Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helping out gym noobs

Work in Progress

Helping out gym noobs

How often do you see some noob in the gym doing bench press only half way down, or someone swinging their entire body into a bicep curl?

I'm wondering if it's proper gym etiquette to approach the person and let them know about their mistakes? I always cringe when I see someone doing overhead press in the smith machine.
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)

I've learned to leave them alone. 95% don't care what you think. Waste of time.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Totally depends on the situation. If someone comes to lift with our team(powerlifting) I always rip their form apart. If it's in a commercial gym I usually let it go. If someone asks me for a spot, I usually will give them some advice if their form is terrible.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

I take care of my training partners or people that come and ask for my 2 cents. Other than that, I just let it roll. I see it a TON. Its actually accountability to some extent. It keeps me focusing on my form and making sure I do things well.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I lift in a commercial gym and see horrible form all the time. Sometimes I see things that almost make me laugh out loud it is so bad, but I try to ignore it and focus on my own workout. I will occasionally have people ask me questions about squat or bench form because I am the only powerlifter in the gym and most of them have never seen anyone moving big weights (and I use the term "big weights" as a very relative term). When asked I give as much help as I can.

Addicted to Adrenaline LevesqueIsKing's Avatar
    It absolutely is.

I must admit that I've occasionally blown people off if I like what I'm doing at the moment, but as a general statement I love to be confronted with advice (and I'm tiny, just to let you know). However, I've often thought about confronting the bigger guys I see around the gym every time I'm there, but it's just too intimidating. I swear I've gotten a second away from asking someone to critique my deadlift form about a billion times, but I never end up doing it. I would absolutely love it for someone to step in.
    A while back this huge guy (that I had been admiring for months, of course) was maxing out at 315 on bench and he asked ME to spot him. Me, the skinny little bitch. Little things like that mean a lot to people. Just knowing that he trusted me with that kind of weight, it was like I had been accepted into some elite club that they have, or something.

I'd also like to say that I think you might be making it too hard on yourself. I think that the kids you see trying to Squat ATF and Deadlift will generally listen to your advice, while the ones Curling and Benching for hours might blow you off more often. I could be wrong, but I don't think that's a bad assumption

No one ever said that you would be properly rewarded for being nice, but I think someday you will. Even if it takes a hundred smirking idiots blowing you off to finally find the kid that listens, I think you'll find that it's worth it when you finally realize how much it means to that one kid.

Quote Originally Posted by LevesqueIsKing View Post
    it was like I had been accepted into some elite club that they have, or something.
    i know the feeling. i usually leave people be. seems a lot of the time the people who have terrible form are the ones trying to give me advice, and im one of the heavier lifters in the gym (which is INCREDIBLY sad due to my low stats.)
    I BEAT CURL JOCKEY
    BP - 280 pause bench
    SQ - 345 outdated
    DL - 345 outdated
    Clean and Jerk - 250

Work in Progress
    People sometimes ask me what I'm doing but they never ask for a form check, or to show them how to do it. I suppose I can help out the new kids at the gym that are constantly hassled by the curl jockeys. Honestly, there are only 2 workouts at my commercial gym, bicep curls and bench press.
    Last edited by Szust; 06-17-2008 at 09:58 PM.
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)

Banned
    If you do want to give them pointers I find its best to ask if they want to hear it first, like, "I watched your bench and noticed a few things, would you like to hear them?"

Banned
    I try this with Sean, Reko and Will all the time. They never listen...

LOL, I typically leave them be unless I think they're going to hurt themselves or if they ask. The ones that ask are typically looking for the right way to do things and are obviously more receptive.

UPA Lousiana Chairman Eric Downey's Avatar
    It depends if you have had any conversation with the person, but other wise they already know everything. They read flex. Normally those people ask me questions when they see me strap bands on the bar and I let them feel the diffference compaired to what they do.
    CLASH FOR CASH RAW504 SEPT. 11, 2010 KENNER, LA CLICK FOR INFO
    Eric "BIG EZY" Downey
    RAW BENCH BEST: 523 Raw Unity 2010
    RAW UNITY VID
    RAW TOTAL BEST:534.5 - 507 - 556.5 1598 APA Raw Nationals 2010
    534 SQUAT
    507 BENCH
    556 DEADLIFT
    Facebook YOUTUBE

I work out at my hospital gym (only medical students and hospital employees can use the facility) and normally I dont approach anyone unless I think that they might really hurt themselves. One time I watched this younger resident with 185lbs on a barbell squating and then jumping, I've seen other people do this and didnt think much of it but this guy was collapsing under the weight and nearly falling over each time if i didnt say anything he probably would've died.

