Thread: Squatting barefoot

Squatting barefoot

Does anyone not use shoes when lifting? PArticularly squatting. The only shoes I have are workboots and some old "walking" shoes that are 40% superglue.

Are there any negative side affects to this?

If so what kind of shoes do you recommend?

converse chuck taylors or something are popular for squatting. i dont think theres negative effects of going barefoot other than it may feel awkward for a while and you may have to tone the weight down a bit.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Banned
    I like squatting barefoot.I feel more grounded.But my feet start to kill me at night.Try it for awhile.Arnold and those guys back in the day use to do it.

That's how I've done it for as long as I've been lifting. I just read recently though that it was bad for your joints or something. I've never had any problems, though. So I thought I'd ask

i've always squatted barefooted. it feels better to me. When i'm using a sneaker, i use http://www.omarskicks.com/images/Puma-011-1.jpg They feel really comfy to me.
    deadlifts-320(5)
    squats-355(5)
    bench-275(5)
    still doing 5x5

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    converse chuck taylors or something are popular for squatting. i dont think theres negative effects of going barefoot other than it may feel awkward for a while and you may have to tone the weight down a bit.
    Everyone says this but i never knew why it is better to wear a thin loose shoe like chuck taylors?
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by mike42506 View Post
    Everyone says this but i never knew why it is better to wear a thin loose shoe like chuck taylors?
    i believe its for the same reason squatting barefoot is kind of good for you. they have a flat sole and offer very little ankle or foot support so when you squat its the most natural you can get while still wearing a shoe. i think all in all it gives the most natural way to squat while also providing cushion for the bottom of your feet. someone with knowledge correct me if i'm wrong.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

I dont know if its just me, but I find it harder to get really low when barefoot. However im not discounting it in any way. Just my own experience.
    Even the 1/2 inch or more that an average training shoe lifts your heel makes a serious difference when going deep. I do know that depth will ultimately depend on your hamstring/glute flexibility more so.

I think it is a case of, the less fancy the shoe, the better. (by fancy i mean shox, gel, air or whatever......incorporated in the heel). The softer the heel, the more movement occurs. There really isnt much to those canvas type chuck taylor shoes so using them would be as close to barefoot as possible without entering the gym shoeless.

I prefer a slight lift. Wouldnt go as far as using a board though.
    Last edited by Bendthe Bar; 07-11-2008 at 04:53 PM.
    The average is the borderline that keeps mere men in their place. Those who step over the line are heroes by the very
    act. Go. - H. Rollins

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    I believe the key thing to avoid is "squishy" soled shoes. You don't want your heels to roll. Anything that is hard or flat should be fine. Even work boots. I think flat soles are more specifically recommended for dead lifts.

I usually lift barefoot. But sometimes I'll wear my Nike Frees or flip-flops depending on the level of cardio I'm planning on doing for general warm up or after lifting. I'm also lifting on top of 3/4" solid rubber.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

i use olympic lifting shoes with the heel for squatting, but deadlift barefoot

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

Many records have been set squatting in a pair of old workboots. There's nothing wrong with squatting barefoot, but nobody wants you spreading your DNA around the gym when you drop a plate on your foot, so do it only in your own home please.

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    nobody wants you spreading your DNA around the gym when you drop a plate on your foot
    So don't drop them!
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bendthe Bar View Post
    I dont know if its just me, but I find it harder to get really low when barefoot. However im not discounting it in any way. Just my own experience.
    Even the 1/2 inch or more that an average training shoe lifts your heel makes a serious difference when going deep. I do know that depth will ultimately depend on your hamstring/glute flexibility more so.

I think it is a case of, the less fancy the shoe, the better. (by fancy i mean shox, gel, air or whatever......incorporated in the heel). The softer the heel, the more movement occurs. There really isnt much to those canvas type chuck taylor shoes so using them would be as close to barefoot as possible without entering the gym shoeless.

I prefer a slight lift. Wouldnt go as far as using a board though.
    i think front squats are easier and i can get way deeper with weightlifting shoes (VS's) but back squats are easier and i can get deeper with chuck's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Mike View Post
    Arnold and those guys back in the day use to do it.
    Yep.

"This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time."
    -Tyler Durden

I do everything in Oly lifting shoes.

I have the flexiviltiy to comfortably full squat barefoot but any decent weight makes my feety hurt alot. I prefer the solid support and hard heel of my shoes.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

I workout naked so ya, barefoot here. But I dont go to a gym...