Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting my bench up to 315

Getting my bench up to 315

I'm kinda embaressed posting this (I know everyone's lifts are way better than mine).. but help would be great.

Recently I reached a PR of 235 on the BP. It was the first time ever I was able to do two 45s on each side. I then added 10 lbs and lifted it successfully.

Now my goal is three 45s on each side. The routine I did to get this PR was I would do 6-8 reps. Once I could do 8 reps with the weight, I would increase it to a weight I could only do for 6 reps. Rinse and repeat.

I know change in routine is important to increase strength. Could someone come up with a new routine to help my bench keep increasing? I'm 5'11" 195 pounds.

Hey Bro, first thing off you got nothing to be embaressed about!

If your tryin to increase Strength dont do more them 5 Reps, over 5 and your working for more size. also dont stretch out your chest and triceps, if you want to warm up your shoulders the grab the 10lbs DD and do some side/front/shouler Presses, curls, to warm-up yor shoulders and arms.

If you one rep max is 235 then this is what I would do

Bench
    95x2x5-10 - Just a Nice Warm-Up
    135x5
    165x2x5

Each Week I would add 5-10lbs the the Work Weight. I understand that the first few week might be really easy but this is going to help build up your base strength!

Also hit 2 more chest exercises for 3 sets of 5-7 reps!! Good Luck Brother!!!
    Ain't Nothin 2 It But 2 Do It!
    BPM Osgood
    605@178
    www.myspace.com/bpmosgood

I would also recommend having someone look at your form/technique. I really had crappy gym rat form before I went to westside, and just by getting set up tighter and changing my bar path my bench started going up really fast. You could also look at Wolfe's top ten tips for a big bench and Halbert's top 5 on the AtLarge site.

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    DUDE, don't be embarrassed, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. That's why we're here, to help each other. ****, there's guys here, like BPM for instance, who I outweigh by 150 lbs, but he can out bench me. Am I embarrassed? Not at all. Annoyed and unsatisfied, absolutely, but that just drives me to work harder. There are a ton of great benchers on here and you'll get plenty of good advice.

i assume this is raw benching were talking about here. what other lifts do you do for chest, triceps, and shoulders?

Quote Originally Posted by jtteg_x View Post
    i assume this is raw benching were talking about here. what other lifts do you do for chest, triceps, and shoulders?
    100% raw.

I usually do 6 sets of BB bench press, 2 sets of dips, and 2 sets of DB press.

For triceps I do about 5 sets of CGBP. I don't train shoulders but will if it can help my bench.

I'd also like to get mine up there. Last year at this time I couldn't even max at 185lbs. As of a few weeks ago I hit 240lbs and since then I'm adding weight to my 5x5 every other week. On Monday I did a 5x5 with 215lbs and got four sets of 5 and the last set I managed 4. Next week I should easily get all 5 reps in all 5 sets, and then I'll be repping 220lbs. In late December of last year, my max bench was around 225lbs. So in 6 months (with weeks of breaks thrown in, and actually losing weight/having to take weight off my bench and work back up) I'm going to be repping my old max. I don't know if that's good or not, but my bench was always my weakest lift.

I guess my point is, 5x5 works wonders.

I'm curious as to what you rep in your workouts though, I've always wondered if my max efforts sucked because it seems I can rep almost 90% of my max at least 7 times, but my max is still low.
    Last edited by berfles; 06-11-2008 at 03:55 PM.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

Quote Originally Posted by berfles View Post
    I'd also like to get mine up there. Last year at this time I couldn't even max at 185lbs. As of a few weeks ago I hit 240lbs and since then I'm adding weight to my 5x5 every other week. On Monday I did a 5x5 with 215lbs and got four sets of 5 and the last set I managed 4. Next week I should easily get all 5 reps in all 5 sets, and then I'll be repping 220lbs. In late December of last year, my max bench was around 225lbs. So in 6 months (with weeks of breaks thrown in, and actually losing weight/having to take weight off my bench and work back up) I'm going to be repping my old max. I don't know if that's good or not, but my bench was always my weakest lift.

I guess my point is, 5x5 works wonders.

I'm curious as to what you rep in your workouts though, I've always wondered if my max efforts sucked because it seems I can rep almost 90% of my max at least 7 times, but my max is still low.

