The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: chest routine

Wannabebig Member

chest routine

well i have a physical for the police department coming up, (early September) and I must admit I have gotten out of shape the last several years....

I need to bench 200 in one rep, which I thought I could have done easily, but I maxed out at about 175.

I am going to simply work out chest/triceps until this test is over, I was thinking twice a week? what routine should I use

NOTE: when I was lifting regularly and doing full body, my chest days would be 3X10 on
    flat db
    incline db
    decline db
    flys
    skullcrushers
    triceps pulldowns

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Rippetoe's. You'll be there in a month, 6 weeks at most.

Wannabebig Member
    you mean this workout?
    w w w . forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=712752

that seems like it will build up my whole body and I will be putting on mass...which in turn means I will have to bench more (you must bench your weight rounded up) -->I weigh about 200

Then make sure a caloric excess is not present.

This is a much better writeup, as it's more detailed and less bastardized than that bbdotcom one.

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for all the help...i must admit that i am not in the best shape of my life right now, but I did lift religiously in highschool and semi religiously in college...

as for this rippetoe workout, it seems almost two easy...a few sets of a few lifts and your done?

EDIT: While I have not been training that frequently (a few weeks on, fall out of it for a week or two.... I feel as if this is geared more towards beginners....am I wrong?)
    Last edited by sandcracker21; 06-26-2008 at 11:19 PM.

This is indeed a novice program. We define a trainees level of adaptation by the rate at which they are able to make progress, not by their absolute strength. So try not to take offense to the term--a novice may not necessarily be weak, but rather they're called such because they are quite capable of making progress every single workout, an intermediate trainee will progress perhaps once a week, and so forth.

Wannabebig Member
    i feel i am more in the intermediate category...will this still work for me?

once again my ONLY goal is to get my bench max up 20-30 pounds in about 2 months

You're free to wait for other opinions, but yes, this will work, and it will get you there in the timeframe specified. Take your multivitamins, fish oil, gets lots of sleep, and all that jazz to ensure adequate recovery, and don't overeat so you don't get too much bigger.

Wannabebig Member
    Well i will give it a shot then...

i was reading that wiki you gave me....but a lot of the lingo in the 'intermediate' section went over my head lol

is there any small tweaks i can make to make it more 'intermediate' such as maybe 3X5 on all workouts? or some suplimentary lifts after it all?
    or should i just leave well enough alone?
    Last edited by sandcracker21; 06-26-2008 at 11:51 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    sorry for the double post, but i understand that it is suppose to be done monday / wednsday / friday....but will it matter if I start tomorrow and do friday / sunday / tuesday??

given that I go out to the bars with my buddies a lot on the weekends, will this effect my gains? should i just hold off till monday? I dont think it will make a difference, but I feel I should ask

Wannabebig Member
    The bars will depend on what you are like, a few lite beers wont help or even a gin and tonic! (dont know if you drink that were you are) but drinking heavily overthe weekend will hinder your performance, it is all calories and none of it is particulary good for you.

I used to drink wednesday, friday, saturday and some on a sunday i have cut down to 2 pints on wed, none on friday or sunday and 5 on sat and it has worked a lot better!!

Wannabebig Member
    its just that i dont think I will even be sore after this...in fact its less lifting than I was previously doing...

Do what you want then. Whatever.