Thread: Meniscus Tear?

Meniscus Tear?

Hi,

Im just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar to this and if so what is it?....

Everytime i squat with or without weight, there is a loud grissley tearing noise from the inside of my right knee. It does not cause me any pain as such but it sounds awful. I havent experienced any loss of strength but i cannot run long distance as it gets very painful. As I said it hasnt been sore during heavy weight training so im not losing sleep over it.

Any advice suggestions much appreciated.

bone crusher
    creaky noises are normal. do you have any restricted motion of your knee (ie cant extend it past a certain point?)

I'm no doctor of course but my medial meniscus is torn and I can definitely feel the pain and it is unstable too. Also it's swelling a bit. All knee injuries are different of course but maybe you just don't have much cartilage in there and it's not actually a torn meniscus? As usual gettin it checked with a doctor is best.
    My Journal My FatDay

Thanks nate and doc for replies.
    I dont have any restriction of movement and it doesnt become painful unless i run. I have kept all cardio eccliptical and non impact so it hasnt caused me any bother. I have been told previously as well that its most likely that the cartilage has worn away. I might just get it checked out.
    thanks again!
    The average is the borderline that keeps mere men in their place. Those who step over the line are heroes by the very
    act. Go. - H. Rollins

A friend of mine had a serious meniscus tear while playing sports, and while he was able to continue playing (and further injure it!), there was a considerable amount of pain. With all the movement and strength you still seem to have, I bet it's just some loose or worn down cartilage.

Usually the meniscus problems come along with something in the ACL or MCL also.

Thanks for info. I really think it is a cartlidge issue (or lack of). Nothing much i can do about i suppose. As long as there is no pain im happy enough.
    The average is the borderline that keeps mere men in their place. Those who step over the line are heroes by the very
    act. Go. - H. Rollins

Is the pain when running isolated just to that one knee? Is the pain always isolated to the knee's medial side? If so, it does sound a little suspicious for a meniscus problem.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

I have had a tear of my medial meniscus.

You have a medial and lateral on each knee.

Medial on the insider and lateral on the outside.

A very common injury for sportsmen.

The only way to be sure is by an MRI scan.

I had mine removed, as it was nadgered lol. I am lifting fine at the moment , but will suffer in time with arthur ... ha ha
    Quote Originally Posted by Bendthe Bar View Post
    Hi,

Im just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar to this and if so what is it?....

Everytime i squat with or without weight, there is a loud grissley tearing noise from the inside of my right knee. It does not cause me any pain as such but it sounds awful. I havent experienced any loss of strength but i cannot run long distance as it gets very painful. As I said it hasnt been sore during heavy weight training so im not losing sleep over it.

Train,train hard.Eat,eat lots and sleep even more.

Likes to lick windows bigred1974's Avatar
    Ive torn my meniscus in half and tore my mcl. what you are decribing is just ordinary knee noises. When you tear your meniscus, trust me youll know its f'd up.
    6-6 288 lbs 33 yo 20 % bodyfat

Don't you ****ing dare, woman. He needs to keep batting for the pink team so he can keep dispensing fashion advice and such. If you cure him, he turns into a regular color blind tard-ass tripod-Viking-- this was regarding TwiloMike. RIP guy.

Im gona have to start wearing wrist wraps just to wipe lol- Hatred

Quote Originally Posted by bigred1974 View Post
    Ive torn my meniscus in half and tore my mcl. what you are decribing is just ordinary knee noises. When you tear your meniscus, trust me youll know its f'd up.

If you've torn anything in your knee it would be fairly painful and unstable to some degree. I tore my ACL and I was able to walk, but I knew immediately it was messed up. I hear Meniscus tears are worse. I have the same thing as you, no issues lifting, just some creaking. I would get it checked out, but if it isn't hampering you much, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Anyone had meniscus repair surgery? It's been over a week but it still hurts where it did before the surgery. Wonderin if that's normal.
    My Journal My FatDay

Quote Originally Posted by Bendthe Bar View Post
    Hi,

I had the same problem when I first started lifting again after 5 or so years, I just assumed my joints needed to catch up to the load and lube up so to speak. it eventually went away. though if i run long distances in old shoes next time i lift i get the sensation again. moral of the story: if you run (consistantly), buy new shoes every 3 months like they suggest, if you just lift, warm up first.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.