Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: if i want to bench twice a week

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    you could also, although a sometimes a pain to work out if you don't want to bench 3x a week, include ME RE and DE. I have great success with having DE once a week every week and then the second time I target the movement either do RE or ME. this way you can let your muscles rest for a decent amount of time. i think for an intermediate lifter 3x a week may get excessive really quick and with the aforementioned style (only 2x a week) you have potential for solid improvement with sufficient rest time.

also, don't be afraid of variations of the movements. if you feel like incline bench rather than flat for ME or RE, then do it. If you have a sticking point work on it with the variations. make use of all of the tools you can to get to your goal. it will keep you sane and improve GPP which not only is healthy but can aid your overall goals if planned for correctly (in the sense of diet and rest.)

very sound advice for what you want to do failed. take it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Wannabebig Member
    There is no set number of days you should wait in between workouts. Do what your body tells you. If your going for purely mass, you should lift that same muscle group again the first day when it is not sore at all. Personally, if I workout hard while going for mass(low reps, heavy weight) I'm sore for at least 5 days(depending on muscle groups). So twice a week for me, would be a stretch but maybe 6 times in a 4 week period. I would tend to agree with who ever said "don't bench twice a week". Diet and rest are equally as important to a great workout and lifting 2wice a week with same muscle group and same intensity could take away from important rest(which is where the muscles actually grow). But maybe y'all are just built better than me.
    Last edited by kramericaa; 06-03-2010 at 11:35 AM.

Banned
    Lot of misinformation in this thread...you can bench twice a week just fine. The key is controlling the volume and having enough recovery between days. The madcow 5x5 is built around benching twice a week, look it up. My bench went down when I switched to benching once a week on the 5/3/1 program so I am switching back to twice.

Wannabebig Member
    My bench went up Going once a week. Everybody is different, also depends on supplements, diet, rest, intensity. Comparing all of us as the same is like comparing apples to oranges.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kramericaa View Post
    My bench went up Going once a week. Everybody is different, also depends on supplements, diet, rest, intensity. Comparing all of us as the same is like comparing apples to oranges.
    Very true...good point. Try everything out and see what works best. I found that hitting squats and deadlifts once a week each with a lot of volume is best for me. However, hitting bench twice a week with less volume (madcow) is definitely the better routine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    I found that hitting squats and deadlifts once a week each with a lot of volume is best for me. However, hitting bench twice a week with less volume (madcow) is definitely the better routine for me.
    Sounds like a good combination.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighter_15 View Post
    I work all my muscles twice a week except legs. It all depends on how your body reacts to lifting. Some people I know only lift body parts once a week and some lift them twice a week. Try it out and see how your body responds. I have been working my chest/triceps out twice a week for almost 2 years and my bench has went from 160 to 290.
    Likewise. I bench twice a week, Wed and Sat. I feel i can recover in time and i dont have much pain when i go to bench for the second time. Having said that everyone is different. Give it a go. If its for you then keep going.