The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Here is the secret to get huge

From this article. I thought it was a great read. http://www.elitefts.com/documents/basement.htm

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.elitefts.com/documents/basement.htm
    No Respect? Go to the Basement!
    By Zach Even-Esh
    For www.EliteFTS.com

I have had some interesting conversations with Jim Wendler. One in particular struck a chord with me quite heavily. In fact, it has helped mold a process I use at my gym when training new athletes.

Jim and I spoke about the lack of respect for the weights nowadays, specifically by those who spend too much time on the internet and at these fancy gyms. I see how kids casually skip workouts that their parents pay for without a care in the world. I see how countless high school athletes don’t work jobs because they are full-time high school students who are “too busy” to work.

I see how incoming clients want to get started immediately on the same program as the experienced wrecking crew on their very first training session, completely dismissing the amount of blood, sweat, and tears it took to be able to follow such a program. I see how high school athletes think squatting half-way down actually means “squatting.” I see how way too many people have no ****ing clue what it means to be committed, intense, and passionate about something, especially getting strong!

I have turned down prospective clients many times. I have also fired clients due to their lack of effort or their overbearing parents who think smashing their son to the ground during every workout is what it’s all about.

The last kid I “fired” was prepping for college football. Weighing around 160 lbs on a good day and skipping more than half his workouts led me to tell his father that I simply could not take his money anymore and that his son was no longer allowed to train with me. Problems with a girl, this hurts and that hurts…before I knew it, more than half of his workouts were no shows. Some were even late shows.

Kids like this do NOT deserve to train among other motivated kids. I suggest to my athletes that they help their parents pay for their membership with me. You need to earn your way to train with me.

Kids like this need to be sent to the basement, locked up for one hour four days a week, and told they must figure it out on their own. “Here you go, son. I bought you a beautiful 300-lb weight set from Costco. Now, get the **** downstairs and figure it out on your own. No radio, no mirrors, no guidance, no asking for help. Figure it out on your own. Don’t let me see this door open up until I tell you that your one hour is over!”

Can you get jacked and strong using a 300-lb barbell set? You better believe it! And NO, there is no power rack. EVERYTHING begins from the floor.

Our new clients go through a baseline program that can last anywhere from a few workouts to a few months. The time spent on this baseline program depends on their intensity, progress, physical improvements, mental readiness, and commitment to growth, inside and out. We have them do hand walking, pull-ups, recline rows on thick ropes, box jumps for high reps, jumping rope, sled and Prowler work, high rep medicine ball throws, high rep medicine ball slams, sledge hammer work, push-ups, sit-ups, leg raises, recline rope climbing, and more of the same. The pace picks up every single workout, progress is expected, intensity is expected, sweating is expected….

Complaining is not allowed or accepted. Saying “I can’t…” or stating some other unacceptable excuse does not go over well with me. It’s supposed to be hard. It’s supposed to be challenging. In case you were wondering...

If you are warming up and it looks like you don’t want to be here, LEAVE! We don’t want you here, and the weights don’t want to be touched by you. Negative energy has NO place in a hard core weight room. Don’t try to fool me either. I can tell who respects the weights and who doesn’t. If I see an ounce of disrespect, you’re going to get smashed. You’ll be hitting circuits of wheel barrows, pull-ups, recline rope climbs, and leg raises on the dip bar. I’ll have you pushing the “Prowler of death” until you’re seeing stars and laying in the middle of the parking lot dazed and confused.

The weight room was once a special place. Nowadays, everyone wants fancy this and fancy that and cries a river like Justin Timberlake because they see box squats, clean and presses, floor presses, pull-ups, sled work, and farmer walks on a program. They wanted fancy shmancy. Why do they want fancy? Because fancy is WAAAAY easier than the basics. It will always come down to the basics and gut busting effort if you want results. This will NEVER change.

Louie Simmons kicks people who don’t show respect out of the gym. George DeFranco did the same when he owned a gym. I’m doing this today and will do so until my very last breath on earth.

The kids who respect the weights nowadays seem to be those who have jobs and need to make their own money to support their gym membership. I used to cut lawns as a teenager to earn money for my gym membership. I also washed cars. I worked full-time plus overtime at a summer job to save cash for my first car. I had to stop working overtime when someone posted a sign on child labor laws and found out I was only 16-years-old but working 50 hours a week.

I rode my bike to the old school YMCA and could barely walk my bike home after some of my workouts. Today, a kid plays football for one hour and is too tired to go to the gym afterward and skips a training session that mommy and daddy are paying for!

I’m sick of the bull ****….maybe some of these kids do not deserve to go to the basement. Might be too warm and cozy. How about a 300-lb barbell set in the backyard, regardless of the weather, and some time to figure it out.

It’s time to raise the bar regarding what we expect of our youth or anyone else who starts a strength program. Donald Trump said the young generation is turning into a bunch of wimps. The schools focus so much on positive reinforcement and making everybody feel good that no one can handle the truth.

The truth is hard work—gut busting hard work—on the basics is where it’s at. From my point of view, it looks like we’re going to have some very crowded basements. It’s time to instill some morals, values, and work ethics.

Hard is not what we do! Challenging is not what we do. We have it easy my friends, and when I hear complaining or whining, it sets me off like a time bomb. I almost lost it when one of my own clients requested me to change the rules of our LIFT Strong fundraiser because he was not a sure win. I told him not to compete because he has no clue what it means to fight for something, which is exactly why we hold LIFT Strong events. It represents the fight that Alwyn Cosgrove fought for several years.

Rather than complain about the “challenge,” we must be grateful for it, embrace it, and become better people because of it. Hard is what guys like Alwyn Cosgrove have fought through as well as those like Lance Armstrong, Mrs. DeFranco, Deon Anderson, and the like. These are the people who have experienced what “hard” is.

That’s my rant, and yes, I’m pissed off! And if you walk into my gym, you had better believe that I’m going to take it out on YOU! So be ready!

Zach Even–Esh is a performance coach for athletes and the owner of the Underground Strength Gym in Edison, New Jersey. You can learn more about his methods at http://ZachEven-Esh.com or http://UndergroundStrengthCoach.com.

Elite Fitness Systems strives to be a recognized leader in the strength training industry by providing the highest quality strength training products and services while providing the highest level of customer service in the industry. For the best training equipment, information, and accessories, visit us at www.EliteFTS.com.

Copyright© 1998-2008 Elite Fitness Systems. All rights reserved.
    You may reproduce this article by including this copyright
    and, if reproducing it electronically, including a link to
    www.Elitefts.com.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

That reminds me how big a vag I've become.

well, if i had that guys money Id burn mine...

what if your a highschool kid between jobs?
    I BEAT CURL JOCKEY
    BP - 280 pause bench
    SQ - 345 outdated
    DL - 345 outdated
    Clean and Jerk - 250

Good read and good points.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    excellent.

Work in Progress
    Yes ma'am. Gladly I've gone into lifting with the right attitude.
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    A couple of things:

"Kids like this need to be sent to the basement, locked up for one hour four days a week, and told they must figure it out on their own."

Good luck on maintaining a decent father-son relationship with that attitude...if the son doesn't actually kill himself by dropping the bar on his neck and no spotter is there to take it off.

Kids like this shouldn't be training at all. If they don't want to train, pushing them to attend a gym where they go through the motions is a waste of money and time.

And then we have this. "I used to cut lawns as a teenager to earn money for my gym membership. I also washed cars. I worked full time plus overtime at a summer job to save cash for my first car."

Did he forgot to mention that he walked eight miles to school uphill both ways in chest-deep snow? So what? Yes every generation thinks the next is going to the dogs....this attitude is nothing new.

Personally I like to train hard... but I'm not going to force my son or anyone else into that. I'll give them suggestions...if they don't want to follow it, no skin off my nose.

Decent read otherwise though.

Obviously everything in the article is not meant to be taken literally...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    My thoughts exactly. lol.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

lol +1

I thought it was a good read. Sometimes we forget that all it takes to get strong is dedication, and something heavy. No need for that Super Hip Adductor / Tricep Kickback Machine 3000.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

This article was awesome. I hear too many people bitch and moan about how busy their day is and they can’t get to the gym and or how tiring it is to do this and that. I work 10 hour days and schedule my day around the gym. If I need to go to the mall or go to class or go to work, I figure my schedule out the day before and FIND time to go to the gym and bust my ass. To many people these days lack motivation and work ethic whether that is inside the gym or out.
    Last edited by Cards; 06-18-2008 at 12:30 AM.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

Well I only read what is written and respond to that. Anyway those were my problems with the article. You may disagree or say those were not be taken literally and that's fine.

My point was that if people don't want to workout, then that is their choice. Just drop them and focus on those that do.

To say that complaining makes you angry when the same article is nothing but complaining about the complainers...I just found it a little amusing.

Chin and Heart
    This guy doesn't know anything. I can do a 400lbs virtual deadlift on my Wii

Training
    Great article with motivating methods.
    Starting over...

Great article. I disagree with the Donald Trump sentiment though.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

Quote Originally Posted by AKMass View Post
    Great article. I disagree with the Donald Trump sentiment though.
    True. I don't see Donald Trump deadlifting 500+ lbs.

Anyway, nice article. It does seem that each generation has gotten just a little bit softer than the one before. It's good there are still people out there trying not to let that happen, but it's an uphill fight when society/technology/media/parents/kids are working extra hard to ensure that it does.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I like this article.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

why can't low carbs count as an excuse?

lol..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

good article.
    he could have just said, "kids dont work hard enough. i worked hard." but the extra words made it a nice read

Wannabebig Member
    I thought it was a good read.

"Kids like this need to be sent to the basement, locked up for one hour four days a week, and told they must figure it out on their own."

That was funny to me because I lift in my basement. It's miserable down there. It's an unfinished basement and it gets so humid it makes me sick.

i work as a a casual waiter to pay for my gym fees. Hopefully when i come back from holiday ill find a good full time job. But great article i can associate with.
    It all comes down to "Light W e i g h t... babeh!", "Ain't nuthin but a peanut!" and "Yeahhhhh buddy!" - Ronnie Coleman

It's all about the benjamins....

And so it came to pass...

Weight: 85kg/13 Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
    I thought it was a good read.

That was funny to me because I lift in my basement. It's miserable down there. It's an unfinished basement and it gets so humid it makes me sick.
    Same man. Before I decided to take the initiative to save my money to buy enough equipment to get myself set up nice, I was training in an unfinished basement, concrete floors, concrete walls, in the winter with no heat. The main floor had insulation so it wasn't freezing, but cold enough I had to wear pants and a sweater. Good times
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

TJW

Love articles like that, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    How do you think fat people got fat? Do you think they know something special that you don't? No. They're eating all the ****ing time.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    Same man. Before I decided to take the initiative to save my money to buy enough equipment to get myself set up nice, I was training in an unfinished basement, concrete floors, concrete walls, in the winter with no heat. The main floor had insulation so it wasn't freezing, but cold enough I had to wear pants and a sweater. Good times

I have nice equipment, it's just that the conditions aren't so great down there.