The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

The "ethics" of bodybuilding?

When I was growing up at home I would continually be called greedy by my parents for always demanding more food, and generally eating about three times as much as my family. I have a very fast metabolism and was about 6'4 tall by the time I was 16; I needed to bulk up hard for the rowing I used to do. I generally ignored the comments, and put it down to their jealousy that I could eat so much more!

But time moved on, now I live away from home, buy my own food and (shock) am probably slightly more mature, and I'm increasingly thinking of the same arguments:

-2008 is the year of the world food crisis
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...te-815437.html
    -Think of all the people starving in the world. And we eat to excess so calmly?
    -Ok, humans are meant to eat meat, but think about just how many animals we kill to satisfy our protein intake. When you think of strongmen who eat 20 chickens a week, does it ever seem excessive? Vegetarianism WOULD benefit the planet, but I'm not going to do it because from personal experimentation I feel slightly better when I eat meat and its easier to remain big and strong when I eat meat. These are purely selfish reasons.
    -The evils of factory farming. I don't know if any Brits on this board saw Hugh Fearnley-Wittingstall's Chicken Out campaign - I haven't eaten battery chicken since... Humans should at least look after the animals they're going to kill.
    -Think of all the grain used to feed the animals we eat, and all the land used for livestock instead of more grain. Surely if we were worldly-conscious we would be more efficient with our land use in order to try and feed as many people as possible? The political problems of this are such that some poor countries are using land to farm cattle that will be exported to America and Europe when they aren't producing enough basic food to feed themselves. They than have to use the money from ranching to import the necessary grain or rice from richer countries!

Ok, I think there are some pretty good responses to all these points. I know in some ways bodybuilders actually eat a lot better than most people, but there is still an undercurrent of selfish greed to it that I'm becoming more aware of. This isn't really directed just at bodybuilders, but more at the relentless consumption and greed of the human race. As for us guys, I sometimes think in an age of increasing food shortages, we're lucky to be able to wanna be big when others just wanna not starve.

Personally, I think the non-exercising obese ought to have their diets sorted out first but the questions over excessive food consumption still stand.
    Any thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Drummer there are a whole host of counterarguments to all of your points, however, I always think about the ethics of bodybuilding as you put it.

I think you're missing the grander view, is that bodybuilding, is inherently a luxury. It is not as wasteful as many other types, and it certainly provides many health benefits, but deep down it is a 'luxury' expenditure.

Understand that there are people starving all over the earth, understand that people die of diseases that could be cured rather easily, and understand while this goes on there are men and women who walk the earth that think spending 1 million dollars on a ferrari or $1,000 on a hand bag is perfectly ok, when one million dollars is enough to pay for the chair of a professor (enough to pay the salary for a full time professor at a university for their life time) and $1,000 is enough to pay for the food of a family for a year in some parts of the world.

This is just the nature of man, deal with it, or better yet, try to set a better example. In the long run, bodybuilding, compared to other forms of luxury is rather mild.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

I'm hungry, not greedy.

Banned
    I agree with nejar, it is definately a luxury that people in the developed world have as an opportunity before them. Is it fair to the people who are born into poverty? No. Maybe there is a social obligation to try to help people and maybe there isnt. If you have money, it is yours to do as you please, and a seller of a good can do as they please and sell to whomever they want. If they want to make a greater profit, they can sell to someone who will pay the most. If they want to do the most "good" in the ethical sense that you talk about above, then they can sell or give it to the person who needs it the most. At least in a capitalistic society it is anyway. Its all about billions and billions of personal choices everyday that people all around the world make.

Personally, I don't think its greedy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that starving people deserve it or don't matter, but I don't see any problem making choices that directly benefit you. A lot of people will see differently and think I am completely wrong/selfish, but I also think this is one of those things where no matter how much arguign or debating goes on, not many people will change their minds on the issue. Kind of like the whole evolution/creation/intelligent design thing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nejar462 View Post
    I think you're missing the grander view, is that bodybuilding, is inherently a luxury. It is not as wasteful as many other types, and it certainly provides many health benefits, but deep down it is a 'luxury' expenditure. In the long run, bodybuilding, compared to other forms of luxury is rather mild.
    No, I think that was actually my main point!

Certainly, it is not so wasteful and superficial as other forms of luxury expenditure. But it is more obvious and visceral, because you are dealing with primary resources: food.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    I also think this is one of those things where no matter how much arguign or debating goes on, not many people will change their minds on the issue. Kind of like the whole evolution/creation/intelligent design thing.
    Oh dear, please don't bring that into it!

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to convert anyone here. I'm a student who is content to spend a very large percentage of their budget on lots of good food. I was just wondering if ever people think, "hey, this is kind of sick..."

Don't feed me that line of crap. There are so many people that have it so much better then I do. I do what I can with what I have and I'm greatfull for what I do have.