Work in Progress
    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime1485 View Post
    I work out at my hospital gym (only medical students and hospital employees can use the facility) and normally I dont approach anyone unless I think that they might really hurt themselves. One time I watched this younger resident with 185lbs on a barbell squating and then jumping, I've seen other people do this and didnt think much of it but this guy was collapsing under the weight and nearly falling over each time if i didnt say anything he probably would've died.
    I fell on my ass after I failed a Zercher squat yesterday. I had pins set up though so there was no danger.
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)

Banned
    My favorite so far:
    "So what's the vest do?" In reference to a denim bench shirt.

UPA Lousiana Chairman Eric Downey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime1485 View Post
    Why you gotta go messing with gods plan. Just kidding, I help people that do thing just so totally wrong like sitting the machine wrong and stuff like that, but some people just cant be helped.
    CLASH FOR CASH RAW504 SEPT. 11, 2010 KENNER, LA CLICK FOR INFO
    Eric "BIG EZY" Downey
    RAW BENCH BEST: 523 Raw Unity 2010
    RAW UNITY VID
    RAW TOTAL BEST:534.5 - 507 - 556.5 1598 APA Raw Nationals 2010
    534 SQUAT
    507 BENCH
    556 DEADLIFT
    Facebook YOUTUBE

Wannabebig Member
    I leave them alone also. But sometimes they will have comments. "try benching without those boards, its better for you!" Isn't that like a poor man telling me how to get rich?

Banned
    I only provided unsolicited advice when people are goint to get hurt, or I know them well enough. Usuall it's rounded backs on deadlifts that get me....I feel some sort of civil duty to correct that. Plus I'm a weakling, so unless I can push/pull/move more weight on whatever exerise they're doing I'm not going to offer advice. Althought sometimes I'll phrase it as a question....
    "Is there any reason you don't touch your chest when you bench?"

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    "Is there any reason you don't touch your chest when you bench?"
    Funny you brought that up, because the last time I asked someone that, his response was "if I touch my chest I can't bench 165lbs anymore." I said OK and walked away .

Quote the Priest Nevermore PriestCometh's Avatar
    I dont try to help folks anymore, unless they ask.
    If they ask, I dont mind.

I give advice sometimes if I am familiar with the person, and if I think they will be receptive to it. I once told a guy about leg drive in regards to benching (he had none), and he came back about a week later and told me that he improved his max bench by 20lbs. since then and that the leg drive tip really helped him.

Most of the time I get questions such as "dude, what are the boards for?" or "what do those bands do?" People are usually pretty curious about these types of things. Heck, I even get questions about box squatting. However, I find that these people are pretty receptive to at least trying to understand what I am trying to achieve once I explain it to them.

if i try to give advice (in my school weightroom) i just get viewed as 'oh he's so cocky and thinks he owns the place cuz he's stronger'... maybe when i go to a real gym i can give advice. not that i have very much to give though.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Never strong enough!
    I have been trying to change the atittude at my Y one person at a time. There are now at least 4 PL guys and a new trainer who just came from a D-1 football progam. I figure the more I get people doing some of the lifts I do the more likely the director is going to see a need to add more thing like chains, bands, and heavier DBs. I bug them regularly to bring some of those things. I did finally get my kettleball wish.

It was great fun torturing a guy a few weeks ago. He was doing 800 lbs on the leg press so I ask him why I never see him squat? He said he really did not know how and he was just comfortable on the machines for legs. Once I stopped laughing at his chicken legs I said he could join for my next leg workout. That was his mistake. We did about 6 sets of squats(he did 185), straight leg deads, step ups, and walking lunges. I saw him about 4 days later hobbling around. And he actually asked for more. Although he is a little talkie I did pick up a partner to train with.

i tell them if they are doing something wrong!! but dont understand why you
    cringe when you see overhead work on the smith machine? i use it often
    anyways i have made a ton of new freinds in my commercial gym by giving unrequested help

I always took advice when I first started. Two months into training just from listening to people, I went from not knowing anything to squatting and deadlifting and all the other compound moves we love.
    January 07-164 pounds
    *Bulking*
    Deccember 07 - 225 pounds

June 08 - 205
    *Currently Cutting*
    Goal-190

November 08-238 pounds
    *Bulking till January 1st*

Work in Progress
    Quote Originally Posted by rmccray View Post
    i tell them if they are doing something wrong!! but dont understand why you
    cringe when you see overhead work on the smith machine? i use it often
    anyways i have made a ton of new freinds in my commercial gym by giving unrequested help
    Because they can be getting so much more by doing military press. People at my gym see me do it and look over in awe, because everyone else does it sitting down in the smith machine with less weight.
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)