The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If you don't like facial scars, carry around an axe, that's kind of intimidating. I have a pretty nice scar on my face from a dog that I don't think liked me very much. It's gotten a lot smaller/better looking since I got it, not even that noticeable anymore. My friends always used to say it's pretty badass. I guess it was a bit intimidating. Oh, wait. Scratch that thought.

-Pete (remembers he's 6'1'' @200)

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    None.

This thread's stupid and you shouldn't be working towards what's "intimidating".
    How is it a stupid thread? People work out for all different reasons. You ever stop and think maybe it's a little deeper than just the OP trying to get as many people as possible to think he's scary? Read any "why do you work out" thread and there's plenty of people who say "I want to get big to earn people's respect" which is basically Mr. Rogers talk for "I want to know that I can look intimidating."

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

I would say bigger always wins out until 20% bf or so. I hit 260+ @ 5'9" and looked more like a teddy bear than anything menacing.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    How is it a stupid thread? People work out for all different reasons. You ever stop and think maybe it's a little deeper than just the OP trying to get as many people as possible to think he's scary? Read any "why do you work out" thread and there's plenty of people who say "I want to get big to earn people's respect" which is basically Mr. Rogers talk for "I want to know that I can look intimidating."

Good point. I guess I originally looked at it in a different way.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Funny you should mention this.

Today I got fitted for my tux (my uncles wedding) and I needed a 54" jacket, 2X vest and 40" pants with size 13 shoes. For being about 5'9 I'd say I'm a pretty big guy. I'd estimate my weight at about 255 or so but I'm still pretty soft around the midsection if you know what I mean. Clothed I look pretty big, not really that fat.

So today I was at the bar during the penguins game watching with some friends and shooting pool. These guys start going nutso when it went into over time. A group of about 7 people I don't know were going wild, knocking each other down and carrying on. One guy runs up to me and tackles the guy next to me, then gives me a high five.

A drunk guy bumps into me and says sorry, I say no big deal and I walk away. A few min later he comes up to me making sure I wasn't upset, he said it looked like I had a "mean problem" with him lol. I was like no sir I'm not mad and he's like good... I didn't want trouble from you. Nothing ever happened though to remotely suggest I was going to do anything at all.

Looking big in clothes makes you intimidating, so you have to pull off the big but not fat/no so fat look. I can do that in clothes, without them I look like a teddy bear.

It's going to be hard to look intimidating at that height/weight though... you need to around 200+.

Their all just as intimidating because none of the physiques described are intimidating in and of themselves.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

Lol, this got taken out of context real quick. I was just seeing what I could try out for the hell of it, I've gotten a bit bored lately. The only reason I even brought intimidating up is for the fact that the kid said that I would look moreso if I had higher bodyfat. I'm the biggest guy at my job, that's at least healthy. I don't recall being 180 @ 7% and being 20 years old that bad at all. It was just interesting because I never looked at it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by wnt2gitswoll View Post
    Lol, this got taken out of context real quick. I was just seeing what I could try out for the hell of it, I've gotten a bit bored lately. The only reason I even brought intimidating up is for the fact that the kid said that I would look moreso if I had higher bodyfat. I'm the biggest guy at my job, that's at least healthy. I don't recall being 180 @ 7% and being 20 years old that bad at all. It was just interesting because I never looked at it that way.
    I'm going to be a prick and tell you the truth. 5'7'' will just not ever be intimidating to almost anyone. No matter how big you get.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

That's not being a prick, that's your honesty. Again, I don't care for intimidation I was just wondering about what physique would be more interesting but I'm just going to hit 200@10% and cut to 190. I've boxed for 7 years, I'm not an insecure 'short guy' by any means. Thanks for all the feedback though, I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyK View Post
    I'm going to be a prick and tell you the truth. 5'7'' will just not ever be intimidating to almost anyone. No matter how big you get.
    If 1970s Franco Columbo said he wanted to kick my ass, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be intimidated. And he was only 5'5.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

Work in Progress
    Quote Originally Posted by wnt2gitswoll View Post
    That's not being a prick, that's your honesty. Again, I don't care for intimidation I was just wondering about what physique would be more interesting but I'm just going to hit 200@10% and cut to 190. I've boxed for 7 years, I'm not an insecure 'short guy' by any means. Thanks for all the feedback though, I appreciate it.
    5'7", 220 lbs, 10% BF. Walk around holding something very heavy over your shoulder, with a pissed off face, while making menacing grunts.
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)