The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

What if you get TOO big???

Everyone has been telling me that I am really big, but I don't think so. I want to keep on getting bigger and stronger, but what If I get too big? Is there any way to make certain muscles smaller besides just stop training?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

well, the chance of you being able to get TOO big as in freakishly big are slim. unless youre juicing..

Quote Originally Posted by RPE7 View Post
    Everyone has been telling me that I am really big, but I don't think so. I want to keep on getting bigger and stronger, but what If I get too big? Is there any way to make certain muscles smaller besides just stop training?
    I would hope this question is a joke, but in case its not!

there are three ways I can think of.
    1. Each less and less food while continuing to work out.
    2. Workout in the 30 to 40 rep range with light weights
    3. Begin running long long distances every day.

Don't worry, you won't get too big... Trust me...
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

How big are you?(weight and height)

I didn't think too big was possible..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

I wish it were that easy. I don't think you have too worry about getting too big on accident unless you plan on being a jockey or something.

I disagree with some of the people posting in this thread. It kind of goes along with the thread someone made about curls and people's goals. Some people don't lift just to get as big and strong as possible; they do it for pure aesthetics. They still do the big 3 and have proper knowledge of the science behind lifting, but there's a point for some them where they simply don't wish to get any bigger.

To answer the question, yes, you can get too big. But that's all individual and dependent on that person's particular goals. For some, the sky is the limit.
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by platypus View Post
    I disagree with some of the people posting in this thread. It kind of goes along with the thread someone made about curls and people's goals. Some people don't lift just to get as big and strong as possible; they do it for pure aesthetics. They still do the big 3 and have proper knowledge of the science behind lifting, but there's a point for some them where they simply don't wish to get any bigger.

To answer the question, yes, you can get too big. But that's all individual and dependent on that person's particular goals. For some, the sky is the limit.
    I think you make a good point that it depends on the person's goals. I don't think anyone is at risk of getting big so fast they get too big before they can stop it. Almost everyone I've ever heard mention getting too big was using it to rationalize using a sub-standard training routine. Even if your goal was a modest increase in size and strength, why wouldn't you optimize your training to get there as fast as possible? After that, maintenance is relatively simple.

Thus I Refute Thee !!!! Bodyguard's Avatar
    Opinion dictates "too big".
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 238

All lifts are raw:

Bench: 325(max)
    Squat: 510(max)
    Dead lift: 500(max)

Soilwork addict.
    This is a subjective question formulated with no frame of reference for the target audience in a manner that seems to massage the poster's ego.

Therefore I deem it rediculous! Do not say such things aloud!

Good day sir!
    Last edited by 4g64fiero; 01-24-2010 at 05:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

Working toward the next.
    Getting big isn't easy...

Georgia Boy
    If that happens go to www.dontwannabetoobig.com

Soilwork addict.
    Quote Originally Posted by Transformer View Post
    If that happens go to www.dontwannabetoobig.com
    Thats effin sig worthy right thar.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

Person 1: Dude, your hyooge. How big are your arms?
    Person 2: 14 maybe 14.5
    Person 1: Oh yeah you would dominate the midget olympics. Sorry little ppl.

The only people who say that are little people. There will always be someone that is bigger and stronger. You should not really give a cr@p what they think anyway.
    Last edited by ironwill727; 01-25-2010 at 01:09 AM.

Too Big? Eat less.
    Last edited by Sidior; 01-25-2010 at 01:41 AM.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

i think disproportionate or unnaesthetic is the word
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132442

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...wner=rleopando

Squat - 375
    Bench - 265
    Deadlift - 425

Goal: BW/OH squat 185 LBS x 15 by summer 2010

not so little anymore Little John's Avatar
    There are some circumstances where being larger than normal is annoying, like high altitude trekking where there is less oxygen available than what this body needs, or buying a new pair of pants in Nepal, or racing go-karts on the weekend against people who are 1/3 of my weight... For these reasons, I try not to think about it and keep eating and lifting.

Wannabebig Member
    I never thought I would write this, but I too found myself wishing I was a little lighter and smaller when I was trekking in Nepal. I knew better than to try and buy pants there though. I could barely find jackets or sweaters that I could fit in. I love the Nepalese, but they are small people. I was like Andre the Giant walking through Kathmandu.

Quote Originally Posted by platypus View Post

I have to agree here as well.

The OP didn't give us much info but he could be a wrestler, MMA fighter, Boxer, where getting to big could move you up weight classes and make cutting back down very very hard and in some cases dangerous.
    Bench: Half a subway club
    Squat: to pee
    Deadlift: no thanks

don't let the 12" pythons fool you....i can run way faster scared than you can mad

Quote Originally Posted by RPE7 View Post
    None of that makes me think he's got any weight class issues, simply a guy who's non-lifiting acquaintances/friends/family say is 'really big', someone who wants to get bigger and stronger, but is now concerned he might get 'too big' based on the comments he receives.

It's a juvenile question, because the OP clearly has no idea what 'too big' means.

It takes YEARS of gut-busting effort to get truly BIG. Not to mention that for a natural trainee it would take some elite genetics to achieve anything that would really be considered "too big." The vast majority of us won't have to worry about it.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Well I can see what he means.

I weight about 210 on a good day. Not huge but "quite big" compared to most of my social group (skinny arts students in their 20s). When I was trying to get above 190 I always thought I'd be happy there. That was certainly around the time people started noticing and commenting on how much bigger I was. Then I wanted to get to 205 and now I'm thinking of bulking to 220. But other people think this would be too much. Last time I saw my mother she said something about not wanting me to get any bigger. My last girlfriend also thought I was at a perfect size around 200 and didn't want me to get too obsessed about it.

It's all subjective basically. And you'll find that as you get bigger, you'll never quite be satisfied with where you are. Not detracting from his amazing transformation but check Berfles's posts to see what I mean.

You just have to figure out what you want and be rational about it.

Fair point drummer, but if the OP is basing his decision on whether to continue getting bigger and stronger based on his friends/family, perhaps he should ask for their definition of 'too big' and not a group of men on a lifting forum.

Incidentally I've been 'too big' since I was 20 and despite gaining an additional 70lbs since then, I remain 'too big'. So either that 70lbs didn't make a difference to the way I look, or once passed average, it doesn't compute to the average folk.
    Last edited by Daniel Roberts; 01-25-2010 at 09:34 AM.

My first response was "is there such a thing as too big?". After thinking about it a bit, here's what I've got:

I think it all depends on what your goals are and what other activities you do. I have small feet, so carrying around my weight on the basketball court is a bit difficult on them. Saturday afternoons and Sundays (bball Sat. am), my feet hurt quite bad. When I was lighter, my feet rarely bothered me. New shoes and a bit less weight might help me out.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench