Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ME Bench Press Day Tips

ME Bench Press Day Tips

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nlDLAwJUsio
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=MgJuXvxqNO4
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=9VVRmqfWyOU

These are the work outs that i did today and i just wanted to post a link cause i dont know how to post a video any tips from some of you top guys are welcome if you notice anything with my form or anything please let me know these are touch and go i never really train pause and the reason i wear the elbow sleeves is cause of the pain i get from speed work it carries into Me day, and the reason i bench to a one board instead of my chest here is because sometimes i get a little pain in my shoulder. I think from the extra stretch so i go down to a 1 board when i feel pain the first one is 480 lbs second video is 405 lbs and third is 525 lbs. I know i could have locked out better but i try to do them quick and sometimes i cant tell intil i see the video.

Start ME on Boards Floor Press Inclines just switch it up. Speed looks great you might want to rotate of speed for alittle do i recover workout like a light day. Also try to do pause presses on your speed day like Wolfe and I have done I think they are great and might want to do 1brd on your speed day too. Also one more tip hold the weight at the top so when u do a meet you will know to wait for the rack command.
    Last edited by kingkong51; 05-27-2008 at 09:44 PM.
    Best Raw Squatter and Sponsored by the Best AtLarge Nutrition, Titan, and APT.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong51 View Post
    Start ME on Boards Floor Press Inclines just switch it up. Speed looks great you might want to rotate of speed for alittle do i recover workout like a light day. Also try to do pause presses on your speed day like Wolfe and I have done I think they are great and might want to do 1brd on your speed day too. Also one more tip hold the weight at the top so when u do a meet you will know to wait for the rack command.
    Thanx rob for the advice i will try a recovery day do you just do like reps on speed day like for instance 225 315 405 for reps or so? i havent been switching exercises on Me day but i will start as i know you have great suscces with it. does the pause presses on DE day like work better for you like on your elbows and shoulders and stuff cause thats my problem i wish i could lift pain free but for right now i have to wear these elbow wraps.Does the pause kind of contradict the speed day or do you think it works better im just asking cause i was always told that on speed day you have to bring it down and just like explode as fast as possible.Oh and yeah i usually do speed day to a 1 board because of the joint pain i get i rarely go to my chest sometimes i even do a 2 board if im in too much pain. Oh and also i will start holding the weight at lockout like you said thanx again for the tips you are a great lifter and i appreciate your advice.
    Last edited by Erik 23; 05-27-2008 at 10:06 PM.

yeah you definatly need to lock those out bro. Not trying to step on you at all, but the set of 405 was almost half range reps. There should not be any doubt in your mind that you lock something out. Your elbow should not be able to extend any more. When you're bringing the bar down, you really don't look tight, which is bad. the weight just looks a tad out of control. How much lat and upper back work do you do? That will play a big part in stabilization on the bench.

I agree with Rob, you need to pause it a little more. You're really droppin it down on your chest.

when you take your weight out of the racks, take it out at complete lockout. I can't tell completly without actually seeing you extend your arm fully to check your range of motion, but from the video it looks like you take the weight out with elbows already bent. You won't get called for it at a meet, but Lou always tells me you will never go where you didn't come from - meaning if you don't start from lockout, you are going to have a pretty tough time getting it there from the chest.

I did have one question, I noticed on your 525 vid that it said that it was your last warmup set? What were you warming up to? I was just a little confused

All that said though, you have got a ton of potential, we just need to harness it a little and you'll be right on. Good work Erik

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    yeah you definatly need to lock those out bro. Not trying to step on you at all, but the set of 405 was almost half range reps. There should not be any doubt in your mind that you lock something out. Your elbow should not be able to extend any more. When you're bringing the bar down, you really don't look tight, which is bad. the weight just looks a tad out of control. How much lat and upper back work do you do? That will play a big part in stabilization on the bench.

I agree with Rob, you need to pause it a little more. You're really droppin it down on your chest.

when you take your weight out of the racks, take it out at complete lockout. I can't tell completly without actually seeing you extend your arm fully to check your range of motion, but from the video it looks like you take the weight out with elbows already bent. You won't get called for it at a meet, but Lou always tells me you will never go where you didn't come from - meaning if you don't start from lockout, you are going to have a pretty tough time getting it there from the chest.

I did have one question, I noticed on your 525 vid that it said that it was your last warmup set? What were you warming up to? I was just a little confused

All that said though, you have got a ton of potential, we just need to harness it a little and you'll be right on. Good work Erik
    Hi travis i attempted 600 but didnt get it I thought i locked it out i will do better next time i will post another video i dont mean to drop it i just try to bring it down fast and push up fast i know im not the best bencher right now but i am Hoping to get tips from you guys as i am really coaching myself so i dont have any one to tell me if its not locked out thanx for the advice next video i take i will make sure it is locked out fully I dont do a lot of back work just deadlift and lat pull downs mostly i have a decent deadlift i did 745 in the gym so i thought my lats were strong enough.I need to take a trip down to westside and get some tips from you guys lou and everyone. well thanx for the response travis i hope training is going well with you too take care.
    Last edited by Erik 23; 05-27-2008 at 10:15 PM.