I know not everyone is born into even "poor" conditions by our standards, but life is very unfair. Should people try to help those less fortunate? To an extent yes. Should they radically change the way they live and the things they do? No.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Oh dear, please don't bring that into it!

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to convert anyone here. I'm a student who is content to spend a very large percentage of their budget on lots of good food. I was just wondering if ever people think, "hey, this is kind of sick..."

Im sure they do in the sense of how much bodybuilders can eat. I honestly don't feel bad when I gourge. Again, some people may not see eye to eye with me on that one but thats jsut the way it is I think. Also, I don't thin ka lot of people on this board will have a problem with it lol. Maybe if you want to see a variety of responses go post it on a general forum not related to lifting. That could get interesting...

When you think of strongmen who eat 20 chickens a week, does it ever seem excessive?
    lol. There are over 6 and a half billion people in the world. Do you honestly believe that bodybuilders or strongmen represent a large portion of the meat consumed?
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

There have always been starving people, and there always will be. Just because I stop buying Tyson chicken does not mean that Tyson will put it in a box and ship it to Africa. Just because I eat a lot of food does not mean that someone else is being deprived (it may just be the opposite).

They way I think of it: If I don't eat the steak in my butcher's case, it's certainly not gonna be sent to Africa or Asia.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    lol. There are over 6 and a half billion people in the world. Do you honestly believe that bodybuilders or strongmen represent a large portion of the meat consumed?
    thats what i was thinking...lol

there cant be anymore than 3million "bodybuilders" in the world, i mean pros amateurs, and aspiring

i dont think we put that big a dent in the worlds food supply

i look at it like this here, i live in a country where im fortunate enough to get the food i need to survive, so when i get my hands on a steak or some chicken, ima bite the **** out of it!!!
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

I'm sure fatty ands overweight people account for FAR FAR FAR more wasted food then a bodybuilder.
    Nick V

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    No, I think that was actually my main point!

Certainly, it is not so wasteful and superficial as other forms of luxury expenditure. But it is more obvious and visceral, because you are dealing with primary resources: food.
    Then you should be attacking luxury as whole, not just bodybuilding.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    No of course not. This was my main argument when challenged by my family a few years back. But when you're young and not paying for your food bill its very easy to see no problem in eating loads.

In terms of quantifiable amounts of food consumed by body-builders and athletes, of course its pointless to even start. Its more the personal thoughts you have, that I was interested in. Ultimately, its best to be pragmatic about it and realize that body-builders aren't really a major part of the problem in food shortages. However its still important to realize that gluttony is perhaps inappropriate sometimes, regardless of its reason.

Of course then you just end up in my position ignoring food shortages and how much the starving would be shocked at my food consumption, whilst still feeling vaguely troubled by it all.

I haven't posted on this site for a while. I'd forgotten how confrontational people were, regardless of the tone of voice. It would generally seem that no, nobody is particularly bothered about this.
    Last edited by J.C.; 05-06-2008 at 04:26 PM.

Obese people are the ones wasting it. They even cause a burden on others because of it. I think it's fine to eat as much as I want. My strength has helped others many times (even if just slightly). I help people move, I do a lot my neighbors/parents/friend's parents yardwork. Granted there are people that you can pay people to do the same work, I usually do it very cheap because I enjoy working hard. Feels good to be exhausted after working really hard. Then I reward myself by stuffing my face with steak and potatoes.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    They way I think of it: If I don't eat the steak in my butcher's case, it's certainly not gonna be sent to Africa or Asia.
    Yeah no kidding.

I had a little job in loss prevention for a grocery store.

You wouldn't believe how much money/food/meat they HAVE to throw away everyday.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 05-06-2008 at 04:31 PM.

I would say obese fat heads are more to blame than body builders. They eat for naught, they have no purpose in there excess in resource consumption compared to the average individual. If a body builder wishes to consume more calories so be it they still do more for society than an obese person I would say. At the very least who wants to look at fat people? I say worry about the 50% obese people and if they'd consume mantanience calories that is an extra 3 or 4 people per obese person that you could feed i would say.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL View Post
    Don't feed me that line of crap. There are so many people that have it so much better then I do. I do what I can with what I have and I'm greatfull for what I do have.

I know not everyone is born into even "poor" conditions by our standards, but life is very unfair. Should people try to help those less fortunate? To an extent yes. Should they radically change the way they live and the things they do? No.
    So, you've basically missed his entire point, WBBIRL. What exactly is "that line of crap"? Stop feeling sorry for yourself ("there's so many people that have it so much better than I do") and realize that you have it better than probably 95% of the world just because you are sitting here reading this message. Chew on that for a sec, IRL.

