Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! What is the -BEST- Home Gym System?? BowFlex? Weider? Anything Else?

Hybrid View

HELP!! What is the -BEST- Home Gym System?? BowFlex? Weider? Anything Else?

ok i have several questions for all the fitness pros on here

i go to an actual gym so i dont ever bother with these home fitness gym however a very good friend of mine is looking to invest in a home gym

price is not an issue for him he just wants to make sure hes getting what hes paying for ...hes not really a beginner hes just looking to get back into shape.

now .. with this said i have several questions for all u home gym pros out there..

1.)

i was looking at the Bowflex Xtreme Home Gym
    http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...entPage=search

$1,000

VS

the Bowflex Revolutions Xtreme Home Gym
    $2,000

http://www.bowflexrevolution.com/bow...P+Home+Gym.jsp

is the new "spiraflex" technology in the new revolutions bowflex machine worth the 1,000 dollar price difference? if so why? it looks liek all the same exercises!

are there any superior options to bowflex??

2.) can anyone reccomend a good stationary exercise bike? does Nordic Track make the best ones?

thanks guys!!!

Buy a power rack, barbell, 500 pounds of weights, a bench, a chinup bar and some dumbells.

500 bucks can get all this stuff. It's a lot better and more practical than a bowflex. If life were attached by cables I would buy a bowflex.

As for bikes, no clue.
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 05-14-2008 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    Buy a power rack, barbell, 500 pounds of weights, a bench, a chinup bar and some dumbells.
    What he said.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

500 bucks can get all this stuff. It's a lot better and more practical than a bowflex. If life were attached by cables I would buy a bowflex.

As for bikes, no clue.
    my friend only has limited space..so an all comprehensive weight machine like or similar to the bowflex (or better than the bowflex) is probably the only option.

is anyone familiar with the bowflex system and why the revolutions machine cost 1000 more?

Quote Originally Posted by OcSurfDude View Post
    my friend only has limited space..so an all comprehensive weight machine like or similar to the bowflex (or better than the bowflex) is probably the only option.

is anyone familiar with the bowflex system and why the revolutions machine cost 1000 more?
    A rack and barbell probably take up less actual floor space. And I'm sure he could find a corner to put the bench in while he's using the rack. When he's not using the rack, put the bench in it!

It won't take up much space.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Using that 2 grand for a gym membership would make a hell of a lot more sense than jamming an over-priced over-hyped hunk of junk like a bowflex into his living area. Has he ever used a bowflex? I have, and I can assure you that the experience is quite different than it looks on tv-just like 90% of the other crap sold on tv.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    Using that 2 grand for a gym membership would make a hell of a lot more sense than jamming an over-priced over-hyped hunk of junk like a bowflex into his living area. Has he ever used a bowflex? I have, and I can assure you that the experience is quite different than it looks on tv-just like 90% of the other crap sold on tv.
    X 1000000. i feel like a tard using it
    stats:Bench: 285 goal: 305
    squat: 390 goal: 420
    dead: 405 goal: 445
    weight and height: 230, 6'2 age:18
    “No strength within, no respect without.”
    "Strength is not your physical capacity, its your indomitable will." http://freddy56.mybrute.com

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post

Banned??? Wha' happened?

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Quote Originally Posted by OcSurfDude View Post

i had a bowflex, worked out on it 6 days a week, 1 1/2 hours a day, for 9 months. i got no where.(seriously)
    i picked up a bar, now im getting somewhere
    Last edited by Torrok; 05-15-2008 at 06:30 PM.
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

Quote Originally Posted by Torrok View Post
    i had a bowflex, worked out on it 6 days a week, 1 1/2 hours a day, for 9 months. i got no where.(seriously)
    i picked up a bar, now im getting somewhere
    took you 9 months to realize that?

Wannabebig Member
    i have this and i love it....

http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_307982...ii_dsg_reviews

i just locked the smith bar in all the way at the top so its out of my way

it came with a bench that has settings from decline to straight up. with a leg attachment and preacher curl attachment, if you like that sort of thing.
    i have extra adjustable dumbells and it came with a 300lb olympic weight set.

it does everything...i havent found an exercise i used to do in the gym that i cant do on that machine.
    Height: 5'4
    Weight: 122

Bench: 170 3x5
    Deadlift:230 5x5
    Squat:225 5x5
    (weights last updated 6/05/08)

Quote Originally Posted by biglift View Post
    took you 9 months to realize that?
    9 months before i finally decided to get a bench and a bar.
    but i wasnt following the "Bowflex Routine" right, if only i would have done 20 minutes a day, 3 times a week i could have had a bowflex body!
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

Work in Progress

As for bikes, no clue.
    HOW on earth can I get that for $500? Most power racks alone are $500.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Szust View Post
    HOW on earth can I get that for $500? Most power racks alone are $500.
    Not if you buy used

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    Not if you buy used
    Exactly.

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    Ditto with the power rack responses. They really look bigger than the actual floorspace required. I have a 10x12 ft. space dedicated in the garage but I've heard of people with less than 10x8 available space with a very sweet basic set up. Now if I could only fit a concept 2 rower next to the wife's eliptical that'd be sweet. Maybe if I move this...
    You get the picture.
    You end up with alot more versatility for the allotted space. Not to mention bang for your buck.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

I owned a Bowflex and it was a stupid purchase. Most of the exercises were really uncomfortable and after 6 months of very small progress I sold it. In the same 6 months I made 5 times the strength/weight gains in the gym as I did with that Bowflex.

I tried to use a bowflex once at a friends house, like PatheticJoe said it feels extremely uncomfortable. I'd tell your friend to go with the powerrack.

Power rack takes up less space then a Boxflex.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Couldn't find IAMBUFF.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Power rack takes up less space then a Boxflex.

It may not seem like they do when you look at one but the rack will save you room, unless you consider after the guy realises the any (most) non-commercial machines are crap and he uses it for an extra chair and a sweet place to hang and dry clothes!

You can find racks and weights on craigslist for next to nothing...especially the spring cleaning/yard sale time of year!

I know these types of people. The OP isn't going to listen to you, he is going to buy that bowflex. At least tell him which will be easier to sell/get rid of after he gets sick of it.

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    Rememeber when it was that Soloflex gizmo with the rubber bands? What an awful herky-jerky piece-o-sh** that was. I had a friend who had one in his room. It made a great clothes rack. What about that widget Chuck Norris uses? No love for the TOTAL GYM?
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

Habingus
    Buy a gazelle, you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wannabebig New Member

Best Home Gym System

I have limited space too, the best gym system is (No Suggestions) home gym. I've been using the Terrell Owens super strong man edition. The results have been really great and my body is in really good shape.