The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How'd you all get started in Powerlifting

Just wondering what inspired some of you guys was it magazines strongmen on tv i mean what was it. Myself i used to read flex magazine and one day next to flex i seen i think it was a old muscle and fitness magazine or one of them and it had a article on Ed coan and the lifts he was doing blew my mind after that i started reading more and more and just really got into the sport so im just interested in hearing stories from some of you guys as to the how and why you guys got started in this sport and how it has helped you out to this day.me myself i think it has taught me better patience and it has taught me the never give up attitude it another words showed me what i am made of and what i can be.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    I honestly have no idea why but I was always into the idea of lifting weights since a pretty young age! I asked my mum to by me weights...but she didn't, she just thought it would pass...but it never! Then I eventually got her to buy me some weights when I was older then i started researching weightlifting and I found out about powerlifting, and here I am today! I can't really say I was inspired by anyone seeing as how I never knew about lifters like Andy Bolton, Ryan Kennelly, etc. ... I still don't really know about that many famous lifters...

I started lifting at 15 doing your basic curl jockey routine. Then one day my buddy who I thought was huge at the time, was doing romanian deadlifts. He taught me how to do them with proper form. Eventually I found this site and got interested in getting really strong. I started hitting the big 3 really hard and gaining weight, and it just never stopped from there. I started to care less and less about how big my biceps were, and more about my overall total, or hitting that deadlift PR. I've only competed once, but I plan to continue to compete and better myself for the rest of my life.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Banned
    Had always lifted weights for football since I was 14, and enjoyed it, but really never went anywhere with it. Then I went to college and started playing football, and had the distinct honor of having 3 world class powerlifters for strength coaches: Jim Wendler, Kevin Deweese, and J.L. Holdsworth. I went and watched Jim and Kevin lift in the 2002 IPA Iron House Classic, and was instantly hooked on PL. It was incredibly awesome...Saw Dave Tate bash his head open on a bar before squatting 900+ lbs. and spray blood everywhere in the process, it was all the 5 guys I went there with could talk about for the next several months.

After college I began lifting with Jim Laird (a one time top 5 in the 242's according to PLUSA's top 100) and began doing competitions. Have moved repeatedly for my career and have had the honor of training with some VERY strong folks. While I was in New England I got to train with a crew that included Disa Hatfield (fred's daughter) and Jen Perry, who have both represented team USA at the IPF worlds. And most recently I have met a OUTSTANDING crew of guys at 1-0-7 barbell, Ben Moore, Kevin "Reko" Rekowski, and Sean Hatley, it has definitely been my honor to train with such a fine group of individuals.

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    Quote Originally Posted by WillNoble View Post
    Had always lifted weights for football since I was 14, and enjoyed it, but really never went anywhere with it. Then I went to college and started playing football, and had the distinct honor of having 3 world class powerlifters for strength coaches: Jim Wendler, Kevin Deweese, and J.L. Holdsworth. I went and watched Jim and Kevin lift in the 2002 IPA Iron House Classic, and was instantly hooked on PL. It was incredibly awesome...Saw Dave Tate bash his head open on a bar before squatting 900+ lbs. and spray blood everywhere in the process, it was all the 5 guys I went there with could talk about for the next several months.

After college I began lifting with Jim Laird (a one time top 5 in the 242's according to PLUSA's top 100) and began doing competitions. Have moved repeatedly for my career and have had the honor of training with some VERY strong folks. While I was in New England I got to train with a crew that included Disa Hatfield (fred's daughter) and Jen Perry, who have both represented team USA at the IPF worlds. And most recently I have met a OUTSTANDING crew of guys at 1-0-7 barbell, Ben Moore, Kevin "Reko" Rekowski, and Sean Hatley, it has definitely been my honor to train with such a fine group of individuals.
    well, your stories more interesting than mine!

i liked squatting...and decided my joints and gut were too big to be bodybuilding...i'd always watched strongman on tv, started researching. i was already a member here, so i talked to some guys and here i am.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Started lifting at age 11 because I was fat and my brother was always pounding on me. My father trained me, showed me how to do all the exercises with good form and had me doing the typical 3 sets of 10 reps. I kept doing this until I got to highschool and got access to the internet, got into more bodybuilding type of workouts. Stuck with this through my sophmore year of college, was in good shape but decided that I would never put on a man-thong, grease myself up, and pose in front of other dudes for fun. I liked lifting heavy weights, so I started studying up on powerlifting, always had a natural proclivity for strength anyway. I stuck with the heavy lifting, and eventually talked Louie into letting me train at WSBB.