He has a valid argument... think of how many acres of land you have to maintain to feed a cow for slaughter. There's a reason that people in SEAsia, Africa, SAmerica, etc., aren't chowing down on burgers at the same disgusting rate that Americans are. I read a perhaps apocryphal statistic that said it takes six times as much to eat red meat as it does to eat veggies. Fish/poultry were only three times as much. Don't ask me "as much what, Irish?" because I frankly don't remember, I just remember those as arbitrary units in my brain.

Drummer has a point, though - there is a legitimate food shortage in the world, and we are not helping the situation by being greedy and eating cows til uhhh the cows come home? Then we eat them again!

Does that mean that we should all go out, renounce all of our worldly belongings and eat rice gruel for every meal out of some misplaced guilt? Probably not - it just depends on how far you take it.

Are you going to be able to feed every starving child in Africa by renouncing meat from your diet? Hell no, you're just one person. But please please please dont' plug your fingers deep in your ears and comfort yourself by saying "it's ok if i do nothing - I'm only one person, after all". How about this for a compromise? Every time you make a gratuitously decadent food purchase (hmmm, a $50+ meal counts!), put a $1 into a fund and then after you've saved up a bit, go throw it into a microloan for food production in some faraway land. Like I said, you're not going to cure the problem on your own, but geez just imagine if all of us ate one less cow per year... who knows, it might make some difference.

Let me head off the flames at the pass - if you don't want to help out other people, fine - so be it. This is all just to get the wheels turning. Drummer, thanks for bringing this topic up - it's always been in the back of my mind when I go out and purchase expensive meat and salmon steaks which I justify as part and parcel of getting big/healthy.

EDIT: Oh, and let me say one more thing - does anyone honestly believe it when they tell themselves "I'm not a problem, the fat people are the problem!" While they may be a bigger problem than you, it's not helping alleviate world hunger when you slam down 3 or 4 pounds of red meat every week.
    Last edited by McIrish; 05-06-2008 at 09:36 PM.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

I don't want fed that line of crap for one reason.

I'm allowed to buy as much food as I can afford to buy. The way I earn that money is by working, and society has deemed my services at X amount of dollars per hour.

So what does it matter if I buy 10 pounds of chicken with my money or pump 30 gallons of gas into my big ole dodge ram pickup? (I don't actually have a dodge ram truck). It's my money and no one told me not to buy all that food because others need it more.

I don't think its wrong.

What I DO think is wrong is that so much of our tax money could be better spent for things of this nature. Send some of that over to those countries so they don't have to starve. How about instead of stuffing your pockets with all the taxes they dream up, do something good with the money.

But you won't see that. What you will see is gas going up $4 a gallon and higher, what you will see is milk at and going of 4$ a gallon. Our electric company has decided that they are in the near future going to DOUBLE their rates which are already insane as it is.

So I don't want to hear about that, and thats exactly why. There are countries in this world still developing, don't throw it in my protein guzzling face that they haven't done it as fast as we did.

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL View Post
    There are countries in this world still developing, don't throw it in my protein guzzling face that they haven't done it as fast as we did.
    haha, oh wow.

If every one of the 6.5 billion people lived the lifestyle you do, how long do you think our natural resources would last?

I almost feel like I'm being trolled
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Quote Originally Posted by nhlfan View Post
    haha, oh wow.

If every one of the 6.5 billion people lived the lifestyle you do, how long do you think our natural resources would last?

I almost feel like I'm being trolled
    haha agreed. I wonder why you have such a sense of entitlement? You are currently better off than probably more than 5.5 billion people on this planet, but yet you maintain a self-righteous "it's my right to do this because I can!" attitude? I'm just trying to help open your eyes, bro, but if you want to plug your ears and pretend there's nothing you can do... so be it, I suppose.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Gamer/Lifter
    Life ain't fair, yes their are people who are straving. In fact many of us eat enough to find 2-3 poeple along with oursevles. However life isn't fair, it isn't when your born and its not when you get older.

If you truly think of it though, bodybuilding keeps you healthly. I read somewhere obseity costs American millions possibly billions in healthcosts, loss productivy etc. Imagine if all Americans ate healthier, had a better life style millions would be saved that could go towards the poor.

I may seem narrow minded or argorant, but there is over 6 billion poeple in this world, I am sure billions of those poeple face problems such as lack of food, and water. It's life, its been occuring ever since man put foot on this earth.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Banned
    Its actually quite refreshing how logical you guys are, in that you can only see this topic in terms of quantifiable amounts. (this meat won't be sent "over there", fat people are more of a problem, etc etc) You are quite right, it is very easy to justify in these terms. And this is what its all about isn't it, justification?

What might be termed the "moral" problem is harder to pin down. I remember when World's Strongest Man was held in Zambia a few years ago, and I remember just feeling slightly uncomfortable with these shots of enormous men posing with tiny kids. It all seemed so wasteful and indulgent.

Having read the various responses I again feel better about the issue - eating for strength barely grazes the planet's overall food production. I'm sure I will still occasionally be reminded of just how decadent it is though.

Damn hippy take over.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.