Thread: Gain weight and lose fat?

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

Gain weight and lose fat?

Hey there everyone, I recently got back in to the whole weight lifting scene. It's been about a year since I last touched a weight. I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm currently 5'8, 155 pounds. My goal is to gain about 10 pounds of muscle within the next 4-6 months. However, my college career has given me a,"beer belly." My question is, is it possible for me to gain the good weight, and still lose the,"untoned beer belly" at the same time? I've completely changed my diet. Eating a lot more protein, 4-6 small meals a day. I lift about 4-5 days a week, and try to do cardio sessions atleast 3 times a week for a good 30 mins. Is that enough cardio for the week, and is it possible to gain the good weight and get big and still lose the untoned stomach?

Thanks again everyone,

Dan.

No. This has been answered countless times. You can't lose fat but gain muscle unless you take roids. Gaining muscle requires eating a calorie surplus, while losing fat requires a deficit. Plus, you can't just spot reduce fat on your belly. You have to choose which you wanna do first. You're very light, so without seeing pics, I say bulk up, and then cut down. What does your routine look like? If you plan on bulking, make sure you get at least 1 g protein per lb of body weight so 155 at the very least. Get .5 g of fat/ lb, and fill the rest with carbs/ fats/ proteins as you need to hit your cals. Make sure you get enough calories. Aim for idk about 2600 cals to bulk?
    Last edited by yankeekd25; 05-26-2008 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeekd25 View Post
    No. This has been answered countless times. You can't lose fat but gain muscle unless you take roids. Gaining muscle requires eating a calorie surplus, while losing fat requires a deficit. Plus, you can't just spot reduce fat on your belly. You have to choose which you wanna do first. You're very light, so without seeing pics, I say bulk up, and then cut down. What does your routine look like? If you plan on bulking, make sure you get at least 1 g protein per lb of body weight so 155 at the very least. Get .5 g of fat/ lb, and fill the rest with carbs/ fats/ proteins as you need to hit your cals. Make sure you get enough calories. Aim for idk about 2600 cals to bulk?
    You can make gains in muscle mass whilst losing fat. In a cutting state it is not the ideal environment at all for muscle growth but it can happen due to one's body adapting to new stimulus demands(more weight on the bar, different exercises, new to weight training).

However you can not gain weight whilst losing fat.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

dedicated & disciplined
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeekd25 View Post
    No. This has been answered countless times. You can't lose fat but gain muscle unless you take roids.
    Wrong. Its called body recomposition. I've been at it for about a year now. While maintaining around the same body weight I've managed to drop my bf % by around 2 percent. Look much leaner and smaller waist line but weight is still the same. So what happened....lost some fat and gained some muscle. All at the same time. Body recomp definitely takes discipline in your diet and training and plenty of patience but can be done...even without roids.
    Current: 34 yrs. old 5'10.5'' 192 lbs.
    Goals: 195 lbs. 12% bf by dec.09'
    Long term goal: 225 lbs. 10-12% bf
    Best Lifts bench:355 11/10/08 Deadlift:475 5/5/08
    Squat:395 5/6/08.......Total:1225 RAW
    Goals: 1275 total by Dec 09'
    Long term goal: 1500 RAW

videos http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=emilyjeremy1

Work in Progress
    Quote Originally Posted by live2lift View Post
    Wrong. Its called body recomposition. I've been at it for about a year now. While maintaining around the same body weight I've managed to drop my bf % by around 2 percent. Look much leaner and smaller waist line but weight is still the same. So what happened....lost some fat and gained some muscle. All at the same time. Body recomp definitely takes discipline in your diet and training and plenty of patience but can be done...even without roids.
    Is this using UD 2?

dedicated & disciplined
    Quote Originally Posted by Szust View Post
    Is this using UD 2?
    Im not familiar with UD 2. This is just eating clean at or very near maintenance calories. All the while lifting 4-5 times a week.

mmm... discipline
    Quote Originally Posted by live2lift View Post
    A 2 percent loss is respectable... but in a year that's not great progress. Body recompisition is not losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time; it's doing it within the same week or so. You empty your glycogen stores for 4-5 days, and then refill them like crazy for a couple days.

dedicated & disciplined
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan936 View Post
    A 2 percent loss is respectable... but in a year that's not great progress. Body recompisition is not losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time; it's doing it within the same week or so. You empty your glycogen stores for 4-5 days, and then refill them like crazy for a couple days.
    I'll take your word on the body recomp thing. Not sure what it is that I'm doing but Im sure theres a term for it. And yes, dropping bf by 2% in a year isnt all that impressive but if youve gained 5 lbs of muscle while losing 5 lbs of fat that sounds a little better than just cutting hard, losing 2% bf while dropping weight. My physique is more of a marathon than a sprint. Patience and hard work will get you there, just not in 4 months.

My original comment was in response to someone telling someone else that you cant gain muscle while losing fat without the use of steroids. I'm living proof that is not true. Many people just dont have the patience to go about it the way I am.

Yeah, I’ve been yelled at and told you can build muscle and lose weight especially in the beginning for a new guy. You cannot spot reduce fat though. Chances are you will lose the fat around your stomach last.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Oh yeah for sure i've gained about 8 pounds of lean mass while reducing the belly. Like somoene mentioned you CANT reduce fat in a specific area you just need to reduce your total body fat%

dedicated & disciplined
    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime1485 View Post
    Oh yeah for sure i've gained about 8 pounds of lean mass while reducing the belly. Like somoene mentioned you CANT reduce fat in a specific area you just need to reduce your total body fat%
    Totally agree. And yes, for me, and most men, the midsection is usually the first place to gain fat and the last place to lose it. Cut enough of the fat and it will eventually go away.