Sounds like you have a high percentage of slow twitch musle.

lol have wolfe give you his pimp hand!!!
    You cant buy strength, but you sure as hell can work for it

Quote Originally Posted by Darracq View Post
    Sounds like you have a high percentage of slow twitch musle.
    Yeah that's what I was thinking, I wonder what my 1RM would be if I had a higher fast twitch count.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

UPA Lousiana Chairman Eric Downey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NickW View Post
    I would also recommend having someone look at your form/technique. I really had crappy gym rat form before I went to westside, and just by getting set up tighter and changing my bar path my bench started going up really fast. You could also look at Wolfe's top ten tips for a big bench and Halbert's top 5 on the AtLarge site.
    Nick has a hugh point. Form and tech is a big part of it. A guy I train with at work had this problem. When i started my new job 2 months ago he was benching 265. From some better training and changing his bodybuilder form to a good arch, elbows tucked. Now he is about 320. Last night in his new titan f6 he hit a big pr of 460 from a 1 brd. post some vids so we can see it.
    CLASH FOR CASH RAW504 SEPT. 11, 2010 KENNER, LA CLICK FOR INFO
    Eric "BIG EZY" Downey
    RAW BENCH BEST: 523 Raw Unity 2010
    RAW UNITY VID
    RAW TOTAL BEST:534.5 - 507 - 556.5 1598 APA Raw Nationals 2010
    534 SQUAT
    507 BENCH
    556 DEADLIFT
    Facebook YOUTUBE

can't help but agree with working on your form. Have someone teach you how to properly bench will typically add anywhere from 10 to sometimes as much as 40lbs to a bench press right off the bat! I see it time and time again coaching clients all day long.

remember too when your triceps, delts, back, core, legs, etc... all get stronger, so does your bench! And yes they're all included in the bench press!
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mission View Post
    100% raw.

I usually do 6 sets of BB bench press, 2 sets of dips, and 2 sets of DB press.

For triceps I do about 5 sets of CGBP. I don't train shoulders but will if it can help my bench.
    Going heavy should help quite a bit. I would start the following:

Main Exercise - Pick 3 or 4 different pressing movements and rotate each bench workout. Work up to a max single or double. I do BP with bands, Floor Press, 3 board press with bands. I will substitue high rep DB press occasionally.

Barbell Tricep - Work up to a 2 to 6 rep max. I do close grip BP or JM presses. I would stick to pressing movements so you can go heavy without damage to your elbows. Skip extensions.

DB Tricep - I like to go heavy on these as well but you could also do 3 or 4 sets of 6 to 8 if you like higher reps. I do Tate Presses or DB tricep extensions. The extensions are really more a press. Seach YouTube for the Westside videos to see this done. Again, extensions are going to be hard on your elbows.

Back - I would recommend heavy chest supported rows. My absolute favorite. You can also do DB rows or Bentover Rows. Don't bother with lat PDs or seated cable rows. I like pull-ups but don't think they work as good as heavy rows. Do 3 to 4 sets of 4 to 8 reps.

Upper Back and Shoulders - I like to go a bit lighter here. I do H-Rolls, Seated DB cleans, and Military Press with Kettlebells. Hold them upside down so the bells are pointing toward the ceiling. Works your entie upperback and your grip. Stay away from reverse flys, side raises, front raises, face pulls, or upright rows for shoulder and elbow longevity. Do 4 sets of 8 to 12.

General - You need to work your back shoulders and triceps. I like doing dips but don't feel the add anything to your bench.

I am certainly no expert but have tried a lot of different things in order to find productive programs and exercises that are easy on my surgically repaired shoulder and elbows. The same concepts should help others avoid the injuries in the first place.

Wannabebig Member
    you could also try something like the buckeye program and there are some PL cycles out there for your bench, go to the 100% RAW forum and do a search you should find what you need.

Today I did 240.

Banned
    Yeah that's what I was thinking, I wonder what my 1RM would be if I had a higher fast twitch count.
    Maybe you jsut need more epxerience with the heavy weight? You are doing a 5x5 so your body is used to cranking out reps as oppsed to going all out on one, so maybe its just a little getting used to.

Today I did 240.
    Nice job, man!

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    I'm kinda embaressed posting this (I know everyone's lifts are way better than mine).. but help would be great.

Recently I reached a PR of 235 on the BP. It was the first time ever I was able to do two 45s on each side. I then added 10 lbs and lifted it successfully.

Now my goal is three 45s on each side. The routine I did to get this PR was I would do 6-8 reps. Once I could do 8 reps with the weight, I would increase it to a weight I could only do for 6 reps. Rinse and repeat.

I know change in routine is important to increase strength. Could someone come up with a new routine to help my bench keep increasing? I'm 5'11" 195 pounds.
    Congratulations on your 235 bench press pr Also, never be ashamed of your accomplishment. You'll get a lot help/support from this great training forum.

