The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Not another one of those threads!

Sorry guys, its another one of those 'is my routine okay' threads.

As I mentioned in my intro thread, im 20 years old, 5ft 11' ins and 178lbs and I recently started the gym just under 2 weeks ago. Before this time I did weights at the age of about 13 so im pretty much a complete novice.

Ive got access to many machines and benches so I know I have no excuse to execute my training programme to the very best of my ability, but I know that its vital to get my training programme to perfection before wasting any more time.

So here we go with my weekly routine (I await to be grilled...!)

Weight Lifting Training Programme
    Must include 5 x 20 sets of press-ups and 5 x 20 sets of sit-ups a day.

Monday (3) Aprox - 1hr 30 mins.

Warm-Ups: 1,000 metres - Rowing Machine.

Biceps: 3 x sets - Dumbbell curls. 3 x sets- Hammer curls. 3 x sets - Alternative seated dumbbell curls. 3 x sets - Cable curls. 3 x sets - Barbell Upright Row.

Shoulders: 3 x Sets - Shoulder Crunches. 3 x Sets - Seated dumbbell raises. 3 x Sets - Side lateral raises. 3 x Sets - Deltoid raises.

Triceps: 3 x sets - Press down curls (Rope or bar). 3 x sets Dips. 3 x sets - Tricep machine (Near water). 3 x sets Pull-down machine.

Wednesday (4) Aprox - 1hr 15 mins.

Warm-Ups: 1,000 metres - Rowing Machine/5 minutes – Bicycle or Cross-Trainer

Biceps: (Light) 3 x sets - Dumbbell curls. 3 x sets- Hammer curls. 3 x sets - Barbell Upright Row.

Legs: 3 x sets - Barbell squats. 3 x sets - Thigh machine. 3 x sets - Lower leg machine.

Chest: 3 x sets - Incline dumbbell bench press. 3 x sets - Barbell bench press. 3 x sets – Push outs machine. 3 x sets - Dumbbell Flys.

Back: 3 x sets chin-ups. 3 x sets pull-ups. 3 x sets - Dead lift.

Friday (4) Aprox - 1hr 30 mins.

Warm-Ups: 1,000 metres - Rowing Machine/5 minutes – Bicycle or Cross-Trainer

Biceps: (Light) 3 x sets - Dumbbell curls. 3 x sets- Hammer curls. 3 x sets - Barbell Upright Row.

Legs: 3 x sets - Barbell squats. 3 x sets - Thigh machine. 3 x sets - Lower leg machine.

Shoulders: 3 x Sets - Shoulder Crunches. 3 x Sets - Seated dumbbell raises. 3 x Sets - Side lateral raises. 3 x Sets - Deltoid raises.

Triceps: 3 x sets - Press down curls (Rope or bar). 3 x sets Dips. 3 x sets - Tricep machine (Near water). 3 x sets Pull-down machine.

Saturday (2) Aprox - 1hr 30 mins.

Warm-Ups: 1,000 metres - Rowing Machine.

Back: 3 x sets chin-ups. 3 x sets pull-ups. 3 x sets - Dead lift.

Chest: 3 x sets - Incline dumbbell bench press. 3 x sets - Barbell bench press. 3 x sets – Push outs machine. 3 x sets - Dumbbell Flys.

Pool: 50 x lengths.
    For the purpose of mixing things up, ive added a couple of extra workout routines into the Biceps, Triceps and Shoulders but wont nessacerily be doing them all at one period of time.

Also my diet over the past 2 weeks onwards has mainly consisted of lots of chicken, tuna, fruit and veg. I want to build up strength, but I want to look happy with the way I look, if you see what I mean.

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks,

Chris.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Any routine that has you curling before squatting is not worth your time and effort. Buy Rippetoe's Starting Strength and go from there.

Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Overhead Press. Eat, Sleep, Repeat. Just do that.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm still a novice myself, but you gotta realise that the more experienced members don't come along and say dead,bench and squat just because it's trendy. Listen to the older/more experienced guys on the board. You'll find yourself getting bigger and stronger by doing WBB1 or starting strenght over a custom routine designed when you know very little 99% of the time.

As I said I'm pretty much a novice, but the guys who've already posted have pointed you in the right direction, heed their words of wisdom!

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Any routine that has you curling before squatting is not worth your time and effort. Buy Rippetoe's Starting Strength and go from there.
    Listen to Jorge, Do Rippetoes and you will see great results if your consistent,eat a lot, and lift heavy...This is what the routine looks like...

I'm not sure if I should try this workout or if I should try WBB#1 or BGB. I'm still a beginner with a not so solid 3 months of experience. I've gained around 5 pounds doing the usual chest/bi or tri, back/bi or tri, legs/shoulder, dead lifts, squats, bench presses, etc. I need to squat more and I should probably lay off the accessory work.

The workout below is from Mark Rippetoe's book “Starting Strength: A Simple and Practical Guide for Coaching Beginners”. He says beginners can gain 30-40 pounds in 6 months using this routine along with a bulk diet. I don't own the book and I don't think I'll buy it, but what do you guys think of this?

Alternate Workout A and Workout B every other day, 3 times a week. Mon, Wed, Fri.

Note: This doesn’t include warm-up sets

**Means this is OPTIONAL**

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Dead lift
    **2x8 Dips (or Decline Dumbbell Bench Press with your hands Facing each other)

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Standing military press
    3x5 Pendlay or Bent Rows (or power cleans)
    **2x8 Chin-ups (recommended mainly if doing the cleans)

Assistance work:

ABS: weighted decline sit-ups and/or Hanging Leg Raises at 2x8-10.

Weight:

Use the SAME weight throughout the sets.

Every week make it a goal to increase each of your lifts by 2.5%.

Warm-up Sets:

Specifically for first lift.
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 140lbs June 2012
    DL:
    Squat:
    Bench:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...54#post2084154

I just wanna say that DC training suggests deads/squats last in the workout and that program works. Period.

However, for a newbie, I don't suggest doing them last.

I'll reiterate what others have said and say stick to very compound movements and eat, sleep, rest. INCLINE bench, squat, deads, overhead press, and have someone knowledgeable teach you how to do cleans and snatches.

You're welcome in advance.
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the advice guys.

A lot of you have been referring to 'squats' and how I should implement them more often, but im not overly keen on developing my legs as much as the upper part of my body. I understand how bench press and deadlift are obviously the two key workouts to be focusing on so im just cutting down my schedule right now.

Squat.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

^^ yep..what he said

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

Work in Progress
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dickinson View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys.

A lot of you have been referring to 'squats' and how I should implement them more often, but im not overly keen on developing my legs as much as the upper part of my body. I understand how bench press and deadlift are obviously the two key workouts to be focusing on so im just cutting down my schedule right now.
    You don't want a huge upper body with small legs. It looks stupid.
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)

One day you will regret it if you don't train legs. If you want to be really strong, you need to train your legs.

yeah train legs, squt, eat, sleep

Wannabebig Member
    Yes I think its the right decision to work all of my body and I spent my time in the gym last night focusing on my back, chest and legs. I was actually suprised as I could squat just about 200lbs in my first attempt.