Thread: Light day for Bench today 405 for 10

Light day for Bench today 405 for 10

THis is what i did today instead of the normal max effort stuff i thought id just take something light for reps just so i could get a few reps so i did this today Yes i know my form isnt great up intil i think it was rep 6 or 7 i was good then i started getting off balance then im benching up crooked Etc... I dont train in a Powerlifting gym so i dont have any one to critique my Form or say Lockout or anything so i have to Remember this stuff as im benching .Oh well just thought id post something i just thought my body needed a rest this week.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0W-k61R8Bs

Keep at it bud. You're still not finishing your reps. Same as last week

I think you probably need to work with a lighter weight even and work on making every single rep go from chest, to complete lockout. Pause at lockout, and then come back down

Are you making them fast because you're trying for the explosive speed that Lou talks about? If you are, make sure you remember, he says speed + control. You've gotta control that weight.

extend the elbows completly next time. I just watched the video again and noticed your elbows flare back towards your head at the bottom. Not good. That will stress out the shoulders, but also you want to keep your elbows under the weight so you can use the triceps.

I think you just need to slow down a little and think through what you're doing. You seem too much in a hurry and end up making the same mistakes.

Like I say though, keep at it, you're very strong and just need to harness it. Next time I post a video, I'll make sure I have a better angle so you can see my elbows better

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Hi Travis thanx for the response yeah i think the speed thing comes from when i used to read the articles and stuff from westside and then when i seen like George Halbert lift he did the lifts so fast i guess thats the way i thought it should go.Thanx for the tips i didnt even notice about my elbows flaring i will work on staying tighter and try to keep them in close to my body

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Keep at it bud. You're still not finishing your reps. Same as last week

I think you probably need to work with a lighter weight even and work on making every single rep go from chest, to complete lockout. Pause at lockout, and then come back down

Are you making them fast because you're trying for the explosive speed that Lou talks about? If you are, make sure you remember, he says speed + control. You've gotta control that weight.

extend the elbows completly next time. I just watched the video again and noticed your elbows flare back towards your head at the bottom. Not good. That will stress out the shoulders, but also you want to keep your elbows under the weight so you can use the triceps.

I think you just need to slow down a little and think through what you're doing. You seem too much in a hurry and end up making the same mistakes.

Like I say though, keep at it, you're very strong and just need to harness it. Next time I post a video, I'll make sure I have a better angle so you can see my elbows better

well you do want to be fast, but you can't just jump right to George Halbert level speed right off the bat. you've gotta work up to it. Its taken him years and years of hard work and concentration to be able to move weight that fast and still keep it under control. You're doin good though. I wouldn't enter a meet just yet, but keep trying!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

UPA Lousiana Chairman Eric Downey's Avatar
    Halbert level of speed!! Jesse once told me that Halbert did 405 once in a warm-up room faster than anyone with any other weight.

Brother you are very stronge but listen to Travis. Control the weight other wise your gonna wide up hurting your self. Where do you live? There has got to be a better gym you get you in. Travel a little if you have to. I drive 30 min to train with my guys. Mike Wolfe drives 90mins one way to westside to train. You gotta want it and take it. No one is gonna give it to you.
    CLASH FOR CASH RAW504 SEPT. 11, 2010 KENNER, LA CLICK FOR INFO
    Eric "BIG EZY" Downey
    RAW BENCH BEST: 523 Raw Unity 2010
    RAW UNITY VID
    RAW TOTAL BEST:534.5 - 507 - 556.5 1598 APA Raw Nationals 2010
    534 SQUAT
    507 BENCH
    556 DEADLIFT
    Facebook YOUTUBE

I don't have a real problem with the non locking-out when he is pounding out higher reps, but I agree with everyone that you are looking too loose with the reps. Control is the name of the game and without it you will injure yourself eventually and then not be able to bench at all (possibly). Take care, you are young. Build your strength with some patience.

