The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Banned

Annihilating plateaus...

Can you please make a list of ways to avoid plateaus? Plateaus that prevents us from adding poundage to our lifts. They're despicable!

Louie Simmons have suggested switching ME exercises every week. It has worked quite well for me. He also stated that the conjugate method prevents you from reaching a plateau. HOWEVER! one of his friends who trains at westside by the name of Matt Dimell has once reached a plateau in his squat. That is shocking if you think about it because Louie's methods are all about progressing and progressing and progressing....... Matt has fortunately broken through his plateau by doing a special exercise that he called "dimel deadlifts."

Aside from switching your exercises, doing speed work, adding bands/chains, doing extra RE and all sorts of stuff, what other things that can avoid you from reaching a plateau??? Things that can bring up a 1050 pound bench press (Ryan Kennelly!!) into 1500! lol. Are there still ways out there that are still unseen by Louie? Or are they all discovered? I wanna know...
    Last edited by TheSeeker; 07-02-2008 at 04:32 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Do that voodoo that he do
    Plateaus happen to everybody. That's why you don't have normal gym rats, or anybody, benching 1500.

Changing programs is one method of avoiding a plateau. Deloading, increasing work, decreasing work, altering tempo/load, altering recovery methods, changing diet/supplementation, etc are all other ways of getting through a plateau.

You're 16. Chances are that if you're putting forth great effort and taking the occasional break you won't plateau for a long time. You're very young as far as real and training age. I've met very few progress problems from a 16 year-old that can't be fixed by a couple of days off and/or more food.

At this point in the game, you shouldn't worry about what's worked for Matt Dimel, Travis Mash, Dave Tate, Andy Bolton, Ryan Kennelly, or any other big lifter. Other than a passing interest it simply doesn't apply to you. They use all of the advanced techniques because the basics have plateaued for them. You need to focus on the basics before utilizing advanced techniques.

As a side note I've found that most young lifters do better sticking with a ME exercise for 3-5 weeks before switching it up rather than just a single week. At this point you don't have the neurological efficiency to exhaust that movement in one week and you'll be able to make progress for several. The more progress you can make in one lift the more likely you'll be to increase your strength across the board.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Nothing is new to Louie. He knows all

lol I'm kidding of course, Lou is always looking to learn something new as are the rest of us. Lately he's been doing alot of prehab stuff with the bench (db benching, kettelbell benching, pec deck) that I've been doing as well and notice it works great for keeping me fresh.

its hard to specifically say what you can do and you'll never ever hit a plateau. they are a little different for everyone

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Ok, now you are making me narky.

YOU WILL NMOT PLATEU AT THIS AGE. THE END>
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Banned
    Thanks alot guys. Yall did a great job....

Anyway, all I really have to do is to do some basic **** and I'll keep on progressing? SWEEEEEEETTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...I still wanna talk to Louie. Hey Travis Bell, do you know his phone number and email address???

Quote Originally Posted by TheSeeker View Post
    Thanks alot guys. Yall did a great job....

Anyway, all I really have to do is to do some basic **** and I'll keep on progressing? SWEEEEEEETTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...I still wanna talk to Louie. Hey Travis Bell, do you know his phone number and email address???
    Oh good god! Last thing Louie wants is some kid ringing him up.

You do not need to talk to Louie SImmons!!!! JUST SHUT UP AND LIFT.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Oh good god! Last thing Louie wants is some kid ringing him up.

You do not need to talk to Louie SImmons!!!! JUST SHUT UP AND LIFT.
    Yeah, nevermind then....

Thanks for the help everybody! Especially you Borris! You pretty much clarified everything to me. This will be my last post in this thread.

Seeker you are one of the weakest trolls I have seen in a long, long time. Rock or Mason ought to show you the door.