Thread: Starting Strength Routine

Starting Strength Routine

So I just started the SS routine (w w w . forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=712752) last week and workout A and B both have squats which means doing them every other day, and I feel like my legs dont have time to recover before my next workout. I thought about doing less weight but then I wouldn't feel like i was getting enough of a workout. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by mike42506; 06-26-2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: To add link

I did SS for a while until all the heavy squatting started to get to me. My hips felt bad all the time especially after squatting. I think it was a combo of squatting heavy 3x a week and not having very good form.

I switched to doing lighter speed squats (if you're familiar with Westside, think of it as kind of a DE squat) on bench/deadlift day. That way I was still squatting heavy 1-2 times a week. I don't stick to that like I should but when I am consistent with it my squats feel great.

Really work on form, as my form improves my recovery time and overall endurance improve.

edit: note that at that point you really aren't doing SS anymore. I'm not sure how important that is to you. I decided it wasn't that important to me.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 06-26-2008 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    I did SS for a while until all the heavy squatting started to get to me. My hips felt bad all the time especially after squatting. I think it was a combo of squatting heavy 3x a week and not having very good form.

I switched to doing lighter speed squats (if you're familiar with Westside, think of it as kind of a DE squat) on bench/deadlift day. That way I was still squatting heavy 1-2 times a week. I don't stick to that like I should but when I am consistent with it my squats feel great.

Really work on form, as my form improves my recovery time and overall endurance improve.

edit: note that at that point you really aren't doing SS anymore. I'm not sure how important that is to you. I decided it wasn't that important to me.
    Thanks. I'll definitly pay more attention on my form next time. Also I am gonna start stretching more instead of just strenching before my workout.

my legs hurt bad when i started as well, i was walking funny it was so bad. about 2 weeks in i had no problems. does'nt hurt the next day a all. I do them 4x a week.