Great sories everyone to detard keep on competing sounds like your on the right track just keep at it as this sport will better you as a person and a lifter.Lol i hear you nick i never wanted to wear a man thong either standing on stage in front of a bunch of guys is not my style Lol! but i always wanted to get stronger i think thats why i started with reading flex and all of that cause i thought that those guys mustve been the strongest on the planet then i found out about powerlifting and needless to say im home Lol!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ_H View Post
    well, your stories more interesting than mine!

Yeah Ive been very fortunate to be around the folks that I have

I've always been into lifting heavy as opposed to lots of volume, so the transition was pretty natural. Even before I was training to do competitions, I was using the westside barbell template. This site and the people I train with have helped me tremendously though.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "F—k you and the Prowler you rode in on"

UPA Lousiana Chairman Eric Downey's Avatar
    I got in to PL by accident. I was on House of Pain web site and I decided for what ever reason to look at the events cal. I saw there was a meet about 5 mins from my house in like 3 weeks. I looked up the state record and saw that the 405 record was less than I was doing back then. So I barrowed a shirt (a 10 year old Ernie frantz DD) and smoked a 475 for a new 220 state record. I was bite by the iron bug after that. That's was in Jan 05. In June of 05 I hit 505 and then chased 600 for a few years B4 I found Kellum and his crew to train with. They have made me what I am today and are making better every week.
    CLASH FOR CASH RAW504 SEPT. 11, 2010 KENNER, LA CLICK FOR INFO
    Eric "BIG EZY" Downey
    RAW BENCH BEST: 523 Raw Unity 2010
    RAW UNITY VID
    RAW TOTAL BEST:534.5 - 507 - 556.5 1598 APA Raw Nationals 2010
    534 SQUAT
    507 BENCH
    556 DEADLIFT
    Facebook YOUTUBE

first time i saw someone deadlift... gave it a try picked up 405 @ 220... taught to myself im a natural....lol...
    Goal to deadlift 800lbs @ 242 before turning 23yrs old

road to a raw 1900 total
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=112006

question for ya'll
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...63#post1954663

I just always had a deep desire to be big and strong. This was tough because I am only 5'8" and was a hard gainer. However, I was always strong. I just never gave up on it. I heard of a powerlifting meet in my state so I decided to give it a shot. I bought some gear, figured it out on my own, and won. I haven't looked back since.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I always wanted to be big as well, but being 5'9" (similar to Vin haha) it wasn't always in the cards. I was 165lbs my senior year in highschool. Unfortunatly I had a stint with bbing, but eventually found a powerlifting meet in the area, bought a shirt, opened raw and won with the raw attempt. I kept eating and eating, and busting my butt to the point where I'm now 255 and have stayed there for the time being. I want to bench 800 at 242 and then I'll see what the weight wants to do. I go through periods where I can gain weight very easily, and then periods during the summer where I have an extremely difficult time keeping it on.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    Coach in high school got me started. Saw a guy double 705 at a Texas HS PL meet and was instantly hooked.

I trained through high school for football and then met up with a great friend and mentor in college who took me into strongman. Attained my goal of going Pro there and have since turned back to PL but in equipment now. I have the pleasure of training with a great group of guys in Will, Reko and Sean and we have a blast training. I hope to be doing this stuff late in life.

i was 2 skinny so i just started lifting weights and the wbb has been real helpful

My friend got me started. His junior year in high school he benched 315, it took me a while to appreciate what he did. I still remember the day he got his name on the wall at the school's weight room. Now I'm just trying to catch up to him.

My boyfriend (deeder) started doing it..... and me being the competitive sort I am decided that I wanted to do it too just so that way we could compare medals
    Stats:
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

Wannabebig New Member love 2 lift's Avatar
    Started bodybuilding with the "Arnold Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding" <as my guide" LOL, about 9 years ago. A few years back ran into some guys who powerlifted and started hitting it with them. I loved it. Currently training for a bench meet in Oct.
    Check out our gym web site 15thstreet gym

I've lifted weights since I was about 13 and kind of lost interest during my grade 12 year. I started back at it in my first year of university. I had never trained properly before. Mostly different variations of machine bench press and curls. I started researching bodybuilding training and did a couple of bodybuilding routines and a cut that got me to a nice and shredded 160lbs or whatever it was... I realized that dieting wasn't really my thing and started looking in to powerlifting. I found the Saskatchewan powerlifting website and hooked up with a guy through their forum. Trained with him a couple of times then did Provincials a few months later. I was hooked after that. I did 3 competitions in less than three months (including my first one).

I've now competed in 4 weight classes, hold 3 provincial records, and placed 2nd (75kg class) and 3rd (100kg class) at nationals.
    Last edited by deeder; 07-06-2008 at 11:59 PM.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

my good friend curt dennis saw the numbers i was moving in my everyday bodybuilding work and told me I should try powerlifting. It took forever for me to finally give it a try.. but I've never looked back. I owe than man my career..because without his nagging I'd have never gotten started. And here I am..having the most fun I've ever had training.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Banned
    Like Vinnie,I always wanted to be big and strong.Unfortunately,powerlifting is an underexposed sport.So in the late 80's early 90's,all I had were bodybuilders to look to,simply because I didnt know any powerlifters.So I bodybuilded for awhile until I got older and my metabolism,and goals changed.To me,powerlifting is more of an athletic endeavor than bodybuilding.Ive always been an athlete,so it was a marriage made in heaven.Plus I love the training.That,and I can have beer if I want.

Been lifting for 2 years.

My mate just won the bpo championship in march in england uk.
    I have decided to start training and give powerlifting a go.

I am enjoying it and my strength is flying up.

Need to do the odd session for reps to keep my endurance top end tho!
    Train,train hard.Eat,eat lots and sleep even more.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Mike View Post
    Like Vinnie,I always wanted to be big and strong.Unfortunately,powerlifting is an underexposed sport.So in the late 80's early 90's,all I had were bodybuilders to look to,simply because I didnt know any powerlifters.So I bodybuilded for awhile until I got older and my metabolism,and goals changed.To me,powerlifting is more of an athletic endeavor than bodybuilding.Ive always been an athlete,so it was a marriage made in heaven.Plus I love the training.That,and I can have beer if I want.
    At 1-0-7 Barbell, beer and training go hand in hand

Well, I started lifting weights when I was like 12 or something. I just did the basic curl jockey crap myself. I read a few books here and there on what I now know as "bodybuilding", but it was just a bunch of isolation exercises and crap, and I always neglected leg training.

I eventually read the book "The new rules of lifting" about 1 1/2 years ago, and it explained to me what a "compound exercise" was, and why they are so beneficial. I started squatting, deadlifting, GM'ing, etc.... while I was doing the NROL program. I was also eating right along with it. In a very short amount of time I started to be compared to a "brick wall" by my friends when they would mess around with me and push me or something. I really liked that. I always wanted to be "jacked", but being considered a "brick wall" was pretty damn cool.

I eventually found this site, which pointed me towards Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" (maybe 5 or 6 months ago). Due to an injury from squatting, I bought that book so I could learn how to squat properly. After reading his book I was convinced to follow his methods of training as well. Well, all his stuff is basically 3x5 with just the basic strength lifts including power cleans. I realized that I really like doing low rep, heavy training, and I'm also obsessed with power cleans. People comment on my strength a lot, which is pretty cool, but I don't realize that I'm actually as strong as they percieve me to be.

But whatever, I'm now obsessed with Squats, deadlifts, power cleans, benching and OH presses, and weighted pull-ups and chin-ups, and I'm always trying to go heavier each workout. I'm not actually training to be a powerlifter or a strongman or anything, but getting stronger has just became my hobby now rather then lifting to look better. Looking better just so happens to be a cool side-effect of strength training. Being able to throw my weak friends around when we are fighting is the best part of it all though.