Right, one thing I notice as did Travis is that you are not really controlling the negative portion of the movement. You are using some crazy loads not to be doing so and I think you will really limit yourself with possible injury etc. if you don't start now.

You are definitely VERY strong. Do you wish to compete, or just be as strong as possible?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Right, one thing I notice as did Travis is that you are not really controlling the negative portion of the movement. You are using some crazy loads not to be doing so and I think you will really limit yourself with possible injury etc. if you don't start now.

You are definitely VERY strong. Do you wish to compete, or just be as strong as possible?
    Hi chris i would like to compete someday but its kind of hard the only meet ive ever done in my life is mike wolfes charity meet and i dont have any coaching except for you guys on here so thats why im posting videos so i can get tips from the big name guys that been doing it for awhile I will take into account what your saying too about the negative portion thanx for the response by the way love your website take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik 23 View Post
    Hi travis i attempted 600 but didnt get it I thought i locked it out i will do better next time i will post another video i dont mean to drop it i just try to bring it down fast and push up fast i know im not the best bencher right now but i am Hoping to get tips from you guys as i am really coaching myself so i dont have any one to tell me if its not locked out thanx for the advice next video i take i will make sure it is locked out fully I dont do a lot of back work just deadlift and lat pull downs mostly i have a decent deadlift i did 745 in the gym so i thought my lats were strong enough.I need to take a trip down to westside and get some tips from you guys lou and everyone. well thanx for the response travis i hope training is going well with you too take care.

600?? Wow. Thats alot of weight man. I'd actually be interested in seeing that video as well if you have it. I assume it was off boards?

The reason you need to lock out your reps is because it trains the lockout. You'll miss more weights at the top if you don't train it, along with other tricep work.

Try to add some bent over barbell rows and maybe one arm dumbbell rows too. Close grip cable rows and shrugs for the upper back. It will definatly make you more stable.

Take it easy too, heal up before you get injured. You're too young and have much too much potential to get injured brother! Let me know when you would like to come down and we'll set you up

I agree with them all i was stating the obvious. For the pauses on speed just for a switch up and see how fast I can get it to lockout. No I do drop fast but I control the weight too like Travis said control the weight from start to finish. For the rep days I usually stay in the 225 to 315 range but thats up to you do how your body feels but its mainly for recovery purposes. An your deadlift is great but you need to do more lat work for stability.

600?? Wow. Thats alot of weight man. I'd actually be interested in seeing that video as well if you have it. I assume it was off boards?

The reason you need to lock out your reps is because it trains the lockout. You'll miss more weights at the top if you don't train it, along with other tricep work.

Try to add some bent over barbell rows and maybe one arm dumbbell rows too. Close grip cable rows and shrugs for the upper back. It will definatly make you more stable.

Take it easy too, heal up before you get injured. You're too young and have much too much potential to get injured brother! Let me know when you would like to come down and we'll set you up
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFxjszpvzoc
    THis is the link to the 600 lbs attempt but it was no where near close
    I will take into account the upper back work thanx for the tips i really dont do any thing for uper back i just deadlift and call it a day but that would explain why my lats were hurting so bad i could barely drive home after working out LOL! Oh also see i can lock out the reps but honestly i think its cause how fast i lift i think that im locking them out intil i see video than im like whoa LOL! well im still learning i think this one was better than the last video i will keep at it and try to perfect my form.Oh and thanx for the offer i will definately let you know when im coming down i would love to train with you george halbert mike wolfe and those guys maybe you guys can help me in person cause i dont have any help currently until recently i didnt even have a handoff guy just different people i could find LOL

I agree with them all i was stating the obvious. For the pauses on speed just for a switch up and see how fast I can get it to lockout. No I do drop fast but I control the weight too like Travis said control the weight from start to finish. For the rep days I usually stay in the 225 to 315 range but thats up to you do how your body feels but its mainly for recovery purposes. An your deadlift is great but you need to do more lat work for stability.
    Your right next video i will control it more and push to lock out more i mean is my form that bad? if so i will work on it.Okay i will try the pause presses when i do speed day.I see the lat work is important i will do more rows and lat pulldowns and stuff thanx again for the response.

