The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Cardio=fat loss right?

If I did an hour of cardio a day, pus a nice lifting schedule and a good meal plan...the weight should be coming off steady right?
    WHEN LIFE ****S YOU IN THE ASS, YOU GOTTA JUST TURN IT AROUND AND **** IT RIGHT BACK!!!!!! - ME

I am a fatass thank you very much! LOL

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If everything else is in good standing, you probably don't need an hour every day.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

The Chicken Mr'ga
    if you have a good diet you should be right with doin cardio 3 times a week
    For every $1 you donate to the "buy Lude more weight plates foundation", you will help add 1kg to my 1RM.

<spam> Journal </spam>

Current Stats: 85kg @ 13.6%
    Goal: 87-88kg @ 8-9%
    Goal Due Date: 1/12/05

Ok , thanx

How long should I be doing cardio?
    WHEN LIFE ****S YOU IN THE ASS, YOU GOTTA JUST TURN IT AROUND AND **** IT RIGHT BACK!!!!!! - ME

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

Well, depends who you ask. People will recommend any where from 10 minutes to 60 minutes. I'd recommend 15-30 minutes, but it really depends on how much of a deficit you want to make. Keep in mind that losing too quickly isn't necessarily good in the long run.

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    if u do both cardio and lift on the same day, u shouldn't, but if u do, then keep them about 6-12 hours apart (one at morning, another at nite). if u do do them too close together, it's too exhausting
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

Wannabebig Member
    In general, I don't do moderate intensity cardio. Keep it high, just a few minutes of sprints or do low intensity where you barely build up a sweat. Either way you are not likely to burn muscle but fat instead.

I'm starting to like the short high intensity cardio better. Before I used to live on cardio machines somedays it seemed. I honestly get so bored after 30mins, plus one of my feet is half numb.
    I like doing say 15 mins as hard as I can. That way it's quick but still efficient. And I can always do it twice a day.

splitting up that hour to 2 or 3 times a day would work great.
    " Eat to grow, Progression to get stronger " - mesmall

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    cardio+weights in same session = bad stuff for heart.

Originally posted by Accipiter
    Says who?
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Accipiter seems to be making up a lot of facts recently.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

3:16
    I read the article posted in here or another forum a while ago about cardio and weights equal a bad heart.

i did not believe it. Its one of those whey their data is not always reliable.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

but not that small either
    I do cardio 4 times a week. I get on a treadmill, set it on an incline, and barely move for 40 minutes, but it gets my heart rate to 60% of my max, or so. That along with dieting, and in 3 weeks, I've slowly been losing, lost about a pound a week, which is my goal, while maintaining as much muscle mass as I can.
    Last edited by notSoBig Guy; 03-24-2002 at 01:21 PM.
    "Lord knows that one would be foolish not to listen to guys hiding behind a computer that use more gear than a stable of race-horses and all they have to show for it is a 195lb. piss-poor physique shriveled nuts and a nice case of gyno" - Lee Priest

the pie lover!
    ok, quick question, i want to gain alot of muscle but i also want to drop body fat. i train for an hour, three times a week. i was planning on going to the gym once a week and doing half hour of cardio ... is that enough or should it be more ... remember i want to put on quite alot of muscle mass
    pie?, yeah i like pie...

whatever you do, do not click here

so an hour a day is insufficent?

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

but not that small either
    Gaining muscle while shedding fat is possible but difficult. I'd focus more on your eating rather than cardio. Personally, I'm
    either bulking or cutting.
    "Lord knows that one would be foolish not to listen to guys hiding behind a computer that use more gear than a stable of race-horses and all they have to show for it is a 195lb. piss-poor physique shriveled nuts and a nice case of gyno" - Lee Priest

I am not worried about muscle to much right now, i want to loose the fat.

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

Celes, focus on cardio but don't neglect lifting. Since you more concerned with burning fat than building muscle right now you can do a lot of cardio. If you can maintain an hour of low to moderate intensity cardio 4-6 days a week without burning out than go ahead. But lift 3 days a week too.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

cardio and weights bad for the heart? WTF!?! Thats probably the most retarded thing I have ever heard in my life!!! Working your heart is great for the heart FYI: Your heart is a muscle.

"so an hour a day is insufficent?"

Way more than sufficient. On the verge of being too much, unless your an endurance athlete training for a competition.

If all you want is fat loss, get your diet in order (doesn't have to be perfect, but it does have to be consistent), get a good weight training program going, and do a moderate amount of cardio (15-30 minutes at 3 times a week is probably fine).

I should add, the reason why I wouldn't focus purely on cardio is because it won't really teach you a balance between diet, weights, and cardio (which will be important for long term health).
    Last edited by Anthony; 03-25-2002 at 08:52 AM.

Originally posted by Accipiter
    *** Pure nonsense.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo