Thread: 10 Things About Deadlift Training

10 Things About Deadlift Training

I just spent a good amount of time going over my dl logs from years past. I came up with some things that worked for me consistently, and some that I have gotten away from that I will revert back to:

1. To be good at the deadlift you must...well....deadlift!

2. You cannot deadlift too often. My best cycles came when I pulled around every other week, but for some reason I got away from that

3. Periodization works!! Despite the nay sayers, it was good enough for Eddy, Kirk, Lamar and thousands of other old schoolers that numbers still stand as all time bests

4. You must factor in heavy squats into what your dl loads should be

5. The reverse hyper is a GREAT piece of gear

6. Bent rows, block pulls and racks, along with GMS are all top DL assistance moves

7. Your last heavy pull should be at least 12-14 days out from the show

8. Practice how you compete! In other words, PRACTICE IN YOUR DL GEAR JUST AS YOU WOULD A BENCH SHIRT! 4-6 workouts each cycle!! The Inzer Fusion is TOP conventional suit right now, with velcro straps.

9. Bands are great for speed training!!

10. Never stop seeking advice from great pullers!

Those are ten of the things I learned. Anyone care to share their list?

Semper Fi

Banned
    i dont agree with #2 but all the rest seem good, thanks

Great list rock. I agree with all that. Can you explain the periodization a little bit?

Thanks dude
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

i deffinantely agree with number 2, i expierienced the same thing, but my coach complains about it so i only go heavy every other week now.
    You cant buy strength, but you sure as hell can work for it

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel99 View Post
    i deffinantely agree with number 2, i expierienced the same thing, but my coach complains about it so i only go heavy every other week now.
    i'm not super strong in the deadlift like brent where i need so much time off, sh** i just have ice bath once in awhile

thanks for the tips

hey rock..

would you be against something like having a deadlift exercise like a rack pull, good morning, reverse band, etc. on y our ME days and doing nothing but assistance work on your DE days focusing only on teh deadlift if you want a big pull and don't give a **** about squats?

I'm curious about another big puller's take on this.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Quote Originally Posted by thewicked View Post
    hey rock..

would you be against something like having a deadlift exercise like a rack pull, good morning, reverse band, etc. on y our ME days and doing nothing but assistance work on your DE days focusing only on teh deadlift if you want a big pull and don't give a **** about squats?

I'm curious about another big puller's take on this.
    Bro I dont do Westside, and to be honest none of my training partners have either. Some of their methods have great merit and we use them daily, but the exact template we do not use.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROCK View Post
    Bro I dont do Westside, and to be honest none of my training partners have either. Some of their methods have great merit and we use them daily, but the exact template we do not use.

Semper Fi
    AH well that would make a difference now wouldn't it HAHA
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROCK View Post
    4. You must factor in heavy squats into what your dl loads should be
    What is your experience with this in terms of numbers - percentages and sets/reps? Or is this a more general guideline along the lines of "don't pull and squat heavy in consecutive workouts"?

I'll add one more to the list:

* Stick to your deadlift style for all deadlift movements (pulls from boards, rack pulls, etc.).

I don't have enough experience to vouch for this myself, but it is something I was told by Victor Furazhkin, and is apparently mandated by the Russian IPF team coaches. For sumo pullers this means no romanian/straight/stiff/-leg deadlifts (yes, there is straight-leg sumo - it is pretty useless IMO), but between GMs, hypers (and reverse-hypers if you have the machine, I don't think doing it one-legged with a band works), and pulls to the knee you should have your back and hamstrings pretty well covered. You hear from time to time about people who train conventional in non-competition cycles because it works the back more, but that never made sense to me since it flies in the face of #8 - "train like you compete."

Banned
    I would disagree with the some of those for beginner/intermediate trainees. For example, after being stalled for a while, I've recently begun squatting 3 times per week and pulling once a week. I just pulled my previous 1 RM (375) for 5. As for advanced trainees, I don't know ****

I agree with all those rules. As for #2, I've had my best results when I've pulled EVERY week in the weeks leading up to a meet.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I agree with the 10... another one.

*don't strain your FN hip flexor... pulling is out of the question.
    [/butthurt]
    Last edited by Big o Boy; 06-09-2008 at 04:56 PM.
    Weight: 194.0 lbs.Height: 5' 11"
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:
    Put on size and git Strong(er)
    Raw Goals: 450 Squat, 365 Bench, 570 Deadlift

"Weak points come from not doing the things you suck at doing." -Dave Tate

Brothers the reason I put it up there was not to say its the gospel truth, it is what has worked for ME and will work for MOST but certainly not ALL. As far as mixing styles, I feel there is def some merit in it. The Finns are some of the best pullers ever, and there sumo style lifters do SLDL conventional for the most part. There is no magic template for any lift, but those are things that work for me, and have worked for the many training partners that I have had the priviledge to train with. As far as pulling too often, there are so many factors such as age, time lifting, style of lifting, squat volume etc. Pulling too often is a huge factor with an elite lifter pulling big numbers. I have found that I WANT to pull more as my numbers climbed, but I simply cannot do it...that was the hardest lesson that I have learned and it took this long for me to learn it. I have the mental fortitude to pull heavy every week, but my body just wont take it. In essence I need to pull LESS in order to pull MORE.

Semper Fi

Rock, what you are decribing is definitely true for all strength athletes. As one approches one's hereditary limits of strength, each heavy sessions places such a stress on the body as to require more rest than when one is relatively weaker.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned

my ten ways to a big pull

1. get bigger that way lock-out will never be a problem

2. do reps, reps , and more reps

3. dont watch any internet deadlifting...I never ramp/hithced till i joined this site called marunde-muscle and saw ****load of guys hitching and joined in.

4. rack-pull always above the knees

5.learn to walk with heavy loads yoke, farmers,stone carry etc..

6. deficit deadlift are great but only do them when your form can handle it.

7.max-out should be in socks.

8. train back 2-3 times a week

9 do not neglect lat work.

10. listen to loud music...helps alot too ya' know

Strong kid some good points bro! Marunde muscle is the site of my friend Jesse...RIP...one of the NICEST people you will EVER meet. We took a cab to the airport at the Arnold a few years back and got a chance to talk and exchange emails etc. He asked permission to post some of my DL articles on his site, which was an honor. If you want GREAT internet footage of the dl, which in my opinion is VERY VALUABLE, go ahead and watch some Vince Anello or Ed Coan footage on youtube, it will be a great learning experience.

Semper Fi

Banned
    I especially liked this one off the marunde muscle articles....
    "4. Did you eat breakfast? If not, don't ask me anything about nutrition."

http://www.marunde-muscle.com/articl...mmandments.htm