The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

How Do You Choose Between 3x5 & 5x5?

Why would you pick one over the other?

3x5's or 5x5's? What should the difference in results be?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I picked 3x5 because it's less stuff I have to do.

I think it is more a personal preference than anything. Do you like to train with ramping weights (5x5) or do you like to do the same weight for all sets 3x5.

For me, 3x5 is easier, find your 3x5 weight for a given lift, do it for a week, add 5-10 pounds (depending on the lift) next week. The 5x5 is a little more indepth, but still not rocket science.

This thread is a little old but I still have the same question... but different. My question now isn't choosing so much as wondering if I should switch to 5x5's. The thing is Im doing my max rep's (3x5's) but I could do it 5 times... actually, more, 7? 8? no ramping up, just some warm up reps with a bar at half weight or so. So am I some sort of super hero freak because of this? lol. Should I be doing 5 sets if I can?

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    I got a couple of questions.

1st. is how long have you been on your current routine? I wouldn't change until milked all the gains you can out of it.

2nd. is are you lifting enough weight? You should just barely be able to get out that last rep before form breaks down. It should be like that whether you do a 3x5 or 5x5 routine.

Otherwise, use all rep and set ranges at one point or another. It all depends on your goals at the time.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

Not a long time, Since june, but had to take a month and half off to do a stone patio.

Yes, Im diffinately doing my 5 max reps... just saying I could do my 5 max reps 10 times.

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    Laying a patio is enough reason to have a month and a half away from the gym? I know its not a valid reply but come on!
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

Wannabebig Member
    Oh you could do more sets for 5 reps? That's impressive if you really can't do any more weight for 5 reps! For my 5x5 I'd always be struggling to complete the last rep and much of the time it was more 5 sets of 4 plus some partial failed rep followed by pain.

Wannabebig Member
    well 5x5 is just a little more advanced...i dont know otherwise

If you can do your 5 RM 10 times, it isn't your 5RM.

Wannabebig New Member
    Change it up...I change up the amount of sets, reps I do every 3-4 weeks. I'm not an expert but keep your body guessing on what you are going to do

Quote Originally Posted by Kong View Post
    Laying a patio is enough reason to have a month and a half away from the gym? I know its not a valid reply but come on!

Uh, when your working on it everyday and they're 400lb stones... yeah
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by motor head; 11-03-2008 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markdk86 View Post
    If you can do your 5 RM 10 times, it isn't your 5RM.

sweet! so I am a superhero freak!......JK , Ive never tried but I know I could do more than 3 sets. Maybe I'll see what I can do on my workout tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by motor head View Post
    sweet! so I am a superhero freak!......JK , Ive never tried but I know I could do more than 3 sets. Maybe I'll see what I can do on my workout tomorrow.
    I think he is saying reps not sets. Try 5X5 and see how it works for you. If you have no problem on your 4th and 5th set try slowing down the rep speed and making sure your form is good.

Weaker
    Soo, we've established that 5x5 is a 'little more advanced'.

Anyone care to explain the differences?

I know that may seem sarcastic and I may have even missed the explanations up there something.
    Journal

BW: 12st/1168lbs
    Height: 5'9"
    Big hiatus, deciding on new goals...

First of all, to the OP, I can't figure out what the hell you're talking about. You can lift your 5RM 5 times and you can lift your 10RM 10 times. You can't lift your 5RM 10 times (I think that would be painfully obvious).

The difference between 3x5 and 5x5 is 2 less sets. Seriously. That's it. It's really an issue of recovery. If you can recover from doing 5x5 as many times a week as you would do 3x5, then go for it.

For novices, which you are, 3x5 is enough work to cause adaptation. Adding an additional 2 sets will only accumulate additional fatigue, and result in earlier stalls.

That said, if you can rep the weight 8x, it's not your 5 rep max, and you need to stop being a pussy and put more weight on the bar.

5x5 is a decent amount of volume... 25 reps is substantial.

I work in the 3x3 range.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

to the OP, many people have labour jobs on building sites etc so you should of still went to the gym, also like everyone else has stated if you can do a weight for 10 reps that is not your 5rm thats your 10rm!! your 5RM is when you can only do that given weight 5 reps and no more!!

You guys think too much. Just pick one and stick with it until it stops working. Then do the other one.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy07 View Post
    to the OP, many people have labour jobs on building sites etc so you should of still went to the gym, also like everyone else has stated if you can do a weight for 10 reps that is not your 5rm thats your 10rm!! your 5RM is when you can only do that given weight 5 reps and no more!!

How many times do I have to say Im doing the 5 max rep!?!? I strugle to make the 5th lift. Im simply asking why one would choose either and stated that I could do my 5 max reps more than 3 times. If it would be futile at my level then thats good information and thanks to who ever provided it.

As far as the labor jobs, thanks for that bit of insight. The job was for myself at my house so I didn't rent a machine to do the work like your supposed to and like what would be done at someones job. I was doing stuff I shouldn't have been doing that workers wouldnt be asked to do. I'd like to see you move these rocks around all day, period, never mind lifting weights afterward.
    Last edited by motor head; 11-04-2008 at 04:31 PM.