You keep saying you have no ability to get advice and you come here for it, but I don't see you changing ANYTHING you are doing based on the advice you are getting here.

Chin and Heart
    Do you have any videos with proper reps?
    edit: You are strong, but very lazy.
    Last edited by Plyo-Solidity; 06-03-2008 at 12:37 AM.

Work in Progress
    Try going slower with less weight and getting a feel for complete lockout. The hardest part for my bench is the top. Maybe it's a weak point you don't know you have, or choose to ignore? Either way, I'm still really impressed with the weight you put up.
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)

First off brother...VERY STRONG! My two cents is LOSE the elbow wraps unless you have an injury there. Cycle back to 350 or so and do FULL LOCKOUT REPS with it for 3x5, and add 10-15lbs per week or so, and you will get up to 405 for reps easy, but with much better form. Also your grip is a bit close, if you havent given it a try, work out slowly until your pointer finger is on the ring. Again bro, listen to the positives on this thread, your strong, you just need a little bit of a technique adjustment, and lose the elbow wraps.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I don't have a real problem with the non locking-out when he is pounding out higher reps, but I agree with everyone that you are looking too loose with the reps. Control is the name of the game and without it you will injure yourself eventually and then not be able to bench at all (possibly). Take care, you are young. Build your strength with some patience.

You keep saying you have no ability to get advice and you come here for it, but I don't see you changing ANYTHING you are doing based on the advice you are getting here.
    I Disagree with you Chris i am using the Advice and taking it too heart I just got a little careless on those reps but I am taking advice thats why im Dropping back on weight Thanx for the Response

Quote Originally Posted by Plyo-Solidity View Post
    Do you have any videos with proper reps?
    edit: You are strong, but very lazy.
    No i dont have any other videos but i can put one up later ,Dont call me lazy i train just as hard as anybody No need to call me that, Thanx for the reply though.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROCK View Post
    First off brother...VERY STRONG! My two cents is LOSE the elbow wraps unless you have an injury there. Cycle back to 350 or so and do FULL LOCKOUT REPS with it for 3x5, and add 10-15lbs per week or so, and you will get up to 405 for reps easy, but with much better form. Also your grip is a bit close, if you havent given it a try, work out slowly until your pointer finger is on the ring. Again bro, listen to the positives on this thread, your strong, you just need a little bit of a technique adjustment, and lose the elbow wraps.Thanx for the Reply Rock i Appreciate the Advice ima drop back next week The reason for the elbow wraps is because i get pain in both elbows i think from squatting and using bands.By the way are you competing pretty soon id love to see you in your next contest you are a great lifter GodBless.

Semper Fi
    Quote Originally Posted by Szust View Post
    Try going slower with less weight and getting a feel for complete lockout. The hardest part for my bench is the top. Maybe it's a weak point you don't know you have, or choose to ignore? Either way, I'm still really impressed with the weight you put up.
    Hi thanx for the reply ill keep that in mind I didnt really like this set when i seen it on video but my next couple sets i did a lot better with.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Downey View Post
    Halbert level of speed!! Jesse once told me that Halbert did 405 once in a warm-up room faster than anyone with any other weight.

Brother you are very stronge but listen to Travis. Control the weight other wise your gonna wide up hurting your self. Where do you live? There has got to be a better gym you get you in. Travel a little if you have to. I drive 30 min to train with my guys. Mike Wolfe drives 90mins one way to westside to train. You gotta want it and take it. No one is gonna give it to you.
    I hear you Brother I live in Chicago Illinois I have to find a Good gym Id be willing to travel right now i work pretty late so thats the problem But yeah i do want to get better and i will. Like travis said im not gonna compete just yet i will Fix my form Get stuff straightened out and then i will Compete Thanx for the Response

Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROCK View Post
    First off brother...VERY STRONG! My two cents is LOSE the elbow wraps unless you have an injury there. Cycle back to 350 or so and do FULL LOCKOUT REPS with it for 3x5, and add 10-15lbs per week or so, and you will get up to 405 for reps easy, but with much better form. Also your grip is a bit close, if you havent given it a try, work out slowly until your pointer finger is on the ring. Again bro, listen to the positives on this thread, your strong, you just need a little bit of a technique adjustment, and lose the elbow wraps.

