The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

First time pics need some direction

ive been lifting for about a month n a half with some cardio, ive so far lost about 10lbs from eating less/ healthier and ive seen a little progress in my arms and back since ive started

im 18 and im 5'10" and 154lbs

img79.imageshack. --- us/img79/9051/1002550aj6.jpg

img505.imageshack. ---- us/img505/9786/1002559rf6.jpg

img293.imageshack. ---- us/img293/990/1002556pn3.jpg

img147.imageshack. --- us/img147/4342/1002560lj0.jpg

what does my BF% look like?

what should i be doing to cut my BF% down to 10-12%

i worked out 3-4X a week with 10min of running before and 15 min afterwards but haven't been working out in the last couple weeks at all, but im getting back into it. Im wanting to loose alot of the fat on my chest and stomach but still keep and gain muscle all around, ive been taking a serving creatine an hour before i work out and a serving protein before and after i do

you guys have any suggestions about things i should be doing better? more cardio and less calories? i know you cant select areas to burn fat off of but what are some good fat burn exercises?

and if you got any workout routines you guys could share please tell me, or some good ways to burn fat and keep muscle

thanks
    Last edited by boosters; 08-05-2008 at 02:58 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

errr pics dont work mate

Wannabebig Member
    you gotta take out the ----, it wouldnt let me post pics

you need 10 posts before you post links or pictures
    Last edited by cphafner; 08-05-2008 at 05:46 PM.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Fixed all but last since it's huge.
    Last edited by berfles; 08-05-2008 at 07:07 PM.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

don't worry about what your bf% is right now. take a look at the wbb routines and start one of them up. keep your cals around maintenance level and you should make some nice newbie gains while leaning out a bit.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    what should i do for cardio before and after though?

Take it from me, you don't need to lose weight your skinny as it is.

..But if thats what you want to do..

You should do a weight program one day with a 20min jog-run after..and on your off days (every other day) you should run something called HIIT. Look it up, it works wonders.

Wannabebig Member
    i dont want to loose weight, im wanting to loose the fab on my stomach and chest

Quote Originally Posted by boosters View Post
    i dont want to loose weight, im wanting to loose the fab on my stomach and chest
    harder said than done... some say impossible. find a routine based around squatting, ie:

Squat
    Row
    Flat Press

DL
    OH Press
    Pullup

Front Squat
    SLDL
    OPTION- what ever you need- for example, stability problems- do some weighted ab work. lockout problems- do some dips etc...

and EAT boy!
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    i was going to start doing the HIIT every 2 days with running full out for 30 seconds then walking for 90 then over again with 8 sets and every week go up in sets, how well does HIIT work? it sounds like it would really help alot

Boost, first, it's a pet peeve of mine, but please please please realize that you cannot "loose" weight, you have to "lose" it. Second, you really do not need to worry about losing weight right now. You need to worry about getting more athletic and working out hard - the weight will come in time. I know you might think that you have some saggy weight around the pecs/abs, but you do not also have a huge muscular frame under all that, so priority number one should be overall athleticism, not worrying about sprinting till you puke to lose another 5 lbs.

If I were you (and I was in your exact shoes about 3 years ago), I would lift up heavy objects and put them back down, approximately 3-4x a week, with a routine that focuses on compound exercises (squats, deadlifts, bench, overhead press, cleans, jerks, pull-ups, military press, etc.) as per ZenMonkey's recommendation. If you like, you can also incorporate some aspect of high intensity interval training into your split on a once or twice a week basis, but I would not make that the focus of your routine by any means.

Second (and please do not take this the wrong way), but I can almost guarantee that your diet needs a little tuning. What are you eating on a daily basis? I would probably guess (just based on your physique) that it is a) not the right foods and b) not enough of them. When you're lifting heavy, you'll need good quality food to get your body growing (in the right ways). Think lean meat, whole grains, fish, nuts, eggs, vegetables, milk, protein shakes (if you so choose for sake of convenience), olive oil, oats, peanut butter, chicken breasts, etc. That's pretty much my menu right there. Mix and match, the possibilities are endless.

Come back here with some updated pictures after you've hit the weights HARD. Lift heavy ass weights for somewhere in the range or 5-10 reps (everyone will disagree on how many you should be doing per set, but find the sweet spot that works for you) and keep your routine simple and focused on big exercises with good form. Get squatting and we'll see you when you're back here with a big ass and thick shoulders like boulders. Welcome to the boards, too.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Wannabebig Member
    thanks dude, any advice is good advice

im just going to get at it then ill have new pics in a few months

Wannabebig Member
    someone give me the basics on how to build muscle mass? eat the hell out of everything and lift heavy 5-10 reps? do less cardio, maybe HIIT 2 times a week?

how many calories should i be eating a day? i work out almost every day (chest and biceps one day, shoulders,triceps and back one day, legs and stomach the last)
    at least 5 times a week

im only taking in around 1800-2300 calories a day
    Last edited by boosters; 08-08-2008 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by boosters View Post
    someone give me the basics on how to build muscle mass? eat the hell out of everything and lift heavy 5-10 reps? do less cardio, maybe HIIT 2 times a week?

how many calories should i be eating a day? i work out almost every day (chest and biceps one day, shoulders,triceps and back one day, legs and stomach the last)
    at least 5 times a week

The basics of building muscle mass are pretty easy - your body reacts to stimuli (in this case, micro tears in muscle fiber caused by lifting up heavy ass pieces of iron) by rebuilding itself stronger (hence, thicker fuller musculature). For your body to grow, it's a really simple formula. Lifting enough + eating enough = getting bigger.

You lift weights, causing muscle tears (which your body would want to fix). You are in a caloric surplus, so your body rebuilds the muscle using the food (energy) you just provided. You get big and beefy and all the ladies want your stuff. It's simple You could track every single thing you eat over hte course of a week or two and then try to manually increase calories from there, or you could eat the house down and expect moderate fat gain to go along with it. The choice is entirely yours (and to each his own).

You should NOT be working out every day. Only lift up heavy ass weights or do HIIT probably somewhere in the range of 3 or 4 times per week - your body will not magically get larger while you're at the gym, it will grow when you're resting. Three or 4 times per week should be plenty to provide it with the necessary stimulus to grow, unless...

Quote Originally Posted by boosters

Well, I was right with my guess - you're not eating enough. I'm going to hazard a guess that your routine is too focused on short, small-range isolation exercises, too (curls, tricep kickbacks, anything on a smith machine ). Make these accessory to the big exercises (as I'd outlined before, think squats, deadlifts, military presses, bench, pull-ups, hangs, cleans, hang cleans, jerks, hang clean jerk squats, you get the picture...). Since you're going to be rocking your body HARD only a few days a week, you will need calories to induce muscle growth.

If I were doing it again (and in your shoes, as I was three years ago like I said), I would keep it simple. Lift heavy objects. Eat lots of healthy food. Enjoy cheat meals from time to time with friends (pizza and beer is fine as long as you don't have it 7 nights a week, you get me? go enjoy LIFE and then find a way to get your diet in there too). It's not rocket science - all it takes is a little planning, patiences, and time. Hit it, bro.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Health goals

Oh, one last piece of advice - this one is kinda a personal choice, and take it or leave it. I recommend not splitting up your exercise by "body parts" (eg., Chest on mondays, back on tuesdays, etc.) but by splitting it up by movements. There is no way to do a "chest" exercise that only hits chest - your body is a machine with MANY moving parts, so it really doesn't make sense to try to isolate one of them. Hell, EVERYTHING you do with chest (bench press, etc.) also uses your lats as an accessory. That's why I recommend splitting it up by movements... try bench pressing heavy one day and doing rows or something on the same day and you'll see pretty good results (again, provided that you're eating enough).

Might I recommend reading this - great workout routine with enough variety to keep you coming back for more. http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=255
    25 years old, 5'10''

Health goals

Wannabebig Member
    Hah, man. You make me feel like a lard ass when you call yourself fat.

You're a freakin twig.