Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: video footage of todays squat session

video footage of todays squat session *UPDATED 6-11*

Video

trying to break in my new suit, this was my 3rd time in it with the straps down. the lifts were all pretty ugly. the 545 was decent, but still high. the more times im in the suit the lower the squats get, though. i guess that gives me something to work for!

i'm just kind of proud of the video haha

comments, as always, are appreciated.
    Last edited by Lones Green; 06-11-2008 at 01:32 PM.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

you're leaning over too far. Sit back into the suit and you'll find that depth better. Good work bro!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

you are definetely right travis, thats my biggest problem. when i don't hit depth when descending, i lean forward to try to get deeper - when in reality when you lean over it just makes your posterior shoot up.

the 545 was the cleanest of them, i did a pretty good job staying upright. the suit is getting broken in pretty well, i just need to sit back a bit more and i should be good.

thanks for the input bro.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

You are very close to depth. Good work! Oh, and what Travis said.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    I can't tell on the last ones but your belt moved a ton on the first rep in that video. Are you pushing your abs out or tightening it enough?

I'M SO GLAD YOU POSTED THIS VIDEO! THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT MY FORM LOOKS LIKE AND MY BACK IS DAMN NEAR PARALLEL AT THE BOTTOM OF MY SQUAT!

HOW CAN HE AND I FIX THIS PROBLEM? The idea of sitting back would make you feel like you're falling backward won't it? How do you keep from falling backward on your squat when you sit back?
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

chris- thanks for the kind words buddy.

reko- it was just in the first set. my belt has a tendancy to do slip upwards. i have no hips, so its hard for me to find the sweet spot for placement. it takes me awhile at the beginning of each session, but i found the right place after that set. thanks.

wicked- leaning forward is a pretty common problem. it has a lot to do with body type, and just a mental block for me. i get to a point where my belly and legs meet, and i almost just come to a stop. with gear it makes it even harder to break, so i try to lean forward subconciously to reach depth; when in reality, it just makes your posterior shoot upwards.

the only thing i know is to practice form a lot, i do it all day long without weight on my back. i need a box a bit higher than that, because once i hit the box i sit way back on it. its just getting to it is my problem. i would THINK a stronger low back might help this, but i'm not sure.

if anyone has any advice or exercises for prevention of leaning forward in the squat, please post them!!!!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

APT Sponsored Lifter Jason Pegg's Avatar
    A few things:

You are sitting down first, not back. This is helping you piss away the arch in your upper back and lean forward. This happened every set. This is also keeping you from sitting back in the suit. This in turn causes you to try to force depth and, in your case, lean over.

Try moving your grip in on the bar. If it hurts your shoulders/elbows, wrap your pinky UNDER the bar. Honestly, you should do this anyway, IMHO. Make sure you are pulling your elbows down hard. Yours tend to flare up and back which means your back isnt tight as it should be.

In the 495 set, you have no arch in your back at all. When you unrack the bar, you will see your hips shoot forward under the bar. If you were arched properly, your whole body would rise as a unit as the bar came off of the hooks. An easy fix for this is to setr the arch in your back, and then think of "spreading the floor" versus standing up with the weight. This is a HUGE problem we have when guys start squatting out of a monolift. Once remedied though, EVERY person has commented how much easier weights are unracked and squatted. A proper arch in your upper AND lower back is essential to a big squat.

It seems to me like you are looking for the box as well. DONT DO IT! LOL. The box wont move out from under you. I promise Just keep setting back, not down, until you make contact with the box. This will help reinforce the sitting back the whole time concept, which helps with a bunch of things we just discussed.

Also, Im not trying to be hyper-critical of you here. These are just some easy things to fix that will help your squat immensely. Once you get it right, you will be amazed at how differently weights feel. If you want I will check out the vids again later to see if there is other stuff, but this is all Ive got for right now

Jason

well for thewicked, I know its not because his back is weak haha. What kind of ab work are you guys doing? Leaning forward can be from insufficient or unbalanced core, or it can just be that the person needs to stay more upright. haha sometimes its just that simple. I'm definatly not the squat tech on this board though so wait for AJ or KingKong or Chris Rogers to chime in

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    well, this may be counter productive to pl squatting but have you tried a higher bar placement?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Pegg View Post
    A few things:

You are sitting down first, not back. This is helping you piss away the arch in your upper back and lean forward. This happened every set. This is also keeping you from sitting back in the suit. This in turn causes you to try to force depth and, in your case, lean over.

Try moving your grip in on the bar. If it hurts your shoulders/elbows, wrap your pinky UNDER the bar. Honestly, you should do this anyway, IMHO. Make sure you are pulling your elbows down hard. Yours tend to flare up and back which means your back isnt tight as it should be.

