Thread: Deadlift tips

Wannabebig Member

Deadlift tips

So I just tried them for the first time today and my lower back was a bit sore walking out of the gym. Was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to maintain proper form or if there's other lifts I should be doing for my lower back as well as deadlifts. The squat Rx vids were helpful with my squats, is there anything like that for deadlifts?

I used a fairly low weight and did 2 sets of 10 reps each, felt like I could get another 6-7 easy after each one. About half the time I could feel my lower back rounding a little at the bottom which I know is really bad so I'd like to correct that before putting any more weight on there.

Thanks again for any advice you guys have.

If it's your first time you're going to be extremely sore. This is more or less because you've used muscles today you've never/rarely used before. Forms also important as you know. There are plenty of deadlifting videos on this site as well as youtube, take a look. Practice makes perfect.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Personally I would stick to lower reps for deads. I find (for myself anyway) if I go with higher reps even at a lower weight my form tends to slide a bit. I usually stick to 3-5 reps on deads. Just my $0.02.

Wannabebig Member
    A couple of things regarding form;

Make sure you take a deep breath right before you begin each rep. When I was learning DL I found that taking a deep breath and tightening my abdomen helped prevent my back from rounding.

Another really important thing is to get yourself set up in between reps to assure proper form. I see lots of guys doing the "tap-and-go" method of just bouncing the weights off the ground and pulling it up off the bounce. After each rep, re-position yourself, get your hips back down, take a breath, then pull.

Quote Originally Posted by drk0511 View Post
    A couple of things regarding form;

Make sure you take a deep breath right before you begin each rep. When I was learning DL I found that taking a deep breath and tightening my abdomen helped prevent my back from rounding.

Another really important thing is to get yourself set up in between reps to assure proper form. I see lots of guys doing the "tap-and-go" method of just bouncing the weights off the ground and pulling it up off the bounce. After each rep, re-position yourself, get your hips back down, take a breath, then pull.
    I agree completely. I was a tap and go guy and I noticed my back was rounding a lot. I started resetting and pushing my hips back down and it really helped.
    Age 24
    Weight 180lbs Goal 200lbs by 06/01/08
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

Just remember that they are DEADlifts. Put the bar back down on the ground, reset and do the next lift. I recommend doing 5 sets of 5 reps so you can maintain your form. Keep your lower back straight and strong, take a deep breath at the bottom before you lift, tighten your abs and lift by forcing your feet down through the floor. Keep your proud chest and proud butt throughout the lift and your form will be good. DO NOT round your lower back at any time in the lift or you'll do serious damage.
    Lumiel's BGB Weightlifting Journal

32 y/o, 6' tall, 205 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    Does anyone have any helpful advice for tall guys when deadlifting?

I'm about 6'2 and pretty lanky, and I have a hard time getting the bar past my knees while keeping my shoulders back. When start the lift, I almost have to roll my shoulders forward to clear my knees, which causes my lower back to start to round.

And I realized that I resurrected an old thread.. there wasn't much point in starting a new one.

Don't do 10 reps. No way you'll maintain good form throughout. Just remember to keep your eyes focused on one spot on the wall, and pretend there's an icecube on your back.

butt down, back straight, head and eyes up
    Last edited by biglift; 06-17-2008 at 06:35 PM.

It's a back lift, so you're lower back is going to be doing a lot of work, and will probably be sore or pumped. Work on warming up better and improving your flexibility to keep your back from rounding.

the more weight you move the harder it is to keep a perfectly straight back.. the best advice i can give you is to just work on building up your back nice and strong to be able to support the weight even if you're form isn't perfect. Stay as tight as you can but there will come a time when the weight reaches a certain lbage and you can still pull it it just won't be picture perfect.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!