Thread: Squat form question

Wannabebig Member

Squat form question

Hey

I think i've pretty much got my squat form down (after 2 months lol) but i have a question. When performing a squat, should you try and ensure that the bar moves straight up and down. i.e. i visualise that im using a smith machine.

I find that if i lean forward a little bit at the bottom of a squat it helps me drive upwards - but sometimes this will also take the drive away from my heels.

Banned
    Yes, the bar should be moving vertically (or as close to as possible). As for the lean forward, that depends on how to you squat. A wide stance PL squat will have alot more lean that a deep Olympi squat. You sould be able to lean forward while maintaining heel drive. If you feel like you're loosing heel drive, try lifting up your big toe. This will force you back.

Your hips and the bar should move upward at the same time. You will lean forward a little bit at the bottom, that is just part of the motion, but you shouldn't be raising the weight by, as it is called, doing a good morning out of the hole.

I found myself to be just a little bit to inflexible to get deep enough without leaning forward too much so I stretched a little, backed off the weight a bit and perfected my form. The clue for me that something was wrong was my lower back was getting really sore after squats, ie too much "good morning out of the hole".

I get funny looks in the gym, but try squatting in just your socks (I'm too cheap to go buy a pair of converse shoes), I found that helped me a lot in staying back on my heels.

-Rob

Wannabebig Member
    thanks guys, really appreciate your answers. very clear

Interesting input. What if you have trouble going atg? I can get to parallel, but lower, I lose my balance or my form goes to crap. I used to put a 10# plate under each heel and that seemed to help, but that's near impossible with a large amount of weight. Any suggestions?
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    Interesting input. What if you have trouble going atg? I can get to parallel, but lower, I lose my balance or my form goes to crap. I used to put a 10# plate under each heel and that seemed to help, but that's near impossible with a large amount of weight. Any suggestions?
    Your hamstrings are lacking the flexibility, start stretching. There is nothing wrong with putting something under your heals but that does make your quads dominate the movement more.

Get a little more flexibility, it won't take much and my standard answer to squat form, widen your stance a bit.

Work in Progress
    Quote Originally Posted by MNRob View Post
    Your hamstrings are lacking the flexibility, start stretching. There is nothing wrong with putting something under your heals but that does make your quads dominate the movement more.

Get a little more flexibility, it won't take much and my standard answer to squat form, widen your stance a bit.
    Widening stance usually solves most problems.
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)

Maybe do some light weight SLDL's before squatting and then do more of a sumo squat? I don't know if I can get my heels up on any plates, I've been pushing 500+.
    Thanks, guys.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Maybe do some light weight SLDL's before squatting and then do more of a sumo squat? I don't know if I can get my heels up on any plates, I've been pushing 500+.
    Thanks, guys.
    Try taking off some the of weight and concentrate on going as low as possible with more control. Your legs will be as blitzed because of going much deeper.

500+ are heavy ass squats!! how many reps? 1 i hope

Banned
    Without a bar, try working yourself into the bottom of the squat position however necessary (ie get ion your knees if you have to) and hold that position for 15 or 20 seconds. Rins, repeat. Hold on to something if you don't have the balance to do it.
    You might also benefit from Olympic weightlifting shoes.

Also, if you're squatting 500+ you should know how to go ATG

I used to be able to go atg with 450+, but I don't seem to be able to any more. I did light squats today to work on my form. A 10# plate under each heel seemed to help. I'm going to start doing some hammie stretches 3-4 times a week at home and see if that helps. I also tried the wider stance, which helped a bit. I wear squat shoes, knee wraps and a good lifting belt when I go heavy. Today, it felt like my ankles and hips don't flex enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bendthe Bar View Post
    500+ are heavy ass squats!! how many reps? 1 i hope
    I got 545 for 6 reps to parallel on Monday. That's a butt-load of weight, but I'm going to lighten up and work on form.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

What if you have trouble going atg? I can get to parallel, but lower, I lose my balance or my form goes to crap.
    Check your ego, lower the weight and do them with correct form.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Perhaps you missed the other post from this morning. I did light squats (135#) and still couldn't get all the way down. I will gladly start over again with light weights, if I can get all the way down. I'm lacking flexibility. Not an ego issue.
    Last edited by rbtrout; 06-05-2008 at 09:48 AM.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench