Thread: Calorie Cycling

Calorie Cycling

I've been cutting for about a months and a half. I've been progressing a lot on all of my lifts, but I've been stuck in some for the last 2 weeks. I'm sure the diet has caught up to me. I was wondering to continue on my gains, if I did a calorie cycling diet. Like 1 week eat just barely above maintenance, then for the next 3 weeks reduce calories by 100-150 each week for 4 weeks and then restart again. That way I'll get enough calories as far as maintenance and above 2 weeks, where I shouldn't put on very much, if any fat at all, but still get below maintenance for 2 weeks to lose body fat. For example
    week 1, 2500 calories
    week 2, 2400 calories
    week 3, 2250 calories
    week 4, 2100 calories
    then start back on week 1

I'm just wondering if any has tried anything like this before, or would suggest doing this diet as a way to keep muscle mass and reduce body fat.

I have never tried this before, but I'll bring it back up to the top for you.

IMHO, it looks to be a decent plan.
    I just dont know how much fat your going to lose overall...
    Push the envelope/Watch it bend.

Always in the Action Severed Ties's Avatar
    Yes, it's very effective.

You end up losing more fat when you give your body a 2-4 week break in the middle if cutting as it gives your hormones a chance to return to pre-diet conditions.

I'd also recommend you reduce your cardio and stop any stimulates.

ST
    "Your bench makes Jesus cry." -Shark

This is 10% luck, 15% skill, 20% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name...

Thanks for the reply, just wondering though, why would I want to reduce cardio and stop the stimulates? I mean, I have no problem with doing either, save money and time, but just curious as to why.

Always in the Action Severed Ties's Avatar
    Your body starts to resist further fat loss as you get leaner, so lets say you diet down and lose 3% bodyfat, but you already doing max cardio and taking stimulants 3x a day. The only thing left to do is cut calories, which will lead to some muscle loss. But if instead you take 2-4 weeks off dieting, your left your body adjust and hormones return non-diet levels so when you start cutting again, your starting fresh from a lower bodyfat, so you will lose bodyfat with minimum cardio and no stimulants again. When your body starts to stall you up the cardio....when you stall again you add stimulants...when you stall again rather than starve yourself and lose more muscle than fat you take a break....rinse and repeat until you've reached your desired bodyfat.

ST
    "Your bench makes Jesus cry." -Shark

This is 10% luck, 15% skill, 20% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name...