Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it wrong to lift twice a day?

Hybrid View

Is it wrong to lift twice a day?

Sundays and thursdays I like to get in a pretty decent work out. But on tuesday I like to hit up the gym hard and go twice a day. I don't usally do the same lifts the second time lifting but I do usually bench a second time and do arm extensions and more cardio. Is it wrong to work the same muscles twice in a day if I take protein between lifting and give meself some time off to rest after? Thanks in advance. I would appreciate any responses.
    MAX BENCH:275lbs. (11/2008)
    MAX SQUAT machine:420lbs. (4/2005)
    MAX SQUAT free weight: 385lbsx2. (1/2009)
    MAX DEAD LIFT hex bar: 465lbs. (1/2006)
    MAX DEAD LIFT straight bar: 455. (10/2009)
    total: 1115
    CURRENT WEIGHT:240. (10/2009)
    HEIGHT: 6'2

The best way to get big is to eat big, lift big and LIVE BIG.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by MattBag View Post
    Sundays and thursdays I like to get in a pretty decent work out. But on tuesday I like to hit up the gym hard and go twice a day. I don't usally do the same lifts the second time lifting but I do usually bench a second time and do arm extensions and more cardio. Is it wrong to work the same muscles twice in a day if I take protein between lifting and give meself some time off to rest after? Thanks in advance. I would appreciate any responses.

It's pretty pointless to train the same muscles twice a day if you are going hard both sessions. The reason being is that you don't build muscle IN the gym, you build it OUT of the gym with food and rest. Lifting is catabolic, rest and food anabolic. If you are genetically average and unassisted, training the same muscles twice a week is better...and I wouldn't do any more than 3 times a week.

You've already thrashed the muscles once, so rest and let them heal.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 05-16-2008 at 01:19 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    It's pretty pointless to train the same muscles twice a day if you are going hard both sessions. The reason being is that you don't build muscle IN the gym, you build it OUT of the gym with food and rest. Lifting is catabolic, rest and food anabolic. If you are genetically average and unassisted, training the same muscles twice a week is better...and I wouldn't do any more than 3 times a week.

You've already thrashed the muscles once, so rest and let them heal.
    this man has it

Thanks alot that does make alot of sense. But I did forget to mention that I like to go swimming after my second lifting session, so is it pointless to do that after i've already worked my muscles that much in a day?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Thanks alot that does make alot of sense. But I did forget to mention that I like to go swimming after my second lifting session, so is it pointless to do that after i've already worked my muscles that much in a day?

If the swimming is cardio then that should be fine. Nothing wrong with that.

And if you like working out twice, that's cool. I think it's fairly common to believe that, with more free-time and resources and recovery time, one of the best ways to train would be 6 times per week...3 days per week. Like M, W, F...twice a day each. So, if you like it, look into it a bit more. Maybe you'll bench in the morning, then do some rows/pullups at night. Or maybe you'll wanna squat.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Xellarz View Post
    And if you like working out twice, that's cool. I think it's fairly common to believe that, with more free-time and resources and recovery time, one of the best ways to train would be 6 times per week...3 days per week. Like M, W, F...twice a day each. So, if you like it, look into it a bit more. Maybe you'll bench in the morning, then do some rows/pullups at night. Or maybe you'll wanna squat.
    If those resources include "gear" then maybe. However doing two heavy workouts in the same day even for different lifts can be rather punishing to the CNS. Why do you think people usually take a day off in between every 1-2 workouts?

I wouldn't recommend that at all.

Work in Progress
    Your CNS will thank you for taking days off, just as mine did!

If those resources include "gear" then maybe. However doing two heavy workouts in the same day even for different lifts can be rather punishing to the CNS. Why do you think people usually take a day off in between every 1-2 workouts?

Why would it be more punishing to the CNS? Each workout would be shorter. You're not doing 2 full workouts in a day, you're doing half a workout, twice a day. Seems like it would be less taxing on the CNS. I emphasise "seems" with italics because I don't know, and I don't want anyone to think I'm making this claim as if it was true.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Xellarz View Post
    Why would it be more punishing to the CNS? Each workout would be shorter. You're not doing 2 full workouts in a day, you're doing half a workout, twice a day. Seems like it would be less taxing on the CNS. I emphasise "seems" with italics because I don't know, and I don't want anyone to think I'm making this claim as if it was true.

But in that case it would be rather pointless and a waste of time. You have to get ready to go to the gym twice, you have to drive or walk there twice, you have to shower and get dressed twice... As for your body your evening training would take place when you've only just finished stressing it a few hours earlier (as opposed to giving it at least 24 hours of rest plus more meals in between to replenish nutrients.) So you are training when you are already tired.

And you said that these workouts would hit different muscles. So if someone was on an upper/lower split, that would mean he would do half his upper workout in the morning and half of his lower workout in the evening? Sounds rather complex. I don't see any benefit to this as opposed to a typical upper/lower split. Plus on the half variation you'd be hitting your shoulders six times as opposed to only 2.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 05-19-2008 at 07:21 PM.

Banned

Strongly agree here. Remember that when you lift you're not only taxing your muscles but your CNS and joints as well. Rest is anabolic. Working out is catabolic.

I just like to work out. I'd like to lift twice a day on tuesdays and thursdays but apperently working the same muscles twice a day isn't even gonna benafit me so I should probably just do some cardio or something outside the gym or somehting.