Semper Fi
    Thanx for the Advice Rock yeah ima drop back next week im on a new program any way so ill probally be back down for a couple weeks I use the elbow wraps because of the amount of pain i get without them in my elbows from using bands and squatting.I tried the grip your talking about but i feel more comfortable doing like a closer grip i use to always feel like something was about to tear going wide like that.But yeah im listening to the positive comments i appreciate all the support i get and the tips help out a lot. Oh by the way how are you healing up i hope all is going well with your healing you will be back on the platform before you know it ill keep you in my prayers Rock GodBless.

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik 23 View Post
    THis is what i did today instead of the normal max effort stuff i thought id just take something light for reps just so i could get a few reps so i did this today Yes i know my form isnt great up intil i think it was rep 6 or 7 i was good then i started getting off balance then im benching up crooked Etc... I dont train in a Powerlifting gym so i dont have any one to critique my Form or say Lockout or anything so i have to Remember this stuff as im benching .Oh well just thought id post something i just thought my body needed a rest this week.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0W-k61R8Bs
    You are very strong
    Definitely, drop the weight down & concentrate on better technique/form. I don't know if you plan to compete or not, but a bp competition you will have to full range of motion.

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
    GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

Just watched the video. Laughing my ass off. Erik I know your a young kid but that was pathetic form. First thing about lifting that every young lifter should learn is proper form. Keep benching like that and you will end up getting injured sooner than later. I agree w/ Travis advice about lowering the weight so you can tighten up your form. Bouncing and 3/4 presses are great if you want to body build but if you want to be a power lifter you need to clean it up. Control your reps on the way down. Touch and go is fine but not bouncing. Take each rep to lock out and hold it for a second or two. (arms straight and totally extended) Body builders can get buy w/ 3/4 reps but powerliftinger will play as they practice if you don't lock it out in training habbit will take over and you won't lock it out when it counts. Like Rock said loose the knee wraps on your elbows. If you want to keep them warm use liniment or a loose elbow sleeve. And the gloves have to go. This is powerlifting calissed hands are cool! I think the comment made above about you being lazy isn't directed towards you work effort but you lack of taking the time to slow it down and concentrate on every rep. Benching starts with proper set up. Once you have a solid base there isn't going to be any shifting. Like Rock said move your grip out a finger at a time till you have a wide grip. You live in the Chicago area. Check out Quads Gym there is a couple in the Chicago area. Ed Coan and The Gladiator Powerlifting Team belong to one of the gyms. There are a lot of knowledgeable lifters that will take the time to work with you.. You have a lot of potential to be a strong. I know I was a little hard on you but thats how you learn. If you were to come to my gym to train with **** like that I would have jumped all over your ****. Safety first strength will come!
    Last edited by Rob Luyando; 06-03-2008 at 07:27 AM.

the only thing i did watching that was cringe and wonder how long it's going to take you to get hurt. Strong dude but damn man... get with a good plgym or pl coach and get them to revamp your form completely. You need to have that spotter get off your nuts too..if you have a problem confidently benching heavy weight without a spotter... use a cage. Like everyone's said you're still a good 1/3rd of your ROM away from locking those reps out. You're good..but there's alot of room for improvement.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Quote Originally Posted by Erik 23 View Post
    I Disagree with you Chris i am using the Advice and taking it too heart I just got a little careless on those reps but I am taking advice thats why im Dropping back on weight Thanx for the Response

I think Chris' point was that your reps look the same every week, which is something I mentioned in my post. We're talking major form readjustment needs to happen brother

I really would like to see you post a video of some full range reps. The reason you need to lock them out is a) its not a rep if its not full range and b) your lockout will increasingly become weaker. Gotta work that lockout bud. You do work hard though, that is true.

