The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Jut finished my first "Rippetoe workout"

Hey all this is my first post here, I just started the Rippetoe workout,which is quite a departure from my normal training routine of circuit training. It seems while I was losing some weight with that, I wasn't really making any strength or size gains.

I'm about 5'11", 245 lbs.

For the lifts today, not including warmups, my Squat was 205, my bench was 175, and my Dead lift was 135. which I know sounds low but I had a serious back injury a couple years ago and still suffer from quite a bit of pain.

I have a couple questions about the routine.

I don't have room to do military presses as I lift in a basement with little overhead clearance. Can anyone suggest a suitable substitute?

Also I've struggled with this for a long time, but the left half of my upper body does seem to be as strong or big as my right side. How can I address this?

Where does cardio fit in to this routine? If I do this 3 times a week fitting in cardio two or three times a week shouldn't be a problem. Is this going to affect muscle growth?
    Thanks in advance. I look forward to posting here.
    Last edited by dasfonzie; 06-29-2008 at 04:01 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

you could keep one bar somewhere else for m press'

I have the same issue, since i also workout in my basement. I just do them sitting down.

As for having a weaker left side, try doing your bench press with dumbbells instead of a barbell.

I don't incorporate any cardio, but i doubt it will effect your muscle growth.
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 140lbs June 2012
    DL:
    Squat:
    Bench:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...54#post2084154

There is no substitute for the press. Either cut holes in the ceiling, or do them outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    There is no substitute for the press. Either cut holes in the ceiling, or do them outside.
    Agreed. Go outside or somewhere with a higher ceiling, clean the weight up and do them.

Sound advice I suppose. I don't have enough weights for my dumb bells to do benches right now though. As a poor college student I think I'll have to ask for maybe an extra bar and some weights for my birthday. I could keep a bar in the garage for presses.

Is it normal to have the feet pointed outwards when doing an "ass to grass" squat?

Also it shouldn't be a stretch to substitute pull downs for a chin up right?
    Last edited by dasfonzie; 06-30-2008 at 12:37 AM.

Banned
    Seated overhead press is better than nothing, but standing is better. Try to find a way to do it. Most people have that kind of imbalance, but the longer you stick to the routine the more balanced you should get. Cardio should be HIIT style and try to do it on its own day.
    Yes it's ok for your feet to point woutwards and no a pulldown is not a good substitute for chinups. If you can't do a full chinup work with negatives until you can.
    Also, if you're back so mangled that you can't deadlift more than 135, why is it that squatting 205 is ok? You should get that looked at.

I had it looked it when it happened. I tore the connective tissue from my lumbar to my hip on my right side. I probably could do more on the deadlift, but I'm afraid of re-injuring. I couldn't walk for the better part of a year. So it's not something I want to experience again.

Crap man that injury sounds awful, I commend you for even wanting to lift after something like that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dasfonzie View Post
    I had it looked it when it happened. I tore the connective tissue from my lumbar to my hip on my right side. I probably could do more on the deadlift, but I'm afraid of re-injuring. I couldn't walk for the better part of a year. So it's not something I want to experience again.
    ouch, that's quite severe. I would still suggest finding a good sports therapist....those guys work magic. Remember, these are the guys that get people with broken vertebrae to play as a linebacker again.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    ouch, that's quite severe. I would still suggest finding a good sports therapist....those guys work magic. Remember, these are the guys that get people with broken vertebrae to play as a linebacker again.
    That would be nice, but there's no way I can afford any kind of doctors visits until I get my degree. Delivering pizzas just doesn't rake the cash in like it used to :/

Muscle-belly injuries never recover outside of the context in which they're supposed to be used. Adaptation cannot and will not occur in the absence stress. It hurts more this way, but not deadlifting isn't at all beneficial.

Oh I know that. I tried "taking it easy" for a long time, but until I got off my butt and did some physical activity I could barely walk around. Granted the steroid program the doctor had me on helped a bit. I tried lifting without doing any kind of exercises that put strain on the lower back. IE I did leg extensions and curls instead of squats, and just completely ignored deadlifts. Since I've started deadlifting again, I've noticed definite strength gains in my back. The first few workouts were damn near terrifying, as my whole low back went numb and it was very hard to sit and stand, but a couple weeks into it, I've noticed that the pain I used to get from standing in one position at work all day doesn't come on like it used to. I have no problem walking, it's just being in stationary positions, whether it be sitting, standing, or even laying. If I could manage to sleep all night flat on my back I think it would help too, but I just can't... :\

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dasfonzie View Post
    I've noticed that the pain I used to get from standing in one position at work all day doesn't come on like it used to. :\
    well that's good Take it easy, add 5 lbs/week and you should be fine.
    Do you know why squatting heavy is ok? It all hits the lower back

do the presses from your knees if it'll work for you. I used to do those all the time.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    well that's good Take it easy, add 5 lbs/week and you should be fine.
    Do you know why squatting heavy is ok? It all hits the lower back
    I don't really know, I have always had very large/strong legs, maybe they're compensating for my weak back? The squat doesn't seem to fatigue my lower back that much though.

although I wouldn't want to deadlift before I squatted or anything

I took my deadlift up to 150 today. Starting from 80lbs and working my way up.

I on the last warmup and the 150lb set I took a page from Pavel Tsatsouline's book (literally) and tensed up all my muscles. That seemed to make it a little easier. According to him this is beneficial for strength gain as well.