Thread: Working opposing forces?

Working opposing forces?

I looked up this article in mens health and I was wondering, is what there saying true? http://www.menshealth.com/fitness2/opposing.shtml

PR blaster!
    If I saw someone doing that, I would laugh my ass off.
    "****, if you told teenagers it was trendy to wear a paper bag on their heads with holes for the eyes they'd all be doing it."

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    haaaaaaaahahahahhaa we got some funny stuff on the board today.......it's like their brain is having a fight, and the left side wnats to do a military, and the other a pulldown.

Yea, that'd be great. Flyersfan's Avatar
    I think this is a perfect example of magazines making stuff up just so they have something to print. I have nothing against Mens Health, but they must've had a slow month to come up with that theory/exercise.
    -Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.-

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    I have things against all those magazines.

I don't know why you're all ripping on it...shouldn't knock something 'til you try it. Unless it's incredibly ridiculous, which I don't believe this is. I went through a period of time where I would train the left side of my lower body and right side of my upper body and vice versa. Open up your minds.
    Last edited by BigChaseyChase; 03-21-2002 at 02:15 PM.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Im sure that does wonders for intensity when he has to concentrate on 2 things at once.

Sorry Chase, but I think thats a joke.
    Push the envelope/Watch it bend.

oh well, it was worth a try, followers stay followers.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Originally posted by BigChaseyChase
    oh well, it was worth a try, followers stay followers.
    *** True dat. Open your minds. It'll do great things for your training.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

yeah, and that exercise shown there won't. i've done some weird things in training, some like that, it don't really work...especially for higher weight

So what happens when you need a spot then?

The 35 lb dumbell gets set down, and you are completely off balance for your final few reps of the otehr excercise.

With low weights I can see this working (maybe?), but with higher weights, no way.

PR blaster!
    "In weight training there's a shortcut, called reciprocity training, that can make you stronger in less time."

That statement alone is ridiculous.
    "****, if you told teenagers it was trendy to wear a paper bag on their heads with holes for the eyes they'd all be doing it."

I'm all about open-mindedness-- but damn......
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Try reciprocity training for 3 weeks, twice a week, using about 20 percent less weight than usual, says Ben Prentiss, owner of Body Turning in Connecticut. Then go back to your regular workout and see how much you've improved.
    All it is, is a rediculous way of shocking your muscles for new growth.

There are a lot better ways out there to accomplish this.
    Mens Health is just playing off the fact that most of the people who read their trash dont know to change their training up once in a while to stimulate more growth as their body addapts.

Ya, I agree with jell. I guess Men's Health just ran out of material so they felt like writing about a ridiculous concept
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

All the magazines do it. If you look back like 10 years or so, you'll see the same articles, they recycle em.

I'm no expert by no means, but I couldn't help but laugh at that one. That's just ridiculous, like stated in previous posts.

Feel sorry for the people who actually buy & believe all that stuff. They gotta long raod ahead.
    Southern Pride !

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    for some reason, i think somebody's gonna ask about this routine again in a few weeks, sorta like creatine serum q's.
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

Wow, I couldn't belive my eyes. I mean the idea is kinda weird but acceptable, but I can't help thinking, that this idea has made it to print. Ok, there are 3 points, which bother me:
    1. Lack of balance
    2. Not being able to concentrate
    3. It just looks stupid. Men's Health wanted to bring the bored gym staff something to laugh at.
    All weights in kilograms in my posts. 1 kg = 2,2 lbs

My training log.
    My foreign language study site.

Joey54's crazy partner DumbbellTosser's Avatar
    I think THAT may be the most rediculous thing I've seen about training to date. Well pretty damn close!

Don't worry... there's plenty of gullible people who will see that and think it's the best way to train.....
    It's like I'm a juicer... but I'm not.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    reciprocity Actually that statement is correct...,except for one little mistake. It should read "In weight training there is a shortcut called reciprocity training which can make you injured in less time."

lol ! I'have some curious ideas about weight training but this one is totaly creazy :O) anyone tried lateral raise and curl at the same time ? hahaha

I guess this magazine realy need money !
    Last edited by Gavan; 03-24-2002 at 07:44 AM.
    Gain Muscles ? Overload !
    Lose Fat ? Input < Output
    Genetic determines your potential
    Chins : 10x106kg Dips 10x109kg

I can't even dream up an idea why that would be of any benifit over regular training.
    " Eat to grow, Progression to get stronger " - mesmall