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
    GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    Maybe you jsut need more epxerience with the heavy weight? You are doing a 5x5 so your body is used to cranking out reps as oppsed to going all out on one, so maybe its just a little getting used to.
    Not sure, I really don't max out that often because it's kind of a waste of a day for me, I can't do it on my chest day because that would ruin the whole workout so I usually do it at the end of the week if I feel like hitting my triceps more that day. Not that maxing does that, I'm just saying it's not as crucial a workout because my tris get work on another day.

According to calculators online I should be around 260lb for a 1RM, but I know those aren't always right either. By Christmas I'd like to at least get to 265-270lbs for a max.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Quote Originally Posted by jbrin0tk View Post
    Nice job, man!
    Thanks! I wish every time I lifted my BP went up 5 pounds!

Should I try the same routine I've been doing except with 4-6 reps instead?

Not sure, I really don't max out that often because it's kind of a waste of a day for me, I can't do it on my chest day because that would ruin the whole workout so I usually do it at the end of the week if I feel like hitting my triceps more that day. Not that maxing does that, I'm just saying it's not as crucial a workout because my tris get work on another day.

According to calculators online I should be around 260lb for a 1RM, but I know those aren't always right either. By Christmas I'd like to at least get to 265-270lbs for a max.
    I can triple 90% of max. doing singles would not be a waste of time once inawhile. work up to a max and then do a couple sets of 90 percent or do a couple sets of 5. You have to get used to near max weight to every do it.

I think 5x5 is a great workout scheme, as I was able to take my max bench from 240 to 340 in about 8 months when I first started lifting again, but I think you'll find that you are going to run into a wall with it. Once that wall comes you will need to change something, as I have found out within the past couple of weeks. I was able to work up to 295 for a 5x5 workout, but 300 feels like a ton. I can get 3 sets of 5 and then 4, 3, but I wasn't able to make any progress beyond that for 3 straight workouts. I am currently doing 3x3's and making progress and am considering going to a Westside type scheme within the next 3-4 weeks. So my advice would be to not let a workout get stale and change things up every now and then. I guess that is why Westside works so well. Just my .02 cents worth.

Also, don't forget to eat like you want to bench 315. You are going to need to put on some more muscle to increase your bench so keep eating.
    Last edited by sayagain; 06-12-2008 at 03:34 PM.

See the thread called "Strong Pimp Hand" it works seriously

Hahaha Just messing you have alot of good advice on here so far. Keep your routines simple dont get to caught up in different training styles and methods. Find something that works and when it quits move to something else. Your body will get stale especially Raw so keep it mixed up some.

I'm getting ready to start a strength cycle using the conjugate method here is what i'll be doing ~

Week 1 ~ Floor Presses to 1RM then Heavy tris (prolly high boardwork)
    Week 2 ~ Pin Presses 5 inches off Chest to 1RM then Heavy tris
    Week 3 ~ Hanging Bands to Chest to 1RM then Heavy tris
    Week 4 ~ Full Range Bench to 1RM then Heavy tris
    Week 5 ~ start back at Week 1

DE Work ~
    Hanging Weight with mini bands (4 ~ 25 pound plates 2 perside) add weight to bar 3 reps in under 3 seconds then Heavy Tris

Thats it for bench then ~

Sun ~ ME Bench
    Mon ~ Legs
    Tues ~ Back and Bis
    Weds ~ DE Bench
    Thurs ~ Shoulders and Traps
    Fri and Sat ~ Rest
    Repeat

That is my program for next 3 to 4 months just wanna get as strong as possible while dropping BW

Form and Tech ARE HUGE also!!!!!!

Hope this helps.
    MONSTER MODE

Quote Originally Posted by Darracq View Post
    I can triple 90% of max. doing singles would not be a waste of time once inawhile. work up to a max and then do a couple sets of 90 percent or do a couple sets of 5. You have to get used to near max weight to every do it.
    That makes sense I guess.

I just tried again tonight, and where 240x1 was a bitch for me to get less than a month ago (video is posted in the picture forum) 245x1 and 250x1 went up easy for me tonight with no preparation. I just went down, warmed up with 135x7, 225x1, then did 245x1 and 250x1 and got a little more than half way up with 255 but I was too gassed by then because of the other two lifts. I bet if I try it next week I'd get that no problem. This is also with sore triceps from my arm workout last night.

So in less than a month I got my bench up 10 pounds, not bad.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

old fart - still pumping

you might try sheiko or westside methods. Sheiko got me up to the 235 range from 175 in about 6 weeks.