Thread: I need a 3 month RAW cycle

I need a 3 month RAW cycle

To make a long story short, i have been training completely on bands, chains, tons of overload stuff, top end work, all training that a 1-2 ply lifter would be doing.

I had a RAW meet this sunday and i bombed out, struggling with a 550 deadlift and missing it after being redlighted for overshooting the down command, my max all time is 622.

I have a feeling my lower end on all lifts is shot, i need a 3 month RAW program because i dont even know what to do anymore for this because its been so long, im really frustrated after this meet, im also embarrassed because everyone remembered me breaking RI records all over the place in march.

Help?
    2000 or bust

You need to address the problem the same way you would with your equipped lifting. Figure out your weak points and strengthen them. If you're real weak at the bottom of lifts I would say your ME rotation should include lots of pin presses/squats, long pause presses/squats and the like. As for chains and bands, that's up to you. They are as applicable to raw lifting as much as equipped. Another thing would be to do your lifting raw. Stay out of the suits, briefs and shirts for a bit. Stick with just a belt and wraps.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Iron4Life
    Perhaps those heavy Squats w/bands and heavy rows just 4 days before the comp had an affect??
    Most of the Pro journals/recommendations seem to think you need 7-11 days rest for the DL and Squat...

that's crazy you failed at 550. Don't worry man, with a little effort you'll get it back!
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Creatine, Protein, Quality carbs...............

Wannabebig Member
    Rob, was that the raw tourny in warwick r.i.?

Bruteman is right. If you need more bottom end work, then do exactly that. I wouldn't quit the top end overload stuff that you do, it obviously works for you! Deadlifts off boards, paused squats, box squats, pausing all your bench work; these are a few things that have done wonders for me.

Bob has a point too... Heavy squats and rows 4 days before a contest? You should know better than that!!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

*cough* the wicked *cough* *cough* haha He'll have some valuable information here

Did you neglect to cycle in your straight weight into your max effort work?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Stump, just use the same training template but with raw movements. You can still do some board, chain, and box squat work etc., but make sure to cycle in full ROM movements into your ME rotation. You will be stronger than ever in short order. Trust me.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Stop using bands - problem solved.

I actually posted what I planned on doing in my training log at EFS. Check it out. It's 12 weeks and I KNOW it'll work because I wrote it.

You'll need to redo the numbers. I based this off a 700 pull, my best being 755. My thought process was to keep it realistic and never put myself in a position to fail.

HAHA Travis are you hinting at something?

standard westside template.. but don't do any additional work that's usually optional on the template. Find 4-5 good lifts you feel benefit y our bench press the most and just cycle them around every 4-5 weeks and retest.

the same goes with your accessory movements.. find things that you know help.. and stick with them! brd presses if you haven't done them for ME exercises, close grip inclines, inclines in general, close grip benches, etc.

for your back work..row row and more rowing... bent over barbell, dumbbell, chest supported, etc.

as far as delt work..i've found that your dlets get pretty damn obliterated when doing all this pressing anyway.. doing just laterals for delt work and face pulls with lighter weights is more than plenty!
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

oh yeah..drop those damn bands for awhile.. chains..all of it.. just use free weights when working raw for the most part. If you use bands alot not only is it hell on your CNS And connective tissue but your **** will freak the moment you get some heavier free weight down at the bottom. If you want lockout work..tha'ts what brds are for.

haha yeah I was. you've got a great deadlift bro. Deadlift ain't my specialty.

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

i don't know why but for some reason i thought he was asking about the bench press.. i don't know what thread i was reading but this wasn't it! LOL

go back to working with straight weight for awhile.. sldl's, sumos, rack pulls, good mornings both narrow and wide stance, pulls off a box, etc. I'd stay the hell away from chains or bands unless it's only on occassion! SGT.ROCK is the man when it comes to pulling... if you want to focus strictly on pulling, I'd say do all your ME exercises for lowerbody some sort of pulling movement and then on your DE days do some deadlift accessory work with light squats if you're like me and don't really care much about squatting anymore. What's your routine look like now anyway?

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    Hey Stump,

I lift Westside myself, but I know guys that have used this basic Raw routine from Sebastian Burns/Metal Militia with great success.
    I'll paste the details here:
    I think this may be what you're looking for:

Raw Bench Improvement Sebastian Burns

This was taken from a e mail I just sent to a friend.It will work for anyone wanting to get stronger raw or who is just starting out..you could throw some shirt benching in there after awhile and some boards but this is good for just getting started.

Bench press with regular wide grip
    6 sets 3 to 5 reps

Close Grip bench(Go one hand space in from regular grip)
    Pause the bar on the bottom for 2 full seconds
    6 sets 3 to 5 reps

Regular Grip Pause Bench
    6 Sets 3 to 5 reps

After this you could do 3 sets of Pulldowns and 3 sets of Rows for 3 to 4 sets also 3 to 4 sets of DB side raises.
    Do this workout for 3 months and keep track of your weights always trying to beat your last weeks weight.After 3 months take a few weeks away from benching and do more back and shoulder then go back and repeat the bench cycle.
    Try to make it all the way thru this workout it is the volume that will cause an increase in the bench.it may take 2 to 3 weeks to get used to the high volume but stick with it.

This workout will wonders for anyones raw bench. And like stated above after 3 or 4 weeks add in some 3 2 1 board. The only thing I would add is some front raises with the straight bar 3 sets.

A question that was asked: @Sebastian: What is meant by "6 Sets 3 to 5 reps"? Doing 6 hard sets in this repetition bracket or something like 3 sets working up to a 3RM + 3 sets working up to a 5RM?

usually working up thru submaximal weights. Finishing the last few sets with 1 to 3 RMs