices and buildings and so forth. Than we go home and lay about? Even me who loves doing that can't do it too much.

I also used to enjoy the stares I got when I was about to hit some big weight, now since i'm restarting I don't get those looks, just give me some time.

I lift cause I enjoy it, I enjoy being in shape (I used to be in shape) and I enjoy the sport.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    many reasons, started out for sports, now im addicticted, for vanity purposes i love looking and feeling better and beging stronger, attention from ladies and everthing, plus now i cant imagine not doing it, i just down right love it, hell i skip going out in the middle of the week just so i can lift, ive gotten to the point to where lifitng a barbell in the middle of the week gives me more satisfaction than a beer can, plus it makes the beer more rewarding at the end of the week
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

For me it mostly has to do with taking pride in my body. I love the results I've seen from lifting so far and WBB certainly deserves credit for giving me the knowledge I needed to become one of the biggest and strongest people at my school's gym.

Also gotta love the challenge of stacking the weight and pushing your limits to see if you can lift more than you ever have before. Setting goals and accomplishing them is fun!
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117 View Post
    I like cause I like being strong. I also enjoy the feeling of getting some really good phyiscal labor in. In today's society very few poeple actually have a labor type job, most of us work in offices and buildings and so forth. Than we go home and lay about? Even me who loves doing that can't do it too much.

I also used to enjoy the stares I got when I was about to hit some big weight, now since i'm restarting I don't get those looks, just give me some time.

I lift cause I enjoy it, I enjoy being in shape (I used to be in shape) and I enjoy the sport.
    Totally agree with this statement. In my mind, if you have a sedentary job, lifting weights is a necessity. I know when I am working at my construction job, I feel much better and sleep better too. I think humans are meant to have to do some physical labor, or else they go to pot. Which they do.
    age---------22
    weight------140 145 150 155 160 165 170 and counting
    height------ 5'9"

Bench 225x1 | Squat 325x1 | Deadlift 355x5
    My Journal

Remember - if it were easy then everyone would do it.

I got sick of being considered a 'pretty face' in 10th grade, I think it was. Being where I'm from, Yonkers. I didn't like that I was looked as at that down here. So I've gained about 50 lbs roughly. Not bad weighing 180 at 8% bodyfat, 5 foot 6.
    Last edited by wnt2gitswoll; 05-08-2008 at 10:42 AM.

I like to move heavy things. I've always either been fat or a bigger than average guy from lifting. Right now I'm on PSMF and I've thought of just cutting, and thats it. I just don't want to stop making progress. I want to see what its like to be average, how girls react, etc. I just don't see myself being like that. I even thought of taking up boxing or something to try to make me stay at a certain bodyweight. I sit there, I've tried CrossFit and Rosstraining.... it bores me. Yes it is difficult but I get no fufillment out of doing 100 pullups 200 pushups and 300 squats when I can take 300+lbs, squat it 5 times, and go sit for 3 minutes. Plus, I like food. But I'm so confused

Banned
    Lifted mainly for football then later college football, then when I was done, with the influence of others I found PL, and learned that I really enjoyed it. Pretty good transformation as a result

9th grade - 5'11" 280lbs.
    12th grade - 6'4" 245lbs.
    Sr. Year college - 6'4" 320lbs.
    25 y/o - 6'4" 304lbs.

Banned
    I started lifting in high school for reasons of sports, vanity, and confidence (i was a super skrawny kid). I stayed the course the first few years in college, then found PL and did that and through there got into strongman on the side as well. After PL and SM I started lifting less and less for sports and more for just the sheer fun of lifting and hitting a PR/competing. Plus the camradarie with training partners pretty much qualifies lifting as a guys night out, especially on de-laods or fight nights!

It's fun and I like being/looking strong!

Vanity. I feel pretty, oh so pretty, I feel pretty, and witty, and straight.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

It it something I have complete control over.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Because my balls secrete this hormone that makes me want to lift heavy ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

Anger. A lot of anger and lifting helps me channel it and use it to my advantage. I feel focused after going to the gym. Like I've accomplished something important.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

Agreed. Lifting gives me self confidence as well, plus other people especially teh wiminz like it aswell. So it's all good
    Last edited by fooz; 05-08-2008 at 01:37 PM.
    19 5'7 235
    No Belt/Wraps
    Squat ATG: 335x5
    Bench: 315x2
    Dead: 420x4

Journal:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-He-wants-MOAR!\

I lift so I have the strength to click on the search button...

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post

i lift coz it helps me with my job, i wanna go into public order part of the police and deal with the riots

Gamer/Lifter
    Totally agree with this statement. In my mind, if you have a sedentary job, lifting weights is a necessity. I know when I am working at my construction job, I feel much better and sleep better too. I think humans are meant to have to do some physical labor, or else they go to pot. Which they do.
    I totally see your point. I always thought the idea of an officer job would appeal to me. However since i've gotten on it doesn't. I remember doing fast food, I was always on my feet, always moving, always doing something. Now at my job I sit on my ass all day long and do jack ****. Hell in fast food job I ate like **** and felt better then I do now!

I think we are meant to labor throughout our lives.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    ROFL!

That being said - I'll contribute!

It used to be about being buff, but that made me lift just enough to start to get buff and then quit.

Now it's about being scary big and strong. I want to be bigger than Tim Harold.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

I didn't know there was another option

Wannabebig Member
    Where the Brisket is hot and the beer is cold
    IM already fat so I might as well be fat and strong