The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Cut or bulk?

Cut or bulk?

Hi everyone I am new here. I am currently 5"11 and 173 pounds. I was just wondering if you think I should cut or bulk? My ultimate goal is to have abs; nice abs. I am worried that bulking will take me further from my goal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Okla.2A State Track Champs weasel's Avatar
    I'm currently about that size and I'm cutting , but it's all personal prefrence of what you overall want to do and look like. I wrestle at 189 so I cant really go under 171(it's a weight to) and i couldn't bulk over 189 so I plan to cut to 171 and start pileing on lean muscle till it hit about 187-188
    Last edited by weasel; 06-23-2008 at 01:39 AM.
    “Your chances of success in any undertaking can always be measured by your belief in yourself.” - Robert Collier

My vote is bulk.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

Looks like there is very little muscle on that frame, I say bulk.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Banned
    Nothing to cut yet. Eat very clean and lift heavy for 2 years. Then worry about abs.

Banned
    Eat.

Nothing to cut? Look at the belly and the love handles!! lol. Recently I have enjoyed doing ~40 mins of HIIT (I know I can't believe I am saying it too); so I am a little sad I will have to stop to bulk. Truth is I don't really want to get bigger; I just want to lose the fat and still maintain the (little) muscle I have now if not gain a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ElayneTrakand View Post
    Nothing to cut? Look at the belly and the love handles!! lol. Recently I have enjoyed doing ~40 mins of HIIT (I know I can't believe I am saying it too); so I am a little sad I will have to stop to bulk. Truth is I don't really want to get bigger; I just want to lose the fat and still maintain the (little) muscle I have now if not gain a little bit.
    i agree. Look at that belly! Lose 10 lbs then bulk. Maybe 15.

I'd say lose weight by doing lots of cardio and watching diet. After that I'd try to add some bulk and then cut.

Generally, it seems that most people that bother to ask that question really want to cut, whether they are conscious of it or not. They end up doing a half-ass bulk where not a lot happens for months on end because they are afraid to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    Generally, it seems that most people that bother to ask that question really want to cut, whether they are conscious of it or not. They end up doing a half-ass bulk where not a lot happens for months on end because they are afraid to eat.
    What are you suggesting then? I honestly don't know whether I am bulking or cutting because I still live at home (lucky me) and I eat whatever my mom makes for me. Well for dinner anyways. And because it's Chinese food it's really hard to say how much calories are in it. So I just try to avoid the obvious fatty foods. Actually I don't even know what my maintenance calories is. I just eat every couple hours.
    Last edited by ElayneTrakand; 06-23-2008 at 11:46 PM.

What are you suggesting then?
    I think that most people that aren't sure would be better off by cutting first. You look pretty thin to me, but I'm used to being fat.

I believe what he was trying to say is you don't have a lot of muscle, so a cut wouldn't really benefit you because you have nothing to bring out by cutting. I say do a small bulk and put on a bit of muscle and then cut. Definitely figure out your diet first, though.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

What are you suggesting then? I honestly don't know whether I am bulking or cutting because I still live at home (lucky me) and I eat whatever my mom makes for me. Well for dinner anyways. And because it's Chinese food it's really hard to say how much calories are in it. So I just try to avoid the obvious fatty foods. Actually I don't even know what my maintenance calories is. I just eat every couple hours.
    i know it can be hard for you younger guys living at home, but you really need to get your diet sorted out. how you go about that is up to you. start tracking your cals on fitday. that will be the key for you.

if i were you i wouldn't really worry about bulking or cutting right now. find your maintenance cals, just hit that everyday and work hard in the gym. you're new at this, you should be able to make some gains while losing some bodyfat with this approach.
    Last edited by RBB; 06-24-2008 at 07:33 AM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Thank you all for the replies. Apparently my maintenance calories is around 3000. Yesterday I kind of semi-tracked my calories (as best as I could) and I am no where near that. Yet I wasn't starving myself or anything and I was eating regularly so I never felt hungry. Should I still try to hit my calorie count anyways?

I'm a little confused as to how you determined your maintenance through one day of tracking. Eat how you normally eat, don't even think the words bulk or cut right now, and just track for about a week or so, and take the average.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

Oops sorry. My regular eat is around 2000 while my maintenance (according to various internet sources) is 3000.

Okay today I am actually counting for real:

9:15 - 4/3 cups of Quick oats: 600 calories, 24g protein, 108g carbs, 10g fat
    11:15 - protein shake + 1/2 banana: 166 calories, 25g protein, 13g carb, 3g fat
    2:30 - tuna, shake, + almonds: 493 calories, 59g protein, 29g carb, 19g fat

That's already over 1200 calories and I'm supposed to eat 1.5x more?? Damn.

Oops sorry. My regular eat is around 2000 while my maintenance (according to various internet sources) is 3000.
    Keep in mind that "various internet sources" are almost always wrong - I'm with the peanut gallery here, bro. I'll be honest with you here.

You do not have a lot of muscle definition (hey, we all start somewhere!). Cutting and bulking is NOT what you need to be worried about now. Eat sensible choices without worrying about the calorie intake for now, and get to a gym 3-4x a week and do heavy compound exercises. If you want, throw in a tiny bit of sensible cardio (either play some basketball, tennis, swim, run HIIT for like 10 minutes, etc.). Check back in 6 months and then you can worry about the finer points of bulking and cutting. Until then, just get to a gym and you'll have fantastic results.

Oh, and one more thing - if you were doing FOURTY minutes of HIIT, you are doing something wrong. There's no way (unless you're a complete Olympic-level beast unit) that you can mix up sprinting and jogging for fourty minutes unless you're sprinting for 5 seconds at a time, every 10 minutes If I were you and interested in HIIT, I would up the intensity a little... that being said, you don't need to worry about cardio for cutting yet. Get to a gym and lift heavy.

EDIT : one more last thing - it doesn't matter WHAT ethnic cuisine you're eating - there are always healthy choices. What kind of Chinese food do you eat at home? Can your mom make gongbao jiding? Chicken and peanuts (go light on the oil) sounds like a pretty solid meal choice to me...
    Last edited by McIrish; 06-24-2008 at 04:28 PM.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Run at 10.0 mph for 15 seconds and walk at 3.5mph for 15 seconds. I used to go at 12.0 mph for 15 seconds, but I wouldn't be able to last more than 15-20 mins.

keep doing the HIIT if you enjoy it. Eat enough so that you're gaining a little bit of weight each week and you'll reach ur goal (having abs) without looking like a twig and not having to cut for too long.

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Brendan
    yeahh, bulk. You can bulk without gaining a ton of fat though. Just look up the difference between "clean bulking", and "dirty bulking". Will take longer to bulk, but you'll look better while you're doing it.

Wannabebig Member
    I'd bulk up a bit before cutting if I were you. Then if you're uncomortable with your fat doa little cut, but I really don't think youre fat enough for a cut.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Eat.
    ^^^^^^^^^

If your goal is abs and not being a monster I would look for more of a steady recomp. Based off the picture your new to lifting (or at least seriously lifting) so you can bend some of the rules at first. I'd take advantage of the newb gains on a short and CONTROLLED bulk (aka don't do a feeding frenzy everyday) then start to cut down. If YOU feel too small during the cut start building some more muscle.

As others have said your going to have to put a lot of effort into your food selections. How and what you eat is just as important as your lifting, more in my opinion.
    My Journal - Taking Back What is Mine
    5'11" 204 lbs
    Recovering from 2 fractured vertebrae and thyroid cancer