Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ME Bench 6.6.08 - and 4brd for Ryan Celli

ME Bench 6.6.08 - and 4brd for Ryan Celli

Today we did 1brd work with 200lbs of chain. Some of the chain was on the ground though so we'll call it 150lbs. First set is with 585lbs bar weight, second set is with 635lbs bar weight.

4brd sets are with the same chain weight and sets go 495 and 525.

Video

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Great Work as usual Travis Bell
    Best Raw Squatter and Sponsored by the Best AtLarge Nutrition, Titan, and APT.

Great work! I will say that the 4 board stikes me as almost being too limited of a ROM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I agree with Chris but it is great for that tricep work.
    Best Raw Squatter and Sponsored by the Best AtLarge Nutrition, Titan, and APT.

Thanks guys!

the 4brd for me is right where I've been slowing down lately in the shirt. Its not a movement I'd make a regular staple in my benching for that very reason, its such a limited range of motion that Id end up going too heavy on it. But for every now and then its a pretty productive exercise for the lockout.

Plus I had to find something that Ryan and I could compete on this week! haha. He hasn't done 4brd in quite awhile either though so I'm sure his is right up there.

Yep, I understand.

Good stuff with you and Ryan!

Awesome work Travis You all use a lot of chain i see for max effort day are you planning any meets currently? and i remember you saying that you are at a university gym so i assume your in college currently i was just wondering do you still get to Westside much or do you still speak to louie and get tips like on the phone Good work out Travis That was some sick Pressing the more i watch your videos the more i learn from what you were saying about proper form

What I've found with the tension weight is that its a ton easier to overload my system, without using the actual weight if that makes sense. I'll go back to straight weight next week. My next meet will be in August at the ProAm.

Thats actually a gym in Michigan. I'm home for the summer. some of my videos from last fall were at the university gym, but after last fall I went back to going to Westside every week. Sometimes two or three times a week. When I have to I lift at my undergrad gym because the gym at the grad school I attend is a joke. The basketball team is their claim to fame so all the basketball players are idiots

Banned
    So, if I read that right you used less weight on the 4 board than the full range? Was that just because there was less shirt at the top?

well it was raw so I used whatever weight I could get for a max single off the 4brd. but yes, there is less shirt at the top so thats why I was working that range of motion
    Last edited by Travis Bell; 06-07-2008 at 10:21 AM.

UPA Lousiana Chairman Eric Downey's Avatar
    Great work Travis. Lockout looks powerful
    CLASH FOR CASH RAW504 SEPT. 11, 2010 KENNER, LA CLICK FOR INFO
    Eric "BIG EZY" Downey
    RAW BENCH BEST: 523 Raw Unity 2010
    RAW UNITY VID
    RAW TOTAL BEST:534.5 - 507 - 556.5 1598 APA Raw Nationals 2010
    534 SQUAT
    507 BENCH
    556 DEADLIFT
    Facebook YOUTUBE

Super Ectomorph on Crack Justin Ryan's Avatar
    Great lifts! looks good Travis & Ryan

Wannabebig Member
    Travis,

I tried sending you a PM, Where are you staying at MI. If you ever get in the south east side of MI, come check out Detroit Barbell.

JJ Thomas

I PMed you back bro, but maybe it didn't go through. I live in Traverse City so unfortunatly I'm about 4hrs away. Thanks for the invite though! I will definatly keep it in mind if I end up in that part of the state for whatever reason.

Hey Travis, where in Michigan are you? I'm in Sarnia ON (boder town with Port Huron). Any chance I'd be able to come down for a bench workout some time?

I'm about 4hrs north of you bro, but you are more than welcome to come and train with me any time you like. We always like to have more guys around.

I might however recommend Detroit Barbell, they have a great club (John Zemmin, Clay Brandenburg to name a couple) and are really close to you so you might be able to train with them more often but get ahold of me anytime you want to come up to Traverse City

Wannabebig Member
    Cricket,

We're about an hour or so from you. We have a couple come from that way on Sunday mornings. Give me a call if you are interested. 734-642-7877, JJ

JJ..are you on every powerlifting board on the internet? lol How is everything going up there?

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas View Post
    Cricket,

We're about an hour or so from you. We have a couple come from that way on Sunday mornings. Give me a call if you are interested. 734-642-7877, JJ
    Hey JJ. I actually competed at your gym in December. I was the Canadian kid if you remember haha (did Ironman). I'll deffinatly try and make it down really soon though; I can use all the help I can get on my bench haha

Thanks guys

Banned
    Awesome work Travis - I'm going to have to try some of the chain work with the shirt on after the meet.

Actually Ben, the more I think about it I think that would be very beneficial for you. Try bands as well. some heavy band tension will help you drop the bar down faster

oh and this was last weeks vid, stay tuned for this weeks, I changed to benching on Saturday in my shirt

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Actually Ben, the more I think about it I think that would be very beneficial for you. Try bands as well. some heavy band tension will help you drop the bar down faster
    Good point - thanks man!

this is a question, so please do not misinterpret my writting........

I have not understood why people use chains for 4 board and up exercises. I just don't see how it's beneficial considering the bar moves from at most 4", this allows only a fraction of the chain to deload, at most 15-20lbs of deload. So, my question is why? is it for stability purposes? We never use chain on high board work, but lots of bands, if I am missing something here and it's very productive work, I'd like to know the reasons and perhaps justify using them?

If it's a simple answer, great. But if it demands elaborating on the subject, I'll thank you in advance, but at your convenience I would love to hear your or anyone's thoughts on this.....

thanks
    Proudly sponsored:
    EliteFTS - APT Pro Straps - Spud Inc. - LG Sciences

No super duper benefit. We had em' on there for the main ME exercise so we just left them there. It does help develop stability a little more but not in a huge way. When we were switching to the 4brd, I just said whatever, leave them, not gonna hurt anything.

Next training cycle will have alot more straight weight in it. The overloads provided by the tension weight was fine, but by the end of the cycle I was pretty beat up. Instead though of backing off and going raw, I've decided to take a week of doubles in the shirt with straight weight. Then I'll go back to 1brd and the third week I'll play by ear, might be raw, might be chest we'll see.