Work in Progress
    A little off topic... but what sort of routine, in the long run, gets you benching this much? I was pumped the other day when I broke 300. This is just wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Szust View Post
    A little off topic... but what sort of routine, in the long run, gets you benching this much? I was pumped the other day when I broke 300. This is just wild.
    Hi szust thanx for the reply honestly i just work up to a single or double i basically follow like a Westside barbell routine or atleast the parts i understand LOL. Basically like my sets go like this its not the same weight every week but this is what i try to do like today i did 135 for 8 reps 225 for 5 reps 315 for 5 reps 405 for 3 reps 480 for 2 reps 525 for 2 reps and attempted a new max but didnt get it. so as you see i just keep the weights low but if your interested in following a routine like this i would talk to travis bell as he is far more knowledgable in the area of westside training principles i just go by what i read about from louie simmons. And the dvds i have of his. good luck in your training

Work in Progress
    Hi szust thanx for the reply honestly i just work up to a single or double i basically follow like a Westside barbell routine or atleast the parts i understand LOL. Basically like my sets go like this its not the same weight every week but this is what i try to do like today i did 135 for 8 reps 225 for 5 reps 315 for 5 reps 405 for 3 reps 480 for 2 reps 525 for 2 reps and attempted a new max but didnt get it. so as you see i just keep the weights low but if your interested in following a routine like this i would talk to travis bell as he is far more knowledgable in the area of westside training principles i just go by what i read about from louie simmons. And the dvds i have of his. good luck in your training
    Thanks. I really want to get strong to the point of being able to compete. I'm still 19 and feel I have a lot of room and time to grow, so I want to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Szust View Post
    Thanks. I really want to get strong to the point of being able to compete. I'm still 19 and feel I have a lot of room and time to grow, so I want to get it right.
    Im the same way i just turned 23 a few weeks ago so im still trying to learn how to lift correctly also.your doing the right thing by coming and asking for advice the way i look at it is you never stop learning even if someday i bench 700 raw i will still be humble and ask other lifters of there opinions and help, as in this game you can never have enough knowledge. I dont know where you live but try to get by a local powerlifting gym and try to train with some of those guys im sure once they see your dedicated they will be more than willing to help you i dont think im nearly as qualified to help you as some of these other guys but if you ever have any questions i will try to help you to the best of my abbilities.

Your right next video i will control it more and push to lock out more i mean is my form that bad? if so i will work on it.Okay i will try the pause presses when i do speed day.I see the lat work is important i will do more rows and lat pulldowns and stuff thanx again for the response.
    Youre Welcome Bro form isnt bad just have more control

Wannabebig Member
    Northern Illinois University/Zenzen Barbell
    whats your grip on all these sets? pinky, ring, middle, index on ring?

Quote Originally Posted by TankOfTeamStone View Post
    whats your grip on all these sets? pinky, ring, middle, index on ring?
    Usually index on ring sometimes pinky on ring i bench really close well close to me considering i have long arms.LOL!

Work in Progress
    Im the same way i just turned 23 a few weeks ago so im still trying to learn how to lift correctly also.your doing the right thing by coming and asking for advice the way i look at it is you never stop learning even if someday i bench 700 raw i will still be humble and ask other lifters of there opinions and help, as in this game you can never have enough knowledge. I dont know where you live but try to get by a local powerlifting gym and try to train with some of those guys im sure once they see your dedicated they will be more than willing to help you i dont think im nearly as qualified to help you as some of these other guys but if you ever have any questions i will try to help you to the best of my abbilities.
    I'm glad to hear that. The "know it alls" of power lifting are definitely the most annoying. I'll find a power lifting gym near me and prove my dedication and potential to them. Maybe then I can start my powerlifting career.

Great point! You also lower the weight quickly, but exhibit better control which is a VERY important factor.

The lockout issue being mentioned:

Strive to fully lockout your arms prior to allowing the bar to drift back towards the rack as you seem to do. As the others have mentioned, when you do compete this will be very important.

Erik, have you ever tried floor pressing?

Erik, have you ever tried floor pressing?
    Hi travis no i never tried it i might give it a try though pretty much i just been doing flat bench every week but i need to switch it up some. Does it help with lock out is it a good exercise for your triceps? i can try it ive been going heavy for far too long now, i think next week i will take a light work out. I might try it then. I watched your videos i will try to get my form down like yours on the floor presses.

UPA Lousiana Chairman Eric Downey's Avatar
    I havent read every post so some may have said this but; keep it simple. with Jesse we do the same half a dozen exercise for ME work. They only change in the sets and reps and as the meets get closer. Heavy DB (our DB's go to 200) and banded smith machine work is kinda the staple of our work outs. Take the counter weight of the smaith and double bands from the bottom. We have gone as heavy as dbl greens with 275 on the bar. The amount of lock out power you need is unreal but it makes you push as hard and fast as you can from the bottom.

Hi travis no i never tried it i might give it a try though pretty much i just been doing flat bench every week but i need to switch it up some. Does it help with lock out is it a good exercise for your triceps? i can try it ive been going heavy for far too long now, i think next week i will take a light work out. I might try it then. I watched your videos i will try to get my form down like yours on the floor presses.
    yeah its a great exercise for the triceps and mid range power