Thread: Speed Work

Speed Work

Is speed work without chains or bands worth doing over doing another ME day?

Are you talking about speed work as opposed to a second ME day in the same week? If so, then yes. And you can do speed work without bands or chains. People do it today, and that's how it was done at Westside many years ago (thanks, Travis!). The trick is that you have to be fast with the weight. The goal is not to pile weight on the bar, it's to be fast with it. Many people do it with bands or chains, and it is a pretty popular way to go, but I wouldn't say it is a requirement.

Of course, if you're interested, a set of mini bands is not very expensive. Just go to www.elitefts.com and search for "jump stretch bands." I hope this helps!

Thank you sir. I've only been back in the gym now for 4 months (after an extended 6 year couch break). I am very happy with my gains but I am getting greedy, I want more dammit!!!

So the loaded question, would it be better to use bands or not, or about equal and it all comes down to personal pref?

You're welcome, man!Yeah, I think it's a matter of personal preference. Others would be able to speak to this better than I would, but some guys like using them, and some don't. What bands and chains do is called accomodating resistance. A pair of mini bands, depending on how they are set up,etc., add about 90lbs. at lockout and 40 lbs. at the chest. In others words, let's say you've got 150 on the bar (that is plus the weight of the bar) and you have doubled mini bands on the bar as well. It would be like 240lbs. at the top (150+90) and about 190 off the chest (150+40). This is due to the tension of the bands when they are doubled. It gets heavier as you ascend to lockout. It's not quite like straight weight (meaning bar plus plates), but it is a useful tool in a lifters toolbox, especially if they are interested in increasing the numbers they can hit on the bench. And again, just be fast with it. Weight on the bar isn't what you are after, it's the speed. A lot of people recommend using 50% of your 1RM, but that is just a recommendation.

If you do decide to buy some mini bands, do remember that the price you see is for one band, meaning you will have to order two of them. If you have any further questions, feel free to let me know. Drop me a PM if ya want, too. I'd be happy to try and help!
    Last edited by jbrin0tk; 05-21-2008 at 07:05 PM.