Thread: Always use belt for heavy sets?

Always use belt for heavy sets?

I bumped my squat up to 260 as a working set. I could do 3-4 easy with a belt but with out I dont feel as sturdy whatsoever.

My question is, if I ever go heavy with squats should I always use a belt? I plan on competing so using a belt would be important. But what I am worried is that I may depend on the belt to squat heavy. Should I use the belt more often and also do some lower back work?

EDIT: I just wanted to say that I have never gone this heavy for more than one rep
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 05-26-2008 at 04:58 PM.

I always train without a belt making my core and such "stronger" as I go. Never really felt uneasy under or over any weight without one. That all being said, I don't plan on competing, save one competition in Sept.

Obviously you can't do as much weight without a belt but other than that there's no limit where you absolutely need to wear a belt. I only have my belt on every 10 days right now and that's for knee wrap work. My raw squat sessions are without a belt until about 4 weeks out of competition.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Banned
    i wear mine for all heavy sessions, putting it on around 75% or so of my max. i think its pretty individual as to how often you want to use it.
    Last edited by Reko; 05-26-2008 at 08:06 PM.

romantic relations w/bacon Indifference's Avatar
    Totally individual dependant.

I used to rely on that thing for all my heavy squatting and was scared to death if I tried squatting over 275 with it. Now 355 without it is cake. Id suggest doing lots of heavy core/back stuff! I enjoy not having to rely on it.
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

#'s will be up when I know them

Lookin fer my spanich Blackhawk08's Avatar
    I only use one for heavy deads.
    MM(W)FA (SU) Robinson, USN

Banned
    My training partner puts his belt on at 135. He squatted 1003 and 1008. He was coached and told to never do ab work. Just because you have the belt on doesn't mean you'll be weak. If your goal is to squat more weight, put the belt on and stop listening to people that can't squat anything. If you feel you need ab work, do it. Don't sacrifice weight in the squat to train without a belt.

i do both.. i train without a belt more and more and only use it when I feel like I'm going to be pushing the limit. Training with a belt ALL THE TIME will weaken your core and you'll have to rely on the belt more and more.. plus it ends up being a mental handicap if ever you FORGET your belt the day you lift. When maxing.. hell yes wear the belt.. in other work I wouldn't say wear it that much.

..and what's with this new trend of wearing a belt during every exercise i'm seeing lately? Since when do lateral raises require a belt?!
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Interesting.

I personally feel fine without a belt for deads, but for squats they seem very very useful.
    Even with the belt on loosely it helps keep me stable, I may just use it more often and do some lower back/ab work as well.

Wannabebig Member David_HoffWSBB's Avatar
    you absolutly need to do core work its imparritive to your squat and deadlift, its so important to me i have a day set aside just to do core work.

Quote Originally Posted by David_HoffWSBB View Post
    you absolutly need to do core work its imparritive to your squat and deadlift, its so important to me i have a day set aside just to do core work.
    QFT!

core is everything.. the more stable your core the easier it is to handle heavier ****.. and we all know the easier it is to handle heavy **** the easier it will be to move it!
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thewicked View Post
    i do both.. i train without a belt more and more and only use it when I feel like I'm going to be pushing the limit. Training with a belt ALL THE TIME will weaken your core and you'll have to rely on the belt more and more.. plus it ends up being a mental handicap if ever you FORGET your belt the day you lift. When maxing.. hell yes wear the belt.. in other work I wouldn't say wear it that much.

..and what's with this new trend of wearing a belt during every exercise i'm seeing lately? Since when do lateral raises require a belt?!
    Wearing a belt WILL NOT weaken your abs/low back. By making that statement, you're effectively saying that the belt takes the place of the abs and low back and that they DO NOT work while the belt is on. That, is absolutely wrong.

Some say it is good to get some training in without a belt, which I agree with, but to say that your abs will get weaker if you wear a belt is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by thewicked View Post

I have to say that today at the gym I saw a guy walking in with a belt going towards the squat rack. I thought to myself 'I won't be the only person squatting today, nice.' As he neared the rack he made a left turn to the hack squat machine, or standing leg press. He continues on to tighten his belt and do 2 inch ROM presses. I laughed and thought about this thread.
    Sarvamangalam!

I learned alot about this from my friend Eddy Coan. I feel you should go beltless until you get heavy, meaning heavy for YOU. I like to do block pulls minus the belt, once I feel I need to get heavy I add it for the heavy sets only. Same with the squats. Remember, wearing a belt is like anything else, it will help you, but you must practice in it.

Semper Fi

I only use the belt when I go heavy for myself. So today I did 260x4 for 3 sets I went like

Barx12
    95x8
    135x5
    185x3
    225x1
    BELT
    260x4 for 3

EDIT: SGT what exactly is a block pull?
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 05-31-2008 at 03:18 PM.

Banned
    The lift that I call block pulls are basically higher dead lifts (the weights sit on some wood blocks to raise it up). Similar to a rack pull, but different enough to call if something else.

He could also be standing on blocks to make the bar lower. I guess it depends on what you want to call the exercise.

I don't know which one he is talking about but those are the two exercises that come to my mind as to what they could be.

Block pulls are with YOU standing on the BLOCK, thats what I was referring to in that instance.

Semper Fi

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    I agree that core work is a must to improve your squat and deadlift. As far as the belt goes, I warm up without it but as soon I get up to 315 I put it on, even though I could keep lifting without it. For me personally, as someone who is still fairly new to squatting heavy, I like wearing the belt for technique purposes; filling with air and pushing out against the belt with my belly when I'm squatting.
    Last edited by HP666; 05-31-2008 at 08:02 PM.

should you still work on your core even if your a heavy guy?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by biglift View Post
    should you still work on your core even if your a heavy guy?
    You know the answer.

Banned
    Being heavy and core strength do not coincide. You should still work the core.

exactly how much core work do you guys usually do? is this like 3 sets of weighted situps, or much more?

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

I do alot of core work and never wear a belt.

Weigthed ab bridge, 45seconds x 5
    BW crunches with feet up
    Lying leg raises
    Sit ups
    Other crap.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Banned
    I use belt more when I am skinnier but now that i am fatter i find i'll put it on for 405 insted od 315.(deadlifts)