Thread: rippetoes to toning?

rippetoes to toning?

ok ive been on rippetoes for about 6 months and can def. tell of muscle gain. now im getting pretty sick of having to do the same rippetoe routine over and over. i was wondering if i could use one month to tone instead of try and gain mass. for example lighter weights with 3 sets of 10 or 8. plus if i tone will it decrease my muscle mass meaning will i lose my gains from more reps on a little lighter weight?

Quote Originally Posted by runriot26 View Post
    ok ive been on rippetoes for about 6 months and can def. tell of muscle gain. now im getting pretty sick of having to do the same rippetoe routine over and over. i was wondering if i could use one month to tone instead of try and gain mass. for example lighter weights with 3 sets of 10 or 8. plus if i tone will it decrease my muscle mass meaning will i lose my gains from more reps on a little lighter weight?
    Before everyone else tells you, "Use the search". With that being said, you don't cut (not tone, don't use that word) based on routine, it's about calories. If you want to lose some weight, cut your calories. The set and reps won't make you lose or gain weight (generally speaking), it's all about eating more or less than what you use. If you're just sick of your routine, find another one, but if you're still making gains, why bother?

I think that it makes little sense to go on a strength building routine like Rippetoe's if your only goal is to preserve muscle mass on a cut.

lol no no sorry i musta confused ya, i started out skinny as hell but have now made noticable gains all over, what i mean is if i switch to higher reps on lower weights will this cause me to lose what ive gained? if im still working out then i shouldnt lose any of my gains right?

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    What is toning? Does it require pink dumbbells?
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by OGROK View Post
    I think that it makes little sense to go on a strength building routine like Rippetoe's if your only goal is to preserve muscle mass on a cut.

Huh? By building strength it helps you lift heavy. Lifting heavy helps preserve muscle mass on a cut.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 06-13-2008 at 07:27 PM.

Seriously, who wants to be strong?

The opposite in fact.

lulz.

Just to be like everyone else.

im going to continue rippetoes but taking a break, i just want to know if ill be able to maintain what i have by doing higher reps on lower weights? can someone give me a yes or no answer here lol. will i lose muscle by doing this?

It depends on a lot of things. What will your diet be like? What do you mean by higher reps, 10, 15, 20, 50? What do you mean by lighter weights, 50% of your 1rm? How long a break do you intend to take?

If you work in the 8-10 rep range for a little while, and your diet is still on point, you will probably still get stronger if you are relatively new to weight lifting.

im pretty good at eating more calories then needed for me in a day, im thinking 3x10 and its higher than half my 1rm. im just worried about losing muscle mass

Quote Originally Posted by runriot26 View Post
    im pretty good at eating more calories then needed for me in a day
    I thought you said you wanted to cut?

its not really a cut i can eat more than i need but i have a high metabolism and i dont gain weight unless i really push myself, hell im only 140 why would i cut. but i just want to maintain what ive gained for now, i dont care for getting bigger at this point, so the question isss, WILL I LOSE MY MUSCLE FROM GOING FROM 3x5 TO 3x10

If your so worried about that, why don't you do 3x5 one week then 3x10 the next week then 3x5 and so on. Variation is a good thing.
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."