The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Pectus Excavatum aka Sunken Chest

Anyone familiar with this condition?

It is basically a depression in chest...some people are born with it, some people develop it as they are growing. It is fairly common in terms of birth or growth defects, 1 in about every 300 births may suffer from this. In some cases it is cosemetic, other cases are extreme and require surgery.

I recently realize that I have a mild case of it. I believe I developed it when I was growing, for I had a few bone problems due to my rapid growth. I also have very bad posture which also is supposed to contribute to it. My case is almost unnoticable unless you are examining it closely. It is nothing compared to some of the cases I have seen, in no way is it that bad. The only time it is obvious is when I am lying on my back and a chic rubs on my chest, they can feel a slight depression. Also since I have large pectoral muscles, it is even less obvious.

In any case I am told that for moderate cases such as mine, excercise and fixing my posture can greatly improve it.

I was wondering if anyone knows about this, or has it themselves?...and can suggest any measures to improve it. I read that breathing pullovers is a great excercise for this, and I started doing them often in the past 2 weeks...I would like to even out my chest, and in effect breathing excercises that incorparate stretching or pulling movements seem to be the way...

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by Ice Veins; 04-27-2005 at 01:05 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    No suggestions but lots of curiosity here. Sh*tty posture, imo, contributed to me experiencing something similar.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

i know 2 guys that have that...one claims to eat cereal out of it while watching tv. the best thing ive ever done to correct my posture was standing on one leg for a long period of time

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapump979
    i know 2 guys that have that...one claims to eat cereal out of it while watching tv. the best thing ive ever done to correct my posture was standing on one leg for a long period of time
    haha, eating cereal out of it...that is insane!

Do they have mild cases, or more extreme cases?

I am also concerned because this condition supposdely also contributes to sports fatigue...my stamina sucks enough as it is...

but how could standing on one leg help improve your posture? sometimes i notice how bad my posture really is, when im sitting in a chair or on a seat with no back, I will slump over like a damn hunchback.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I probably have this. Though I wouldn't say my chest goes in; I'd say my ribs come out. The chest is well proportioned to my stomach and shoulders. If I were to "push my ribs in" my chest would look normal.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Wannabebig Member

Pectus Ecavatum

Does anyone on this site also have pectus excavatum, also known as sunken or funnel chest?

Quote Originally Posted by UPtown
    Does anyone on this site also have pectus excavatum, also known as sunken or funnel chest?
    Thread merged to similar previous postings.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

Iron4Life
    There was another good thread going around last fall...
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=76535

A couple of us guys on WBB have it..
    Last edited by Bob; 07-16-2006 at 06:16 PM.

Wannabebig New Member
    i have it and would like to know if anyone has known anyone who got surgery for it and how big the scars are?

Wannabebig Member
    I Have sunken chest
    im 18, im 6'2 and 14 stone in muscle, 0% fat..
    sunken chest is a chest plate deformation.. it dents the chest plate pulling the center ribs down... and sunken chest always comes with a 2nd deformation.. floating ribs.. were your lower ribs are 2 high up and stick out.. giving the idea that theres no hole in ur chest that ur ribs are just sticky out'y haha.. but nope its a deformation and yeah i've eat cornflakes out of mine, all though i tend 2 get girls 2 drink whiskey out of it... allot of models and actors have it.. i only know of 3 who defiantly have it

Ville Valo From The Band H.I.M.
    Charlie Sheen from TWO AND HALF MEN
    Keira Knightley From Pirates Of The Caribbean

and i was 8 stone before i got muscley.. muscle doesnt get rid of it 100% but then agen why wud u want 2... im very un happy with mine, couldn't go swimming are sun bathe on the beach are nothing.. because of being ashamed... but now that ive built muscle up.. im glad i still have it slightly.. cuss u shouldn't have 2 change for other people.. but theres a great way 2 get rid of it 100%, if u wanna know just ask

I have it, I didn't realize it contributed to sports fatigue.. maybe that's why I can't run for ****.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

Quote Originally Posted by Irish--Scouse View Post
    I Have sunken chest
    im 18, im 6'2 and 14 stone in muscle, 0% fat..
    Your also dead with 0% body fat.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Genacide View Post
    Your also dead with 0% body fat.
    LOL!!!!
    Height: 5'11
    Starting Weight: 112
    5/15/08

Current Weight: 122 (+8)
    8/25/08
    Stage: Bulking

Wannabebig New Member
    i have PE too...post some pics of urself irish. also, what do u recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    i have PE too...post some pics of urself irish. also, what do u recommend?
    Judging from his previous posts and the claims of "0% bodyfat", I'm not sure his recommendations at the present time are worth posting. If you really want to know, shoot him a PM. This thread has run its course. For further info on PE, I invite you to use the search.....it's been covered previously.
    Last edited by razorcut; 05-19-2008 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelling
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin