The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Pitching Faster

Pitching Faster

I've gotta gain stamina for next year and some velocity on my fastball and i know theres gotta be some exercises that can help me, and i need to know some and what muscles should i work?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

What does your coach have to say about it?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Work in Progress
    My buddy played baseball. He said forearm strength has a lot to do with it. Probably also the rotator cuff.
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)

Banned
    yea i also play baseball, atleast i used to until i broke my knuckles. anyway, its forearm/shoulders/rear delt for the most part. also helps to have strong legs...

What exercises are good for rear delts? I workout my forearms and shoulder quite a bit though.

Quote Originally Posted by McCormicK407 View Post
    What exercises are good for rear delts? I workout my forearms and shoulder quite a bit though.
    First, don't think like this. You're thinking in terms of bodyparts, and not performance, which is completely counterproductive for you.

In all sports everybody benefits most simply by building a solid strength base for the first 9-12months or so. Beyond that, I have absolutely no idea what type of training specificity would be required for pitching... talk to a pitching coach.

Wannabebig Member
    Here is a link I just found real quick on google. If you search for "Jobes workout" Im sure you'll find many more. They are basically super low weight (5 lbs) high rep exercises for your shoulder. Here is the link I found, it has some pictures of some good exercises:

http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/pitching_workouts.htm

And, like doing a bench press or deadlift, I would make sure your mechanics are rock-solid first. Using your legs more effectively or generating more torque would probably benefit you more than just getting stronger.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

1) Longtoss
    2) Jogging
    3) Squats

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

definitely long toss. Also as far as lifting goes, core and lower body will help with velocity. You never see a pitcher with skinny legs.

Wannabebig Member
    I played college baseball and I was a pitcher freshman and sophomore years before moving to the outfield.

First, definately longtoss and work on getting a full range of motion when you throw. I've even practiced throwing the ball as high as I can in addition to how far.

Second, you need to have a strong core and legs. All the force from pitching comes from the ground so you need to have strong legs to push, then a strong core to turn your body so you get your arm set up in the proper release point. So train you abs and legs to get them strong.

Finally, you need armstrength. We always trained with resistance bands that would provide resistance on both parts of the movement. You can try stepping on the band and doing lateral raises to the front and side and 45 degrees between front and side. Then you can tie the end of the band to a bedpost or door knob and hold it with your elbow at your side flex your arm into your body then turn the other way and start how the last exercise ended and take the band away from your body. You can also step on the band and do overhead tricep extensions.

Things to avoid are using too much weight. For pitching you don't want big bulky muscles you want long muscles so keep the weight low and reps high. Just some rules I was told, never researched to see if they were true or not but for pitching when doing lateral raises keep the weight no higher than 8-10 lbs. and if you need more resistance use the bands or do more reps. I was also told not to do overhead pressing exercises like OH DB press or shoulder presses because it can put too much pressure on the joints needed for throwing and can reduce flexibility.
    Journal: randommetalguy's Training Log
    Goal: 1,000 lb combined weight of big three by May 14, 2011
    Current: Flat bench press 195, Squat: 315, Dead lift: 265, Total (as of 03/01/11): 775

Wonder if anyones invented a weighted hardball for practice.. Anyways I personally find forearm and shoulder strength important, I used to pitch in highschool but after not throwing a ball for about 1 year my forearms killed me for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by randommetalguy View Post
    ...Just some rules I was told, never researched to see if they were true or not...
    Sounds about right. High reps won't give you longer muscles. High weight, low weight, your attachment points will stay in the same spot no matter what, the only thing that will change is the size of the muscle. Bigger muscles will always help, forget what you've been told. As long as you stretch to keep your ROM you will be fine.

I know it's been stated a couple of times, but definitely don't overlook the lower body.

Oh yeah I forgot the most important thing...MECHANICS. All the strength in the world won't help if your mechanics aren't good. I took pitching lessons from a minor league guy (now plays in the major league for the cardinals) and it was the best thing I've ever done as far as improving as a pitcher.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

strong legs
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 190

Louisville's NE YMCA

dude, just do the wbb, eat, lift and sleep and do lots of deadlifts 4 forearms and u will b faster n stronger!!! trust me