Is there a reason why you don't go to Eddy Coans gym? I remember you said you've trained there before

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I think Chris' point was that your reps look the same every week, which is something I mentioned in my post. We're talking major form readjustment needs to happen brother

I really would like to see you post a video of some full range reps. The reason you need to lock them out is a) its not a rep if its not full range and b) your lockout will increasingly become weaker. Gotta work that lockout bud. You do work hard though, that is true.

Is there a reason why you don't go to Eddy Coans gym? I remember you said you've trained there before
    Travis you are right i apologize to you and the other powerlifters if it looks like i am not taking your advice i am listening to what you are saying and i will post a better video shortly.The Reason i dont go to Quads Coans gym Currently is Because how i Work i am a Construction Worker and i dont Even Get off of work intil Late they bench at like 3:00 and i dont get off til like 5 or 6 somedays and they do Bench on saturdays Rob vick and Tommy harris but they bench at like 10:am i work on saturday too mostly.But as soon as soon as i can get back there consistantly i will train up there again.Thanx for the Response

Quote Originally Posted by thewicked View Post
    the only thing i did watching that was cringe and wonder how long it's going to take you to get hurt. Strong dude but damn man... get with a good plgym or pl coach and get them to revamp your form completely. You need to have that spotter get off your nuts too..if you have a problem confidently benching heavy weight without a spotter... use a cage. Like everyone's said you're still a good 1/3rd of your ROM away from locking those reps out. You're good..but there's alot of room for improvement.
    I will get back with a good gym soon The spotter just stays close i didnt ask him to grab the bar or anything i think he thought i mightve couldnt get that because of how my form was i know it wasnt the best but hey ill just take another video.But i am very confident in the weight Like everyone said i just need to correct my form.Thanx for the response

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luyando View Post
    Just watched the video. Laughing my ass off. Erik I know your a young kid but that was pathetic form. First thing about lifting that every young lifter should learn is proper form. Keep benching like that and you will end up getting injured sooner than later. I agree w/ Travis advice about lowering the weight so you can tighten up your form. Bouncing and 3/4 presses are great if you want to body build but if you want to be a power lifter you need to clean it up. Control your reps on the way down. Touch and go is fine but not bouncing. Take each rep to lock out and hold it for a second or two. (arms straight and totally extended) Body builders can get buy w/ 3/4 reps but powerliftinger will play as they practice if you don't lock it out in training habbit will take over and you won't lock it out when it counts. Like Rock said loose the knee wraps on your elbows. If you want to keep them warm use liniment or a loose elbow sleeve. And the gloves have to go. This is powerlifting calissed hands are cool! I think the comment made above about you being lazy isn't directed towards you work effort but you lack of taking the time to slow it down and concentrate on every rep. Benching starts with proper set up. Once you have a solid base there isn't going to be any shifting. Like Rock said move your grip out a finger at a time till you have a wide grip. You live in the Chicago area. Check out Quads Gym there is a couple in the Chicago area. Ed Coan and The Gladiator Powerlifting Team belong to one of the gyms. There are a lot of knowledgeable lifters that will take the time to work with you.. You have a lot of potential to be a strong. I know I was a little hard on you but thats how you learn. If you were to come to my gym to train with **** like that I would have jumped all over your ****. Safety first strength will come!
    Thanx for the Response Rob It's cool about the comments i understand i need to get my Form in order first. Oh and i wasnt wearing gloves just Elbow wraps and Wrist wraps, Maybe ill try to take like you said a finger at a time on the grip I explain in the above post why im not at quads anymore right now if your wondering.Thanx for the response all of this info helps me i promise my next video will be slowed down and locked out .

Quads is still has a Powerlifitng envirement weather you can make it when the big names are there or not. I would recomend it.