Thread: ok continueing from last weeks miss

Banned

ok continueing from last weeks miss

some of you read my post last week about missing 195x5 for 195x3 on the 3rd week of bill starrs 5x5. i ramp the weight by 10% up to the 5rm for the day.

last week was this:
    120x5
    140x5
    155x5
    175x5
    195x3 (should have been 5)
    195x1 (tried again

this week was me attempting it again
    120x5
    140x5
    155x5
    175x5
    195x4 (improvement but still missed by one, shoulder blades were slipping)
    195x3 (tried again and still missed it)

also, last friday i did get 200x3, if i am able to get 200x3 on friday, the program expects me to get 200x5 on monday...but im still stuck on 195x5...

should i just try again next week and probably hit it?

First off, it looks like you messed up putting your numbers in. You shouldn't go with your all time best for the spreadsheet, you should go with your current numbers. You shouldn't be missing weights the third week, that's why I'm guessing you started too high.

I've always had the best luck going back in weight for a workout and then getting the weight the next week. Even if you get 195x5 next week, what about 200x5 the following? Are you just going to build up week to week to the number you should have gotten several weeks earlier? Reread the links Rick gave you, I think it tells you what to do in them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
    First off, it looks like you messed up putting your numbers in. You shouldn't go with your all time best for the spreadsheet, you should go with your current numbers. You shouldn't be missing weights the third week, that's why I'm guessing you started too high.

I've always had the best luck going back in weight for a workout and then getting the weight the next week. Even if you get 195x5 next week, what about 200x5 the following? Are you just going to build up week to week to the number you should have gotten several weeks earlier? Reread the links Rick gave you, I think it tells you what to do in them.
    well i started the routine with 185x5 on the first week, i can rep that about 8 times now

You started too heavy.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    You started too heavy.
    i dont see how benching 175x5 is gonna get me any stronger if i can do it for 10 reps. and if all you guys are telling me what i did wrong, do you have any suggestions on what i should do? i might as well go back to my split when i get a gym membership, atleast that worked for something

Your right... 5x5 obviously has not worked for anyone before. Just go back to doing max reps all the time.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    Your right... 5x5 obviously has not worked for anyone before. Just go back to doing max reps all the time.
    first of all, i used to do a split that had an 8-10 rep range and i had great results using it. if all im doing is 175x5 working my way up again im never gonna reach my goals with this routine. im just gonna keep plateauing again so i have to repeat the weeks.

so if u dont wanna read that, all i asked was "why start over when im probably going to plateau again?"

and if you guys want me to eat more. i eat plenty of healthy foods, such as oats, chicken, brown rice, skim milk, red meat. will not eat anything unhealthy, thats not an option.

edit: also, after i stopped doing the split i havent really gained much strength and no size besides my forearms from overhand grip deads.
    Last edited by frank; 07-14-2008 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by failed View Post
    first of all, i used to do a split that had an 8-10 rep range and i had great results using it. if all im doing is 175x5 working my way up again im never gonna reach my goals with this routine. im just gonna keep plateauing again so i have to repeat the weeks.
    How do you think going higher reps is going to keep you from hitting plateaus? The first month of the workout is a build up where you slowly add weight, you didn't do that and that's why you're missing weight the third week.

so if u dont wanna read that, all i asked was "why start over when im probably going to plateau again?"
    So you can break through plateaus. Do you honestly think you will never hit a plateau with whatever rep scheme you choose?

and if you guys want me to eat more. i eat plenty of healthy foods, such as oats, chicken, brown rice, skim milk, red meat. will not eat anything unhealthy, thats not an option.
    I don't care what you eat, but you don't weigh much so you can't be eating that much.

edit: also, after i stopped doing the split i havent really gained much strength and no size besides my forearms from overhand grip deads.
    You're in your fourth week, what are you expecting? If you think your split is better, use it. No one is forcing you to use a split that is proven and has worked for many people.
    Many people have tried to help you in your threads and you don't listen. You don't bother doing any research that would answer your own questions and when given the answers, you argue. If you aren't willing to do the workout right, don't bother doing it. If you aren't willing to listen, stop asking.

if you add the total weight lifted by doing it your way, ramping up 5x5 your total weight if you hit all 5 on 195 would be:
    (120*5)+(140*5)+(155*5)+(175*5)+(195*5) = 3925
    if you did 175 for 5x5 it would be
    (175*5)+(175*5)+(175*5)+(175*5)+(175*5) = 4375
    so for the actual bench session, you would have lifted MORE weight than what you are currently doing. your body would not know the difference, only that in the second case, you lifted more total weight during the sets. not to mention the added benefit of being A LOT easier to track weight. once you get 5x5 with 175, you move up 5-10 lbs the next week, and repeat.

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by motoko013 View Post
    if you add the total weight lifted by doing it your way, ramping up 5x5 your total weight if you hit all 5 on 195 would be:
    (120*5)+(140*5)+(155*5)+(175*5)+(195*5) = 3925
    if you did 175 for 5x5 it would be
    (175*5)+(175*5)+(175*5)+(175*5)+(175*5) = 4375
    so for the actual bench session, you would have lifted MORE weight than what you are currently doing. your body would not know the difference, only that in the second case, you lifted more total weight during the sets. not to mention the added benefit of being A LOT easier to track weight. once you get 5x5 with 175, you move up 5-10 lbs the next week, and repeat.
    ok but 2 questions...

1. should i still bench fridays session aswell?

2. should i ramp weight for my other lifts?

i was just pointing out that doing 175 5x5 would be more work than the ramping you are doing. i'm actually doing bill starr's as well as i like the ramping for now, since i've been doing 5x5 at a set weight for awhile. i honestly think you may have started a bit too high with the calculations because you're not supposed to miss weight on the 3rd week. if you want to continue bill starr's you may as well just repeat the bench and move on for everything else. at least let the routine work for 6 weeks before trying something new

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

i get sick of this dude also Mike
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 190

Louisville's NE YMCA

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by motoko013 View Post
    i was just pointing out that doing 175 5x5 would be more work than the ramping you are doing. i'm actually doing bill starr's as well as i like the ramping for now, since i've been doing 5x5 at a set weight for awhile. i honestly think you may have started a bit too high with the calculations because you're not supposed to miss weight on the 3rd week. if you want to continue bill starr's you may as well just repeat the bench and move on for everything else. at least let the routine work for 6 weeks before trying something new
    ok thanks alot for the advice, i am continuing with the other lifts tho

Quote Originally Posted by kevowamo View Post
    i get sick of this dude also Mike
    instead of posting for no reason, would be nice for some advice? none of you guys give straight answers

you never take a straight answer f tard! if you missed the weight, lower your expectations and accept what your muscles are doing. dont rush it, lower the weight
    Last edited by kevowamo; 07-15-2008 at 09:29 AM.
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 190

Louisville's NE YMCA

Banned
    maybe the 5x5 program doesnt work for everyone, doesnt work for me.