The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Personal advice needed

Hello everyone,
    I recently decided i want to change my appearance rather drastically. For about two weeks now ive been doing some weight lifing exercises for beginners with the set of dumbells ive bought, but i feel as if im doing something wrong because not once have i actually had sore muscles on the next day. Any help you guys could give me would be extremely appreciated.
    I guess i should give some info about myself:
    Male
    16 years old
    weight: 66kg
    height: 1.78 metres
    fat % : 16%
    NOTE: Stopped playing tennis and basketball two years ago, havent practised sports since.
    My goal is to have lost at least 6% fat and gained as much muscle as i possibly can from now until september.
    In two weeks, when i have more time on my hands, i will start to jog every two days to lose my slight overweight. Right now im doing some abs excercises and chest excersices with my dumbells but i doubt its having much of an impact. I do the following excercises :
    -bicep curls
    -lateral raising [shoulders]
    -chest flies
    -while on the ground, training triceps with a homemade excercise [arms close to body and just press the dumbells upwards]
    -the neck training thing, whatever it is called
    Im using 4KG dumbells for all the excercises right now, and i think i could do bicep curls with 6.
    Any help on how much weight to use/excercises i forgot about/amount of reps/sets etc, would be immensely appreciated.
    Sure hope this extremely long post doesnt annoy anyone ^^

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    no wonder your not feeling sore your dumbbells are 4kg !!!! thats like 9 pounds for americans. No offense, but thats pretty bad. chuck the dumbbells join a gym
    Love your friends, love your family, crush enemies when they've gone too far. At the end of it, make something that you can smile big about when you're about to enter that tunnel. - wnt2gitswull

soreness isn't necessarily an indication of muscle growth.

And the above poster is right, weights are too light, and please tell me you're doing more than just dumbbell curls (yes, I only skimmed your post)

I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but, changing your appearance "drastically" between now and September isn't very likely to happen. Read the stickies. You're not going to get down to 6% bodyfat in that time and be able to gain any muscle. In fact you'll lose a ton of muscle, unless you have some kind of bizarre surgery. Like I said, read the stickies, read other threads, then change your goal.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

He wants to drop 6% BF. In other words, he wants to be 10%. So basically you have to lose about 10lbs. It's very doable but that would put you at less than 5'10'' and under 140lbs.

You're not going to get where you want to be with those pansy-ass dumbbells and routine. Join a gym and start doing Rippetoe's Starting Strength. If you are really set on dropping the weight, join www.fitday.com and track your calories. Lower them until you start losing about 1lb a week.

If I were in your shoes, I would just straighten up my diet. Cut out all empty calories - that means pop, juice, and all processed carbs. Every time you eat, make sure you have a significant source of protein.

Oops yeah I misread that. Losing 10 lbs is definitely doable. I'm kind of curious why you want to do this though...Is it to look better? Because I can say from personal experience, 5'10" @ 140 lbs isn't very satisfying. But I guess is it's for wrestling or something, then it's legit.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

Wannabebig Member
    Basically i look fat right now and to me thats just inacceptable.
    In any case i thank you for your advice and ill try to do some lifting with 6kg.
    First thing im gonna do is completely stop eating anything unhealthy. Ive been letting myself go lately but i have the willpower to change that. And, perhaps i should indeed join a gym.
    Thanks everyone
    PS: we had our body fat % etc measured in school, and some of my friends with >10% BF look pretty good. As long as you have some muscles being low fat is just good or am i completely wrong?
    Last edited by Anathema; 06-04-2008 at 12:22 PM.

6kg isn't going to cut it either. You need to work your way up to hundreds of pounds.

What looks good is very subjective. If getting down to a low body fat is what's important to you and you think you look good like that, that's all that matters.

Wannabebig Member
    Well, ive just tried with 6, and thats good, but i think for me, as a beginner, i shouldnt start off with more than 6 instantly. Shouldnt i be training my way up rather than starting off with 10 and twisting a muscle?

Banned
    Squat, deadlift, row, press, bench, dip, chin and lunge with as heavy weight as possible -- you should be barely able to get out 6-8 reps with good form. Try this. Eat. Sleep. Post pics in 1 year.

While alot of info is available for free on the net I'd suggest you pick up a copy of Brawn by Stuart McRobert.

A book I wish I read when I was just starting out..
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

If you can only squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press and row 6kg, you have bigger problems than a little fat.

Your exercise selection is terrible. Focus on the heavy compounds. You should definitely work your way up, but you're never going to get strong using 6kgs.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 06-04-2008 at 01:35 PM.

what is 66 kg metric? 140 lb imperial or something? no offense, but you shouldnt be worrying about cutting down and looking better at the moment dude. 5'10 140 is pretty small... and like everyones said, you arent gonna get big with those exercises your doing, especially with 10 lb dumbbells. if its possible, buy yourself a power rack and 200lb of plates, or join a gym. everyones here to help and this is a great community, but you must listen, especially when your starting. (not saying you dont listen, just thought id throw it out there)
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks again everyone
    About the book.. is it Beyond Brawn the author you said? If so i can get my hands on a copy

Wannabebig Member
    Little update here: Because of your advice i tried to bench press 20kg [50lbs],
    appearently i need more weight as i can do that about 15 times/set. Guess ill be joining a gym then
    Last edited by Anathema; 06-07-2008 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anathema View Post
    Little update here: Because of your advice i tried to bench press 20kg [50lbs],
    appearently i need more weight as i can do that about 15 times/set. Guess ill be joining a gym then
    Good to hear. If you put your pride aside and just listen to what the people on this site say, much of it will be beneficial, and the BS will be called out by others so you won't have to worry about that too much.

Good stuff, Anathema. Good luck with your progress.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks
    At this moment pretty much all i can do are bench presses and chest flies because of a rather annoying pain just below my right shoulder-blade. Have no idea what caused it as i havent really done anything that targets that area(i think). Another positive thing is that i lost 0.6kg since yesterday

You can still squat and deadlift, can't you? Do that. How about overhead press and rows?

Another little piece of advice, don't fixate on day-to-day changes, focus on long-term trends. It's great that you lost 0.6kg since yesterday, but weight fluctuates all the time. My weight can fluctuate up to 8lbs in one day.

Wannabebig Member
    All of those are impossible today, too painful. Hope its better tomorrow.

Wannabebig Member
    So, another minor update here, ive decided to Not do any squats/deadlifts/anything for which you should preferably have a barbell at hand. I do not have one and i dont want to learn to do those exercises without proper form. For another week or so i have exams so until those are over im basically doing this daily:
    -4x8 50lbs bench presses -slowly and properly
    -4x8 40lbs bicep curls - 40 in total, sadly, not per arm hehe
    -4x8 25lbs standard rows - in this case its per arm [mainly seem to feel those in my triceps though]
    -some ab crunches
    -lunges - not really counting, just do as many as i can with 50lbs
    Any suggestions?
    PS I take two minutes rest between sets, dunno if thats any good either
    Last edited by Anathema; 06-13-2008 at 08:32 AM.

i hope you doing the same amount of weight for each arm...

join the gym.. i wish i had earlier...
    Last edited by Insane; 06-13-2008 at 06:21 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Well of course im using the same weight for each arm
    And yes i am going to join a gym when school is over, seemed rather pointles to me to join it during the exams.

dont waste time on 'bicep curls'. replace them with overhead tricep extensions. thats a tricep isolation, so shouldnt hurt your shoulder anyhow. trust me, 3 years down the road youll look back and say 'why did i EVER curl?'
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Wannabebig Member
    Well, all right, but then i dont really train my biceps at all. Does that matter?