The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

chin up vs pull ups...

Chin = palms facing u, pullups = away..

what does each work tho? Which is the one in WBB#1?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think that's backwards...

I always thought of it as Chris' way. Palms facing you, whatever you want to call it, puts the biceps in a more advantageous position. Palms away makes your back work more. If you first do palms away to near-failure, you can still do some more with palms facing.
    Last edited by Delphi; 03-25-2002 at 06:22 PM.

I'm 15 atm and the main part of my training before I started going to the gym was chinups/pullups, so I can tell you exactly what I got out of doing almost exclusively this exercise.
    I started with chinups, I did these for a while because it was so convenient, just before I went to bed, I'd do a set of about 10 (now increased to around 14-16). I noticed a LOT of forearm development, and because I was doing hardly any other exercise I am as sure as I can be that this was from the chinups.
    I just measured my forearms and currently they are around 11.5" in diameter. From very small to relatively big for my age.
    I also noticed a lot of upper back growth, which was expected because chinups/pullups are mainly an exercise for the back (correct?).
    I also noticed an increase in the size or my arms; triceps, biceps etc. (My current upper arm size is around 13")
    I recently changed to pullups/overhand because I wanted the top part of my forearms to grow, not just the 'belly' of the forearms. I have been doing these for a while and have noticed that a muscle near my elbow has become more prominent. (Sorry, dont know the names of the muscles )
    Hope this helps, maybe im a freak or something and this shouldnt happen, but it did.
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

Delphi; palms facing you is similar to a bicep curl...

I think chin-ups are harder and are a better exercise for your back than pull-ups.

You have it right, Chris... I just found an artical that clearly defines which is which. It's actually a pretty good artical about the subject.

Check it out...

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    I do palms away and call them pullups

bone crusher
    good article

Never fails. I always laugh when someone tries to come up with a scientific explanation for the difference between pull ups and chin ups. There is no difference because they are the same damned thing. How you place your hands does not change the basic movement.

I prefer to use the term chin ups because the huggies theme song kicks in whenever I hear "pull ups."

Anyway, your biceps will always fail before your back, so put them in their strongest position (palms facing you) so your back gets as much work as possible.

By the way, I do squats, but I call them floor lifts.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

bone crusher
    are you talking about the article?

SUre didn't seem scietific to me???

I might have exaggerated the "scientific" part, doc.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

bone crusher
    heh heh

theres a major difference anthony.. do push ups wth a wide grip then do them with a narrow grip you'll feel the difference.

3:16
    palms facing you. better as explained here.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...highlight=chin
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Definitely palms facing you. After trying these Ill never go back. Damn nice link. This whole time I have kind of been doing an in between movement of sternum chins and regular chin ups.