In the 495 set, you have no arch in your back at all. When you unrack the bar, you will see your hips shoot forward under the bar. If you were arched properly, your whole body would rise as a unit as the bar came off of the hooks. An easy fix for this is to setr the arch in your back, and then think of "spreading the floor" versus standing up with the weight. This is a HUGE problem we have when guys start squatting out of a monolift. Once remedied though, EVERY person has commented how much easier weights are unracked and squatted. A proper arch in your upper AND lower back is essential to a big squat.

It seems to me like you are looking for the box as well. DONT DO IT! LOL. The box wont move out from under you. I promise Just keep setting back, not down, until you make contact with the box. This will help reinforce the sitting back the whole time concept, which helps with a bunch of things we just discussed.

Also, Im not trying to be hyper-critical of you here. These are just some easy things to fix that will help your squat immensely. Once you get it right, you will be amazed at how differently weights feel. If you want I will check out the vids again later to see if there is other stuff, but this is all Ive got for right now

Jason
    thanks man. i will take in consideration these comments and i will post video next week.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    nice work man, keep it up and you'll have that suit figured out in no time

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    Video

trying to break in my new suit, this was my 3rd time in it with the straps down. the lifts were all pretty ugly. the 545 was decent, but still high. the more times im in the suit the lower the squats get, though. i guess that gives me something to work for!

i'm just kind of proud of the video haha

comments, as always, are appreciated.
    Great job

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
    GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

Banned
    . A proper arch in your upper AND lower back is essential to a big squat.
    not really, i have squatted alot more in gear arch-less
    Last edited by strongkid963; 06-09-2008 at 07:37 AM.

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    A few things:

Y If you were arched properly, your whole body would rise as a unit as the bar came off of the hooks. An easy fix for this is to set the arch in your back, and then think of "spreading the floor" versus standing up with the weight.
    Jason

Jason, this is very interesting, but I'm not quite sure if I understand what you're saying exactly, but I want to. Could you explain it in dumbass terms for me? Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HP666 View Post
    Jason, this is very interesting, but I'm not quite sure if I understand what you're saying exactly, but I want to. Could you explain it in dumbass terms for me? Thanks!!!
    HAHA

thanks for the comments guys. i'll post more vids next sunday and see if my form is better. like i said, i haven't been in a gym with guys screaming at me for leaning forward in awhile. and walking the weight out just kind of kills it for me
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Jason has given you some solid advice bro. Apply what he has told you and you'll be surprised at the difference it will make.

When you planning on taking a trip over this way?

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Roberts View Post
    Jason has given you some solid advice bro. Apply what he has told you and you'll be surprised at the difference it will make.

When you planning on taking a trip over this way?
    i plan on taking his advice. its the same stuff i keep getting told, i just need to break these habits!!!!

i left you a post in your log about coming up.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    Get outside of that rack and put your feet a little wider. You'll be surprised at how much easier the knees can be pushed out.

Other than that, don't fight the suit to get depth at this point. Add weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Get outside of that rack and put your feet a little wider. You'll be surprised at how much easier the knees can be pushed out.

Other than that, don't fight the suit to get depth at this point. Add weight.
    i'm thinking about walking the weight all the way out of the rack next week.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    you're leaning over too far. Sit back into the suit and you'll find that depth better. Good work bro!
    Well I agree with Travis because its almost a Good Morning. I can tell you keep your head and sit back into the gear. When I started breaking in my Briefs I stay upright as possible sitting back.
    Best Raw Squatter and Sponsored by the Best AtLarge Nutrition, Titan, and APT.

STRENGTH FROM ABOVE
    u are definately very strong,,i do agree though that you need to sit back first(breaking at your hips should be the 1st thing you do...God bless

in His grip forever
    john
    Jeremiah 20:9
    But if I say, "I will not mention him or speak any more in his name," his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.

Sponsored by INZER

thanks KING KONG and john bernor. i feel lucky to have you guys comment my video, and i hope you'll check em out next week to see if i've improved any.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

APT Sponsored Lifter Jason Pegg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HP666 View Post
    Honestly, it is "squatting" the weight up versus "quadding" the weight up. The easiest way to think of it is as if you are correctly squatting the weight, by pushing your knees out, versus trying to merely stand up with the weight. I cant find a good side vid though for squatting the weight up, but, watch Sams hips/groin in this vid. It moves forwardas he comes out of the rack, but the angle doesnt change, because his back is arched tight, and he is pushing out.

Squatting the weight up:
    Video

Quadding the weight up:
    Video

You can see Mikes hips rotate forward as he quads the weight out of the rack, which destroys the arch in his back, and he loses the weight forward out of the bottom. Weve got him straightened out now though. Yes he trains with me I hope this helps clear it up a bit. If not, let me know, and I will try to go deeper with it.

Jason
    Last edited by Jason Pegg; 06-10-2008 at 08:24 PM.

Banned
    That's an awesome explanation Jason - thanks for that.