Just do a different lift.

Have sex twice a day (at least), lift once for 3-5 days a week, lol. If you can afford to be lifting twice a day then you must have a great job and some time on your hands.

It depends. Depends on how hard you work each of the sessions and what you do the rest of the week. I've done it on vacations when I was "batching it" and had nothing to do - box squats in the morning and front squats in the early evening. Didn't do much volume each session and got plenty of rest before training squats again afterwards, but as short-term concentrated loading it was fine.

edit: btw, I'm not recommending it though.
    Last edited by Sensei; 05-19-2008 at 10:27 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Why not just split it into weight training and cardio. So one workout is weights only, and the other cardio only.

OR

One workout is your regular weight training, and the second workout could be active recovery on the muscle group you trained on a previous day + cardio.

Active recovery would be high repetition sets with light weights.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I have a hard time understanding the concept that your muscles grow more the less you work out? I know that I made another thread that said my muscles get smaller when I don't work out and they all said its cause of of the fact that there isn't as much blood flowng there.. but wouldn't it be better to have pumped muscles throughout the week than my normal only half pumped arms from lifting only twice a week?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    I have a hard time understanding the concept that your muscles grow more the less you work out? I know that I made another thread that said my muscles get smaller when I don't work out and they all said its cause of of the fact that there isn't as much blood flowng there.. but wouldn't it be better to have pumped muscles throughout the week than my normal only half pumped arms from lifting only twice a week?
    Muscles grow from food and rest, NOT working out. Working out TEARS down the muscle. So having "pumped muscles" throughout the week would be counterproductive. You would only be wearing yourself down and overtaxing your muscles, and CNS. Not only that, but you would likely find yourself getting sick at the drop of a hat since working out lowers one's immune system.

Patience, young Jedi, patience. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will your body be. Think in terms of months and years, not weeks and days.

Wannabebig Member
    is it bad to work out everyday without skipping days in between when taking a supplement like glutamine??

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    That depends on the workout. You could probably get away with doing 1-2 exercises per day, but if you are doing 6-8 exercises with any real intensity then yes. Glutamine doesn't help in this regard.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 05-26-2008 at 01:14 AM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    That depends on the workout. You could probably get away with doing 1-2 exercises per day, but if you are doing 6-8 exercises with any real intensity then yes. Glutamine doesn't help in this regard.

I already pointed out that low volume can work. However that does not seem to be the case here.

Well I completly changed my routine so I don't even want to work out twice a day anymore but my girlfriend wants to go more now so I'm gonna be in there twice on tuesdays and thursdays... I'm adding more cardio I'm starting RESULTS tuesday and I'm lowering my cals by atleast 1000 so I should expect to see the results that RESULTS has to offer. And when I do go to the gym twice it will mostly be for running or swimming the second time because after one session of legs I'm toast so twice a day should be nice.

Oh and just wondering for those people who do go out for a run or a jog 5 times a week how is that not bad on their leg muscles? that doesn't make sense. Or even in high school when I had a wrestling practice 4 times a week and matches 2-3 times per week. and running and weight lifting during the wrestling season? And football season when the varsity team would have to lift at 6 in the morning go through school then practie from 3:15 to 5:45...

NOt trying to describe my high school life but how is it possible that The whole team wasn't overtraining during the season?

Is weight training different then training with body weight? cause if it is I'm gonna do even more cardio on my days off and more push ups, crunchs leg lifts and all that instead of sitting around on my off days?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

Oh and just wondering for those people who do go out for a run or a jog 5 times a week how is that not bad on their leg muscles? that doesn't make sense.

Because running or jogging (done properly, yes there is a right and wrong way of going about it) has far less impact. Do 2-3 sets of 20 rep squats and then try running or jogging

Or even in high school when I had a wrestling practice 4 times a week and matches 2-3 times per week. and running and weight lifting during the wrestling season? And football season when the varsity team would have to lift at 6 in the morning go through school then practie from 3:15 to 5:45...

NOt trying to describe my high school life but how is it possible that The whole team wasn't overtraining during the season?

A lot of their workouts were cardio...I highly doubt wrestlers would try to gain a lot of muscle mass...don't they want to stay in their weight class? Plus they had a coach supervising them...if he was at all knowledgeable he'd keep them from overtraining.

Is weight training different then training with body weight? cause if it is I'm gonna do even more cardio on my days off and more push ups, crunchs leg lifts and all that instead of sitting around on my off days?
    Yes it is different. To list just one, it is easier to progress (in terms of weight on the bar) with bench presses as opposed to pushups.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 05-26-2008 at 02:47 AM.

If you have an expert writing your program as well as alot of recovery work (sauna, massage, heat packs etc) then yes.

If your a normal guy, bad.

However I see no problem doing legs in the morning or chest in the arvo.

Double day sessions are absoloute murder. There was a period were my coach wanted me to drastically increase my leg strength and I was squatting twice a day almost everyday. It will beat the crap out of you if not done right, but it works.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Dr. Dudley-Robey DrDudley-Robey's Avatar
    That is over-training. You do not bet any bigger or stronger in the gym, you do during recovery. Do not work any body part more the 2x a week except abs. If you want to do 2 a days, do cardio in the morning and weights in the late afternoon or evening.