Thread: Need some advice on next routine

Need some advice on next routine

hey guys i've been lifting for 9+ months now closer to a year and want to switch up my routine. I am currently doing:

Mon (chest, back)

db bench 3 x 8
    db incline 3 x 8
    db flies 3 x 8

deadlifts 3 x 6 (just started these < 1 month)
    db bent over row 3 x 8
    seated cable row 3 x 8
    shrugs 3 x 10

Wed (Legs)

squats 3 x 6 (just started these < 1 month)
    leg presses 3 x 8
    sitting down, raising legs up in a kicking motion (no idea what its called couldn't find on exrx) 3 x 8

Fri (shoulders/tris)

db seated overhead press 3 x 8
    db lateral raises 3 x 8
    db front raises 3 x 8

skull crunchders 3 x 8
    tricep pulldown 3 x 8
    db bicep curls 3 x 8 (sometimes)

So which routine would you guys suggest for my next one? from starr and others i pulled from here:

mon
    chest shoulders

wed
    legs tris

fri
    back biceps

or starr's

mon
    squat bench row

wed
    squat military deadlift

fri
    squat bench row

I'm still trying to bulk would the starr full body workout do me better than the first routine where i partition muscle groups?

do the 5x5, you'll make better overall gains. you have made a few posts about routines now, right? don't stress too much about the "perfect routine" get the good lifts in, train hard, eat, and rest.
    Last edited by joey54; 06-16-2008 at 06:06 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

i'm just wondering if i should stick to a routine where i'm hitting muscle groups once a week or do one like 5x5 where it's more than once a week. I've thought of doing BGB as well...

i'm also curious about this: I think my shoulders really haven't developed well...if i start and do the full body routines i just feel like they won't get the work they need if i'm only doing military 1 x a week in addition to bench/squat/deads? does this make any sense sorry i'm sleepy

Work in Progress
    Good to see you're still going strong scumbag. I just started Westside yesterday. I've actually started a journal if you're curious. I'll let you know how it goes.
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)

I understand your concerns, but you shoulders are also going to be hit when you bench, when you row, when you deadlift. you gain size and your shoulders will develop.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by scumbag View Post
    i'm just wondering if i should stick to a routine where i'm hitting muscle groups once a week or do one like 5x5 where it's more than once a week. I've thought of doing BGB as well...

i'm also curious about this: I think my shoulders really haven't developed well...if i start and do the full body routines i just feel like they won't get the work they need if i'm only doing military 1 x a week in addition to bench/squat/deads? does this make any sense sorry i'm sleepy
    On the full body routine your shoulders are worked three days a week. That's more than enough. Bench and row work your shoulders, so does the deadlift and military. They get plenty of stimulation. Give it time. You should be thinking in terms of months and years when it comes to gains.

As for the rest of it, I agree completely with Joey54. There's no one perfect routine, there are only bad ones and good ones. 5x5 has a proven track record, So I'd go with it.

Work in Progress
    I can relate to the shoulder issue. When I first started way back when I did way too much shoulder work aside from the usual bench and rows and stuff, and ended up overworking them badly. I couldn't move for a week.

You should be fine with a full body routine.
    Last edited by Szust; 06-16-2008 at 06:48 PM.
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)

Since you just started DLing and squatting less than a month ago you should focus heavily on those lifts. Starr's 5x5 fits the bill, but you'd probably be better off using a routine that has you progressing workout to workout, not week to week. I'd suggest Rippetoe's Starting Strength for you.

I know you don't want to consider yourself a beginner after you've been working out for 9 months, but you will make better progress with a routine that has you increasing the weight more often (obviously).
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 06-16-2008 at 07:02 PM.

5x5 is awesome. Using it with my bench, I went from 185lbs to 250lbs and my squats (which I've only been doing for around 5-7 months) went from barely being able to rep 110lbs to repping 225 and probably maxing around 270. If I didn't hurt my hip at work I'd be over that now but as it stands I have to work back up to my old squat numbers.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

hmm ok thx for the great advice/opinions berfles, Jorge, Sanchez, Szust, Song and joey. i'm going to try the full body split