Thread: Exercises to work around chest injuries

Exercises to work around chest injuries

I have a nagging injury at pec shoulder tie in area. I can do full range with some discomfort. I did some 1 board work that seems to decrease the discomfort. I will try 2 and so forth because I think that will help even more.
    Anyone with other exercises or tips on healing faster. At what point do you give up on heavy flat bench?
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Banned
    never give up!
    when i rehab my pec/shoulder injuries, i will go back to the bar and work on form and motion, seems to help some, and do allot of stretching and massaging.

Wannabebig Member
    Bill,
    How do you bench raw, what width grip do you use and where do you think your elbows are tracking in reference to your torso, are you old school bodybuilding style around 90 degrees from your side or are you a traditional power bencher elbows slightly tucked around 45 degrees and touching low on sternum (not belly)

I would say it would deff help to add a whole bunch of upper back, trap, rear delt exercises to help take some of the force off your pecs at the bottom.
    Also you may want to make sure you are squeezing your shouldrs into the bench on the way down as well.

Also I think you would benefit greatly from a Active release techniques practitioner..

CT

Wannabebig Member
    Deep tissue/active release work for the pec tie ins, ultrasound if you can, and tons of upper back work.

never give up! Like someone said earlier! REHAB THAT BAD BOY BACK INTO BUSINESS! i'VE BEEN HURT TWICE AND COME BACK AROUND FOR THE THIRD TIME NOW! I'LL BENCH 500 RAW BEFORE I DIE..OR I'LL DO DOING IT BUT EITHER WAY! LOL
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Thanks guys, maybe I just want it heal faster than is possible.
    I really don't want my bench to go down. lol it's low enough already. To late now so I will try some the suggestions, find out what I can still do.
    Chris I try to bench with the elbows in, powerlifting style and bring the bar fairly low. I use to flare the elbows at 90 degrees, hurt my chest that way. I had good success with a more narrow grip and elbows in up too this recent set back.
    I will take a look at actually going to a doc or checking into the art massage stuff.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold

I am the unfortunate expert on this one so to speak, having been the only person you will ever meet that has torn BOTH pecs and is still on the platform, or at least one of the few. I tore my right pec muscle completely in half, and severely ruptured the left pec tendon, ask BPM Osgood for details as he was there for both and I nearly passed out both times lol!

To rehab the pec, ART is priceless, break the scar tissue and increase your ROM. Work to 4-5 boards at first, then 3 etc, then flies, not full range with 5lbs to start. Find out what bothers it and what doesnt. For me I could do inclines ok. Bring your grip IN as well. See a good sports ortho.

Semper Fi

Thanks Sgt Rock, I haven't injured it to that extreme yet fortunately. I want to make sure I do whatever is possible to never have that severe of an injury.

Rarely if EVER does anyone tear a pec with a semi close grip, something to keep in mind.

Semper Fi

Wannabebig Member
    Try inclines instead of flat press. Allow for recovery then work up to a heavy load again. I had similar issues, and using a slight incline has helped me to still bench and work around the shoulder issue. it seems odd to use an incline with the shoulder tie-in issue but I found them to help a bit. A well respected doctor (background in biomechanics) has explained to me that the should is in a more stable postion when incline pressing than flat pressing. You don't have to use a high incline. A 30 degree angle should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bailey View Post
    Try inclines instead of flat press. Allow for recovery then work up to a heavy load again. I had similar issues, and using a slight incline has helped me to still bench and work around the shoulder issue. it seems odd to use an incline with the shoulder tie-in issue but I found them to help a bit. A well respected doctor (background in biomechanics) has explained to me that the should is in a more stable postion when incline pressing than flat pressing. You don't have to use a high incline. A 30 degree angle should be good.
    I would agree with this. I have a similar pec/delt and shoulder issue with my left shoulder and I can do inclines much more easily than flat presses.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!