The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Should you cut first then bulk or vice versa?

Hello,

I have been lifting weights for a couple months just using a routine i found off the net without doing research first. Now I want to make sure I am doing things right so I have a question.

I am 5'10" and weight 190lbs with a 34 waist, I dont feel that I am overweight except for my gut, it is flabbier than i would like.

Once I am toned and built I would like to still weigh between 180-190lbs.

Should I cut first to get toned and then bulk up or should I bulk up and lift weights and then cut?

I am afraid if I cut first and then get down to 170lbs or so it will be harder to get back up to 180-190. Is this true or is it better for me to cut first then bulk up?

thanks in advance
    Last edited by projectpete19; 05-30-2008 at 08:37 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The only person that can answer this question is you. If you think you have too much fat, cut. If you think you don't have enough muscle, bulk. If you think both are true, then you have to decide if you'd rather lose the fat or gain some muscle.

In your situation, without seeing any pictures, I think I'd probably clean up my diet a little bit and concentrate on lifting heavy without worrying about cutting or bulking, but like I said, it all depends on your comfort with your own body.

All depends you may find a clean diet, high protein, heavy lifting, and cardio. May get your desired goals all in one shot, all depends on your genetics.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast Genetics View Post
    All depends you may find a clean diet, high protein, heavy lifting, and cardio. May get your desired goals all in one shot, all depends on your genetics.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    The only person that can answer this question is you. If you think you have too much fat, cut. If you think you don't have enough muscle, bulk.

Nothing more to be said.

I don't understand these threads.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Nothing more to be said.

I don't understand these threads.
    I do. There are still tons of people who don't know a lot about lifting/eating. That is why this site is great, to set them straight.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

I had the same question... just look at what people told me....http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=110696

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    I do. There are still tons of people who don't know a lot about lifting/eating. That is why this site is great, to set them straight.

Set them straight about what? Whether they're too fat or too skinny? It's your choice and should be based on how you feel about your own body. My point is that if people are unhappy with the way they look because of excess body fat, cut. If they feel they're too skinny, bulk.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

So in answer to the OP... you've only been lifting weights for a couple of months, so the most important thing you can be doing right now is looking at your diet and changing your habits (forming new habits). All your gains will come from diet first. Routine is secondary when your trying to change your body, for strength, specific sport, trying to look good for the mirror. Lifting will become second nature for you, its the diet aspect that will hold you back more than anything else if you don't have the knowledge...

with that said, do a search. There are some excellent resource on this site and all over the internet.

In my opinion, a person should be healthy before deciding to overload the body with all kinds of food. It will be easier to take off the weight at the end, and nobody ever thinks about that part...

I guess what the others are saying is true in the end, if you think you're too fat start losing weight. If your too skinny, start puttin on some lbs. Not a brain teaser.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Set them straight about what? Whether they're too fat or too skinny? It's your choice and should be based on how you feel about your own body. My point is that if people are unhappy with the way they look because of excess body fat, cut. If they feel they're too skinny, bulk.

I think we are agreeing. This guy, the op, is worrying about things he shouldn't be worrying about right now. he needs to just continue to lift and eat right. he just started training.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Wannabebig Member
    i am just going to eat right as I have been for the past year and just lift and do cardio. wait another few months and see what progress i make and then re-evaluate form there.

i gained weight about 5 years ago from eating fast food every day for a little over 6 months and i have a desk job and have not been active at all for about the same amount of time.

thanks for the advice.
    Last edited by projectpete19; 06-02-2008 at 11:43 AM.