Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! question for anybody!

Wannabebig Member

Help! question for anybody!

My question/concern is a little bit interesting. I go to the gym everyday, I feel like I have to. The endorphins released while I am working out I feel are vital to my overall well being. I am also not somebody that really does any powerlifting or goes for a new max every week. I basically stick with the strength/toning regimen. I just wanted to know what everybody thought about this. today at the gym I stuck one plate on each side of the bar, so a total of 135 lbs. and I ended up repping it out 100 times in less than 5 min. I'm not trying to brag or anything. I seriously think that its completely abnormal what I do but I feel like I have to do it (expel the energy I have) to feel satisfied/fatigued. Is anybody else able to do something like this, I just feel weird about it. Its almost like I dont produce lactic acid or something.
    I also timed myself between sets one time again with 135 lbs. on and proceeded to do sets of 10, I gave myself a 30 second break between each set and I ended up doing a total of 28 sets. I just want to know if thats very uncommon or if there is somebody else like that out there. I have never seen anybody at the gym come close to doing something like that before and just wanted to know if there were. appreciate any replies. thanks.

Add weight to the bar.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NoGutsNoGlory View Post
    I have never seen anybody at the gym come close to doing something like that before and just wanted to know if there were. appreciate any replies. thanks.
    You've probably never seen anybody do it because it's pointless. Are you going to be in a "135lbs rep test for time?" If not, what's the point?

I tell you what, go do that with the squat, that might at least garner a little bit more in the way of results for your "toning" but not much more.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    What exercise?

Wannabebig New Member

Wannabebig Member
    ok thanks, but I failed to mention that this is a just to warm up, thats not my actual workout. afterwards I do dumbbell bench a lot generally with 90-95 in each arm.

Wannabebig Member
    and overall for working my chest Ill do total of 6-8 different lifts

and overall for working my chest Ill do total of 6-8 different lifts
    horrible thing to be doing unless you are on some drugs. just about everything you said is less than efficient to be doing.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 05-06-2008 at 01:16 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Add weight to the bar.
    I believe this is the answer to this and nearly every other lifting question that has been asked.

Banned
    NGNG, you are NOT working out with enough intensity. Definitely add weight and remember that while in the gym you are TEARING DOWN your muscles. You need to stay the PHUCK OUTTA THE GYM and eat and rest to get bigger muscles.

Wannabebig Member
    When did I ever say I'm trying to get bigger? As to my knowledge intensity is the degree of exertion/fatigue. Which is actually quite high, esp. When I compare myself to others in the gym. I'm not going for size, I'm already pretty big 6 foot 2 205 lbs. I'm doing strength training/cutting mostly. Which I understand is doing about 10-12 reps maybe a little more. And as I said I do about 6-8 lifts (each lift at avg. Of about 70-80% of max)for my chest per session. What would you guys suggest then because I have to do that many lifts in combo with that amount of reps before I start feeling fatigued.

There are many different types of strength, but I don't really know enough about that to get into it. However, if you are talking about lifting more weight, well, doing hundreds of reps with 135 is not going to get you strong in the sense that most think of. The others are right, add more weight to the bar. And it's ok if you don't want to get big; that's your choice. Finally, 10-12 reps is not the "recommended strength range." I say that because everyone is different but the idea is that the "strength" range is something like 3-5 reps (like I said, that isn't a hard and fast rule for everything).

And I meant to say that you should check out the journals that some carry on this forum. That could give you some ideas as well.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrin0tk View Post
    There are many different types of strength, but I don't really know enough about that to get into it. However, if you are talking about lifting more weight, well, doing hundreds of reps with 135 is not going to get you strong in the sense that most think of. The others are right, add more weight to the bar. And it's ok if you don't want to get big; that's your choice. Finally, 10-12 reps is not the "recommended strength range." I say that because everyone is different but the idea is that the "strength" range is something like 3-5 reps (like I said, that isn't a hard and fast rule for everything).

If you read one of my earlier posts I said I do the 135 a bunch of times as a warmup. 5-10 min to get my blood flowing. And I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that 3-5 reps is what you do to for power/size not strengh/toning. anyways thanks for the answers so far.

How do you put power and strength in different categories, and rep range doesn't have anything to do with "toning"

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    You've probably never seen anybody do it because it's pointless. Are you going to be in a "135lbs rep test for time?" If not, what's the point?
    I believe this is the correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Add weight to the bar.
    +1
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Work in Progress
    Dude. That's pointless. I can do 135 at the gym all day. And I do 100 lbs on the dumbbells. Add more weight to the bar. You'll feel it. You'll feel better. You'll get fatigued. Go for 215 or 205 and go for 10 - 12. You'll feel like a champ.

Sometimes I get so angry reading threads like these.

Whatever,
    enjoy doing your 135lbs for 100 reps.

If you read one of my earlier posts I said I do the 135 a bunch of times as a warmup. 5-10 min to get my blood flowing. And I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that 3-5 reps is what you do to for power/size not strengh/toning. anyways thanks for the answers so far.
    Yeah, but you never really said what else you do, or at what weights you do them (with the exception of 90-95lb. DB's). You simply said that you do 6-8 exercises for your chest (which is, in truth, a bit overkill...ok, probably more than a bit). Have you ever worked out with heavy weights for a whole workout? It will fatigue you, it that's what you are going for. I would drop the whole 135lb. for 100 reps thing, even as a warmup. But that's just me. You are entitled to your own opinion, and it is your training/body. Hey, if you like it well enough, go for it.

Oh, and 10-12 reps is more for that whole size thing you are talking about. It's called hypertrophy. Again, that rep range is just an estimate-not hard and fast. And that rep range isn't always bad; I just wouldn't say to use it on everything. But again, if you feel it works for you and that's what you want to do....do it up, brother!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyPitbull View Post
    How do you put power and strength in different categories, and rep range doesn't have anything to do with "toning"

I believe this is the correct answer.

Sorry brethren, I'm not a 1 rep meat head as some on here are prob referred to as. I said I would do that to warmup sometimes!!! read the effin posts! Oh and also I said I COULD rep out 135 lbs. 100 times in under 5 min. I didnt ever say I did that for my workout! rep range doesnt have anything to do with toning? what hell is this place? I have read some of the dumbest responses ever. I thought exercise was supposed to make people smarter? could be wrong. this forum would suggest the latter. Oh and yes I do 6-8 dif lifts after warming up, (warming up... you do it to avoid injury) do I always do 6-8 lifts for chest??? Hell no, to quote the movie dodgeball "I gotta keep the body guessing". oh and too the kid who said it was overkill to do 6-8 lifts in a session. speak for yourself buddy, just cause YOU cant do it doesnt mean everybody cant. I hand out prob. 15 inferiority complexes per day at the gym. thank you for your advice, but I know how to lift weights, I didnt come on here to find out how to work out.
    Last edited by NoGutsNoGlory; 05-09-2008 at 03:56 PM.

Banned
    I don't understad what you're asking. If you want a challenge, put weight on the bar. If you want to get good at doing high reps, keep it up.

Oh and also I said I COULD rep out 135 lbs. 100 times in under 5 min.
    I ended up repping it out 100 times in less than 5 min. I'm not trying to brag or anything. I seriously think that its completely abnormal what I do but I feel like I have to do it
    Did you even read what you wrote?
    appreciate any replies. thanks.
    I'm starting to think they're not.

hey kid, you need to back down, your lifting regimen is ****. these guys have probably forgotten MORE about weight lifting then you will ever know. the forum is called 'WANNA BE BIG' for a reason. not "I WANNA REP OUT 135 SO I CAN LOOK COOL FOR TEH CHIKZZZ BRAH". and 6-8 different exercises for the chest is waaaaaaay to much volume. 6-8 sets probably a little to much for bench press alone. like someone stated ealier, unless your on drugs (or your ronnie coleman) you SHOULDNT be doing all that, and just because someone said its not good for you doesnt mean they cant do it.
    I BEAT CURL JOCKEY
    BP - 280 pause bench
    SQ - 345 outdated
    DL - 345 outdated
    Clean and Jerk - 250

Sorry brethren, I'm not a 1 rep meat head as some on here are prob referred to as. I said I would do that to warmup sometimes!!! read the effin posts! Oh and also I said I COULD rep out 135 lbs. 100 times in under 5 min. I didnt ever say I did that for my workout! rep range doesnt have anything to do with toning? what hell is this place? I have read some of the dumbest responses ever. I thought exercise was supposed to make people smarter? could be wrong. this forum would suggest the latter. Oh and yes I do 6-8 dif lifts after warming up, (warming up... you do it to avoid injury) do I always do 6-8 lifts for chest??? Hell no, to quote the movie dodgeball "I gotta keep the body guessing". oh and too the kid who said it was overkill to do 6-8 lifts in a session. speak for yourself buddy, just cause YOU cant do it doesnt mean everybody cant. I hand out prob. 15 inferiority complexes per day at the gym. thank you for your advice, but I know how to lift weights, I didnt come on here to find out how to work out.

First of all, I'm no kid. I'm 26 years old. Secondly, yeah, you did come on here to find out if what you were doing is "normal," which means you had a question about how to lift weights or set up a lifting program. You said you don't see anyone doing anything like that...well, that's because it isn't normal and people don't and shouldn't do it. And again, I never necessarily criticized you for what you are doing or your goals, but you go and call other people one rep meatheads. What's with that? And yeah, if I wanted to, I could do 6-8 lifts for my chest in one workout. In fact, I used to before I learned better. But now I know that it is stupid and I don't want to do that anymore. And the part about "handing out 15 inferiority complexes"...I just don't know what to say to that. That's just...wow. Seriously, grow up. Have fun with your "toning."
    Last edited by jbrin0tk; 05-09-2008 at 05:37 PM.

To the OP:
    You have said, in some recent posts, opinions that differ from the majority. You have also said some things that are unfounded and dogmatic. You have sufficiently shown that you would benefit greatly from some reading and research time about weight lifting and fitness alltogether. You additionally came to the forums looking for responses and advice... which you recieved. It is your choice to take it or not.
    oh and too the kid who said it was overkill to do 6-8 lifts in a session. speak for yourself buddy, just cause YOU cant do it doesnt mean everybody cant. I hand out prob. 15 inferiority complexes per day at the gym. thank you for your advice, but I know how to lift weights, I didnt come on here to find out how to work out.
    So, this is me. It IS overkill to do that, I choose not to because I have a brain. You are the one with the inferiority complex...obviously.

I know what I am doing. Do you?
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 05-09-2008 at 07:16 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by jbrin0tk View Post
    First of all, I'm no kid. I'm 26 years old. Secondly, yeah, you did come on here to find out if what you were doing is "normal," which means you had a question about how to lift weights or set up a lifting program. You said you don't see anyone doing anything like that...well, that's because it isn't normal and people don't and shouldn't do it. And again, I never necessarily criticized you for what you are doing or your goals, but you go and call other people one rep meatheads. What's with that? And yeah, if I wanted to, I could do 6-8 lifts for my chest in one workout. In fact, I used to before I learned better. But now I know that it is stupid and I don't want to do that anymore. And the part about "handing out 15 inferiority complexes"...I just don't know what to say to that. That's just...wow. Seriously, grow up. Have fun with your "toning."
    wait, are you the "kid"? HA!
    Sarvamangalam!