The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

View Poll Results: Can you dunk a basketball?

Voters
216. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep!

40 18.52%
  • Nope!

157 72.69%
  • Used to!

19 8.80%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Can you dunk a basketball?

I used to be able to in my volleyball-playing days in college. Barely, but was able to.

(I even dunked on the court at the Meadowlands--Continental Airlines Area, or the Izod Centre, or whatever the hell it's called these days. Also, on the West 4th courts in NYC)
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think I can prolly dunk on a 8.5-9 foot hoop. I think the standard NBA hoop is 10 feet right?

I'm 5'9 and over 200lbs, so nope. I can at least come within an inch of touching the rim, though, which is pretty good for my size.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Yeah as of right now I'm 5'11 and 205lbs and I can touch the rim barely.. so no. What pisses me off is that I know a guy who's like 5'9 and jumps like a frog its insane.

Banned
    5'8" and have a couple of times
    white guys do have ups!

I don't know anymore. it's been forever since I stepped on the court. I sort of could in college. Sort of, as in you could've called it a weak dunk, or really aggressive layup, lol.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

im 5'10 and 220.. cant do it, but am sure gonna start working on it... contest idea?
    Sarvamangalam!

I can dunk pretty easily, even from a stand still. Not that impressive at my height, but hey, you asked.

6'1'', 200...I can jump high enough I just need to work on palming the ball better.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    5'8" and have a couple of times
    white guys do have ups!
    Let's see a vid.

Not saying you couldn't, but if you can then I'd like to see it because it would be impressive.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I wannabebig!
    Haven't tried in awhile, but usually when I hover about 180 I dunk fine... im sure I can dunk now with a miniature size bball.

im 5'11

no, I can't. I wouldn't mind working up to it though.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

I dunked on one of the hoops at a local park. Honestly though, it was probably a few inches below 10 feet. I can easily get above the rim @ 5' 11, but can't dunk on a lefit hoop. Measued my hops about 4 years ago at something around 37 inches. No clue what is is now, haven't played hoops in over a year.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

I used to be heavily into basketball my whole life but jumping was the only thing I couldn't do. I can get within a couple of inches of the rim @ 5'9".

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Let's see a vid.

Not saying you couldn't, but if you can then I'd like to see it because it would be impressive.
    i need to but my camrea isnt working right now and dont know of any rims around this town .
    i cant jump quite as high as my highest, but im not to far off, i can still grab the rim and stuff, i also used to be able to clear fences or jump on platforms my shoulder height, people jused to say i jumped like a deer or jack rabit back then.
    if i wasnt so lazy latley id get a video, but for know everyone can say im all talk.

Well, I can't dunk yet, but I only started training seriously around the start of August last year.
    175-177lbs at 6' 1/2" and I touched a ten foot rim for the first time ever yesterday. On my best jump, I got the top of my palm (where the fingers attach) to bump up against the underside, so I think I was about 3 and a half to 4 inches over the rim. On my only, and best, standing jump I managed to nick one of the things that the netting attaches to.
    It felt great to finally see some results after all my work, totally pumped to keep working hard.
    Age: 20 / Height: 6' 1" / Weight: 200lbs / Squat: 315lbs / Deadlift: 325lbs / Bench: 225lbs

Hangar 18 - Journal

of course, but being 6'5'' helps a bit
    |A:26 | H:6'5'' | W:198| GW: 215|
    Stats: Start | Current | Goal
    Bench: 135lb |170lb| 225lb
    Squat: 135lb |185lb| 225lb
    Dead: 180 |185lb| 315lb
    OH Press: 85lb |100lb| 150lb
    (all 3 x 5 reps)

Banned
    i can at 260lbs lil over 6'3

hell im only 5' 10" and i can jump over the whole hoop. My neices 4' hoop that is.. Real ones not so much

I'm almost 6'.. I haven't tried touching the rim, I'm pretty sure I can get close.
    Height: 5'11
    Starting Weight: 112
    5/15/08

Current Weight: 122 (+8)
    8/25/08
    Stage: Bulking

Footballer
    I can dunk every now and then, for me it's an issue of ball control rather than hops. I can touch 10'9" standing vertical.
    Last edited by BigRic; 05-31-2008 at 11:07 AM.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    I dunked on one of the hoops at a local park. Honestly though, it was probably a few inches below 10 feet. I can easily get above the rim @ 5' 11, but can't dunk on a lefit hoop. Measued my hops about 4 years ago at something around 37 inches. No clue what is is now, haven't played hoops in over a year.
    you realize that is an ass load right? all star college athletes are lucky if they can jump that high

I am 6'1/2", I have no idea what my vert is right now, but back in hs when I was still serious into sports, at the Maryland football combine I was tested at like 29" (@ abut 6') and could dunk if I got a really good jump - so maybe one out of every 3 or 4 trys)

considering i can stand on my tip toes and touch a little over 8 feet, your prolly just under that:

now add 37" to that....you could almost dunk on an 11 foot rim(where 11'x12" = 132" and 8'x12" + 37" = 133"), I always figure being able to get 6" above the rim enabled you to dunk, or there abouts

btw, I play basketball once or twice a week with some guys at the gym, and can get a half decent dunk in after I am well warmed up (on occasion), though I am only about 185 right now - if i were back at 205 i doubt it
    Last edited by emjlr3; 05-31-2008 at 04:09 PM.
    Height: 6' 1/2" Age: 24

Current Status: The brace is off....
    Weight: 208 lbs.

Back in action...

Banned
    i dont think 38 is to uncommon of a verticle. rare, but not to rare.
    my highest was about 38", with my reach (stretched) at 86" or 7'2" and getting about 4" over a 10 foot rim.
    at the arnold classic where they had the jump measurement i had a standing jump at 34" or 36" (cant remember exactly but one of those)
    now a 40" verticle or over is extremely rare.

if you can find me another person with a 38" vertical id **** myself

in the entire dback lineup at the Maryland combine (about 150 or so of the top prospects from around the Maryland area) I think maybe 2 or 3 had that kind of vertical

seriously dude, those are some mad ups - I think professional basketball players would be quite happy with a vertical around there
    Height: 6' 1/2" Age: 24

Current Status: The brace is off....
    Weight: 208 lbs.

Back in action...

True. According to the most recent NFL combine stats, a 38" vertical would have been one of the 3-4 highest by anyone in the combine. A 38" vert would put you among the elite wide receivers or CB's in D1 or the NFL.

I did the jump test at the Arnold Classic, too, and mine was 30" which was one of the higher one's of the people there. Some guy even came up to me after I did it and asked if I was a college football player or gymnast.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal