Thread: Cutting Advice

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Cutting Advice

pretty much i decided i dont care how much weight i can lift anymore...i got up to benching 305 at one point but the way ive been lifting for the last year has just given me big shapeless muscles...i find myself envying the 130 pound wrestlers who are ripped to shreds..

so yesterday i started a cutting cycle for the first time in my life...i know all the basics of a cut; higher reps, shorter rest between sets, diet, cardio etc...

for my workouts ive been doing splits of chest/back, bis/tris, and shoulders/legs twice a week. pretty much what i do is pick 2 lifts for each muscle group (at least one of them being a core lift) and do 6 sets of 10, and i superset everything with 30 seconds of abs, to keep calories burning between sets...for cardio i run up and down with the highschool basketball team for about an hour everyday...i workout in a really terrible weightroom with only the most basic of equipment..but its cool because it used to be a wrestling room so it is literally about 110 degrees in there at all time..

right now im 6'2 and i weigh about 195...i want to lose about 15 pounds of bodyfat

my main questions are:

1: complemented with a good diet; does this workout plan sound effective?
    2. what are some specific lifts i should focus on doing?
    3. what are the best supplements to take during a cut?

and just any advice on cutting in general would be appreciated...

thanks

Actually on a cut you should do lower sets, rest more often and heavier weight...

1+2) Use a routine with lower sets, don't super set (if you do, not often at all). Check out some of the premade ones on this site (BGB). Obviously keep doing squats, bench, deadlifts, rows... the only thing you may have to change is your rep/set scheme

3) Protein power is convenient, creatine you can take either way... You can take an EC stack to speed up the process.

Work in Progress
    Why are you cutting at 195 lbs at 6'2"? I'm 6'1" and have 200 lbs Lean Body Mass, but I'm on a cut because I weigh 250.

Quote Originally Posted by Szust View Post
    Why are you cutting at 195 lbs at 6'2"? I'm 6'1" and have 200 lbs Lean Body Mass, but I'm on a cut because I weigh 250.
    It depends what his % body fat is. If he's at 20+% BF he should probably cut down to around 12-15% then start bulking again. Even when doing a clean bulk you are still gonna gain fat and it's probably better to keep your %BF under control if it starts getting too high rather than letting it get up to 25-30% before you start to cut.
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

Work in Progress
    Quote Originally Posted by SMK41 View Post
    It depends what his % body fat is. If he's at 20+% BF he should probably cut down to around 12-15% then start bulking again. Even when doing a clean bulk you are still gonna gain fat and it's probably better to keep your %BF under control if it starts getting too high rather than letting it get up to 25-30% before you start to cut.
    I don't see how he can bench 300, weigh 195, and have over 20% bodyfat, is all I'm saying.

Wannabebig Member
    i have absolutely no idea what my bodyfat is...the last time i tested it was when i was in 10th grade before i ever started lifting weights and it was 16%....i probably weighed 180 pounds though then and was running constantly..so i really think now i may be pushing 20%...i really want to eventually be in the 10-12% range

im thinking of buying one of those handheld bodyfat things....are those fairly reliable/accurate?

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    I use one of those scales that reads bodyfat. It's by no means 100% accurate, but it's fairly close. If you just use it as a point of reference it's great. Good quality ones can be had for pretty cheap these days. I also own a pair of calipers, but unless your experienced with them they can be difficult to get an accurate reading.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    As far as supplements go, you should check out ALN's fat loss stack. Nitor kicks a**!
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

Wannabebig Member
    does gnc sell those handheld bodyfat things or where would be a good place to buy one?

Why do you care about BF%? Go by the mirror.